Aztec Camera

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

greezy

Aztec Camera

Post by greezy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:33 pm

As a mullet-mopped hipster in 1989 I asked out the local punk girl for a date. For reasons I can't explain, she accepted. For our first date I decided to: 1) not see a Midnight screening of Pink Flamingoes, 2) not see Root Boy Slim in concert. Instead, I opted for a Rocky and Bullwinkle film festival (my devious plan worked and we've been together 27 years). Since she was punk and officially cool, I was presented with an immediate problem. What first date cassette do I play in my car that might be true to the both the Jimi Hendrix T-shirt-wearing-me and tap the toe of the all-black, spider web mascara-wearing her. I worked at a record store and my boss suggested the live Aztec Camera EP, "Backwards and Forwards".

My question: ever heard it?
Acoustic but deliberately new wave/punk.

If anyone is searching for it, it's painfully out-of-print. The better versions of "Knife" include it in the extra songs.

Can't wait for the Silver Spring Fillmore show in Jan...
Relax. This won't hurt.

Evan

Re: Aztec Camera

Post by Evan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:30 am

I know I am not Frank, but I do know something about this EP. First and foremost, despite Roddy Frame being Scottish and it having two tracks recorded live in London on it, as I understand it there was never a European release of this EP. Unusually (considering there is a 10"), the most sought after version is the cassette. And the 1998 release on CD in Japan is the most valuable.

I only know all of this as I attempted to run an online record store at some point and someone asked me to get it for them. Which I did. Their version of Jump (by Van Halen) was not to my liking, but I love Roddy Frame.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:55 pm

Not familiar as it goes.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

greezy

Post by greezy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Evan - Yeah, I had he cassette in the USA. It wore out and I was mortified. I agree, "Jump" is absolutely frightful.

Frank - Maybe sometime "Knife" will cross your path. Certainly worth a listen.
Relax. This won't hurt.

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:39 pm

One of the best albums in the last 15 years is "Surf" by Roddy Frame, almost perfect songs and some amazing guitar playing.

Tom Robinson liked it so much at the time that he said if anyone bought it and didn't like it then he would send them the cost of the album, don't think he had to put his hand in his pocket.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

greezy

Post by greezy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Wow. Sounds like something I want to hear. I'll track it down. Thanks.
Relax. This won't hurt.