Women in Music

If you have a specific question you want me to get back to, put it here and I'll think about it

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

eleanordc

Women in Music

Post by eleanordc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello Frank,

Thank you for all the work you do with Safe Gigs for Women. Seems like an absolute no brainer but I know not everyone gets it.

I'm curious to know some of the women in music; past and present that have influenced you. On a related note, are you familiar with Haim, the L.A based band made up of three sisters?

Thanks for the time, see you in 2018!
Eleanor

frank
Site Admin

Re: Women in Music

Post by frank » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 am

Hello. Thanks! I know of Haim, I know people who work for them, but can't say I'm familiar with the music. I'm a huge fan of Nina Simone, Regina Spektor, Tori Amos, Kate Bush etc. Also loved all the L7 / Bikini Kill / Riot Grrl stuff.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

eleanordc

Post by eleanordc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:04 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Check out Haim if you have a chance. They may not be in everyone's wheelhouse and I was a bit surprised when they opened, along with Bear's Den, for Mumford and Sons in 2013. Nevertheless, they hooked me. Happiest of holidays to you and your loved ones.

hellbound

Post by hellbound » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Eleanor

Marika Hackman

Saw them at Reading last year whilst wandering around and they impressed me enough to stop wandering wherever it was I was heading.....

eleanordc

Post by eleanordc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks for that, I'll check her out!

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:00 pm

eleanordc wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:04 am
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Check out Haim if you have a chance. They may not be in everyone's wheelhouse and I was a bit surprised when they opened, along with Bear's Den, for Mumford and Sons in 2013. Nevertheless, they hooked me. Happiest of holidays to you and your loved ones.
I mixed them up in my head with the band called The Staves from the UK - also three sisters. They appeared in the documentary "From Austin to Boston" from 2014 which is worth watching!! :)

"5 old VW's. 4 bands. 3 thousand miles. 2 weeks. 1 gloriously backwards tour. Featuring Ben Howard, The Staves, Nathaniel Rateliff and Bear's Den."
65 gigs in 16 countries...
moving, keep moving - the tour never stops.

Twitter/Instagram: @MySuitcaseLife

eleanordc

Post by eleanordc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:52 am

I agree, From Austin to Boston is definitely worth seeing! Filmmaker, James Marcus Haney's story of going from sneaking into festivals because he couldn't afford to get in to becoming Mumford and Sons full time photographer/videographer is pretty impressive! I've still got to make the time to see his film, No Cameras Allowed. I was fortunate enough to meet him briefly after a Mumford and Sons show and he seemed like a sweet, down to earth guy.