Political songs

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

NickSouthampton

Political songs

Post by NickSouthampton » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:11 am

You have said in the past that you would avoid political songs. What changed your mind?
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

Pete

Re: Political songs

Post by Pete » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:17 am

frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Thank Pete. I wonder if art needs the grit in the oyster, shame the grit has to be Trump and Brexit.

If Le Pen gets in then it's off to the barricades.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Yeah something like that article says. I've found it hard in the last few years to find any meaningful artistic angle on my politics. I couldn't find words that were worth singing in that field. The world has shifted now, and the one silver lining I can see is that it's totally opened up that part of my brain.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Great minds etc.

"This is not a time to be dismayed, this is punk rock time.This is what Joe Strummer trained you for" Henry Rolllins

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:13 am

I must confess to remaining entirely ambivalent. Trump is clearly a fucking idiot and dangerous, but Tony Blair was far more malevolent and will likely go down in history as being more dangerous in terms of lives cost. Similar to Bush Jr, who amazingly was also more stupid than Trump.

Where we are now with 24 hour media coverage and constant press negativity sees these things brought into sharper focus, but rather than hold people accountable it merely desensitizes the masses while enraging and emboldening the fringes into giving no government or leader reasonable time and often pulling against eminently sensible ideas merely because they are tribally opposed due to a claimed position of principle. At the end of the day, all of these outcomes being complained about, happened as a result of democratic systems that were barely questioned before the events, despite seemingly being the height of contention now. Those who protest too heavily against democracy risk being seen as bullies who push the silent masses more towards protest positions and push politics more towards the extremities. That's not to say that protest is always counterproductive, just that it has to be very carefully balanced and integrated into reasoned debate as opposed to being name calling and grandstanding. What Frank has mentioned regarding listening and discussing these areas rationally is massively under-practiced (especially on social media) and one of the main reason I stopped actively showing interest in politics - bored of people calling me names and telling me i didn't know what I was talking about when they had nothing but rhetoric and bluster to their argument.

Meh. I'd rather watch Celebrity Big Brother and forget about these cunts.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 am

Pete wrote:Tony Blair was far more malevolent and will likely go down in history as being more dangerous in terms of lives cost.
Bollocks.
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 pm

You can call me on the malevolent comment (although not something either of us are really able to prove, all I can say is that Blair appears far more calculating than Trump and has managed the dubious achievement of accruing wealth from even more shady means than Trump), not entirely sure the lives cost can be construed as bollocks until Trump has fabricated evidence to start bombing civilians.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Pete wrote:You can call me on the malevolent comment (although not something either of us are really able to prove, all I can say is that Blair appears far more calculating than Trump and has managed the dubious achievement of accruing wealth from even more shady means than Trump), not entirely sure the lives cost can be construed as bollocks until Trump has fabricated evidence to start bombing civilians.
So you're saying Blair is more culpable for Iraq than Bush?! Nonsense.
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Not at all, no. I'm saying at this point in time Blair has a worse human rights record / is responsible for the death of more innocent people than Donald Trump and were I a betting man, I think it'll stay that way. Bush and Blair are culpable for their own decisions, neither more so than the other.