Build Me Up Buttercup

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

waywardson

Build Me Up Buttercup

Post by waywardson » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 pm

Hey Frank,

Heard the original for the first time the other day on the radio and had no idea how upbeat it was originally, and don’t really know anything at all about it. What’s the backstory behind your cover?

Cheers,
Steve

NickSouthampton

Re: Build Me Up Buttercup

Post by NickSouthampton » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:49 am

It's weird because I heard them the other way around. I knew the bouncy original and it was only when I heard Frank's version that I was fully aware of the passion and yearning in the words.

There is a bit of a tradition of upbeat songs with words that have a totally different feeling, starting from the Beatles "Help".
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

Sivvy

Post by Sivvy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 am

‘Happy Together’ by the Turtles is another great example. Despite the upbeat 60s pop stylings and catchy singalongs, the lyrics are horribly dark - at best, a sad tale of unrequited love, but to my ears, really sinister and stalkerish (“Imagine me and you; I do, I think about you day and night” and so on, with references at the end to suggest the woman in question doesn’t even know him). I’m always bemused when it appears on happy ‘love song’ compilations.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 am

waywardson wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 pm
Hey Frank,

Heard the original for the first time the other day on the radio and had no idea how upbeat it was originally, and don’t really know anything at all about it. What’s the backstory behind your cover?

Cheers,
Steve
Hi there. I was asked to cover a song from 1968 to mark the 40th anniversary of the founding of Shelter, back in 2008 (I'm pretty sure). I've always loved that song, but I wanted to come at it in a different way. Et voila.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."