Who should've gotten the Nobel prize?

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Obama deserves the Nobel prize

Agree
7%
Disagree
93%

Total votes: 15

daveshorty

Who should've gotten the Nobel prize?

Post by daveshorty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Frank!

In light of the slightly insane awarding of the Nobel prize to Pres. Obama, I've been having a think of who might have been more deserving.

I'd love to know who might have gotten your nomination?

Oh I've also made a wee poll to see who thought it was a good idea...

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:27 pm

difficult to say, but at least someone who'd actually, you know, done something. there's a fair argument that Clinton should have got it (northern ireland). but that's not really the point. it's more the ridiculousness of the award. i think it's hugely disappointing that obama accepted. by turning it down he would have demonstrated real courage and thought.

daveshorty

Post by daveshorty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:47 pm

yeah exactly! in fact my first thought was that the white house would have been flipping out, shitting themselves because they'd realise it would make a bit of a mockery of him. i can't believe they totally played along with it!

great show in belfast by the way.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Whilst I certainly would have a lot more respect for him had he turned it down, I can't imagine his advisors would have thought it a good idea. It's amazing how few people have seen fit to point out what a joke it is in the press from what i've seen (although Fabio Capello's line comparing Beckham's man of the match award having been on the pitch for half an hour to Obama winning the nobel prize was pretty ace) and turning it down would have been risking angering some within the establishment whilst not gaining any real benefit.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

daveshorty

Post by daveshorty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:57 pm

do you not think the vast majority of those still suffering from obama-is-the-new-messiah-mania have had their bubble burst by it?

seems to me like the general public will be a bit fed up at this stage. maybe not - it's hard to judge what everyone's thinking, but i'd have thought the obama crew wouldn't have wanted to rock that boat.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:02 pm

They're already in a rather iffy war of words with one of the networks (Fox iirc), whilst i'm assuming CNN still love the whole administration. Weird how it works over there, although I guess BBC (Labour) and Sky (Tory) are our watered down equivalent.

Globally though, I think Obama-mania is sadly still alive and well. I saw a few of my friends on facebook who i actually class as vaguely knowledgeable applauding the decision. Very odd indeed.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

daveshorty

Post by daveshorty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:10 pm

well sure we'll give him time - they all make dicks out of themselves eventually.

will_t

Post by will_t » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:27 pm

I suppose he accepted it on credit - he better pay for it sooner rather than later, eh?

Problem is, he accepted so the lunatic right, fox news, rush limbaughs etc can say its an example of him being a celebrity in europe, courting mantelpiece trophies as opposed to any meaningful, measurable political good.

If he hadnt have accepted it then I'm fairly certain that the same people would have criticised him for being rude on the international stage and unstatesmanlike and unsuitable for the job as president etc etc etc.

Very much a rock and a hard place, IMHO
Frasier the mountie, innit?
-----------------------------

~Katt

Post by ~Katt » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:19 pm

daveshorty wrote:do you not think the vast majority of those still suffering from obama-is-the-new-messiah-mania have had their bubble burst by it?
The only people who think that are figments of the loony rights' imaginations.

It's unfortunate that being awarded something called the "Peace Prize" can be viewed as a negative thing by so many people. It's not like he asked for it, nor does it serve anyone if he were to turn it down, though I think he might be able to tactfully do so in the name of "conflict of interests" or questionable constitutionality:

Article I, Section 9, of the Constitution, the emolument clause, clearly stipulates: "And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State."

He could call it an emolument and politely decline, I suppose.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:29 pm

I think I should have gotten the noble peace prize for offensive lyrics.

I'd have gone up and said "Take that Obama, you supposivly left-wing plonker"

Yeah
Adam_Bennett wrote:..I'm a folk rock musician similar to Boucher and everyone else.

Chrisbrfc

Post by Chrisbrfc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:18 am

Gerry wrote:I think I should have gotten the noble peace prize for offensive lyrics.

Yeah

Surely you can muster up something more offensive than plonker?

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Gerry wrote:I think I should have gotten the noble peace prize for offensive lyrics.

Yeah
Surely the Nobel Offensive Lyrics Prize rather than the Peace prize?