Hay?

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

sarahg

Hay?

Post by sarahg » Wed May 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Anyone else off to Hay on Wye this Friday?
Can't wait, never been before!

Bella

Re: Hay?

Post by Bella » Thu May 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Me :-)

its going to be muddy... rain inthe morning and parts of the afternoon, so take care and maybe se you there :-)

thanks to Craven I'm getting a lift part way home so I can actually make it

(Craven - if you are reading this I sent you my mobile number because I don't have internet once I've left the house!
my phone is phone, it makes calls and does texts and thats all ;-) )

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Thu May 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Oh brilliant! I hope you will come say hello, (but will understand if you don't ha!) you can't miss me hobbling about on my sticks! Am Billy no mates as husband refused to see Frank AGAIN, sigh, heathen. I came up early to make sure I can manage the long day. If you are going on the A40 there are quite a few sets of road works through Abergavenny, but should be ok late at night I would guess.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat May 30, 2015 12:27 am

Sarah and Bella, how was the festival? Saw some nice photos.
shows? 70 so far

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sat May 30, 2015 1:10 pm

darlenet. wrote:Sarah and Bella, how was the festival? Saw some nice photos.
Aww thanks for asking! It was awesome. Surreal though. Being a literary festival there were lots of extremely posh folks there. I had fun playing guess the ft fan to pass the time until the show. It was this cleanest and best organised festival I have been to. The stewards really looked after me. Met some fabulous people, laughed myself silly. Frank signed books for about an hour and a half, he hugged and posed for photos with everyone, despite he friends taking the piss out of him. I was rather struck on Dave Danger as it goes, rather handsome.
We have a famous family duo of historians called Jon and Dan Snow, they feature alot on our TV screens. They did a book signing at the same time as ft, their queue fizzled out long before Ft' s, they probably wondered who the hell he was. Dan Snow is a bit of a Frank look alike too so it amused me greatly, especially as he had a sweatshirt on saying Sex, Drugs and History...can't help thinking Frank would have liked to have met him.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sat May 30, 2015 4:21 pm

Also, being mainly on my own I passed my time people watching trying to guess the ft fans. Which was way harder than it sounds. A couple sat behind me while I ate, I had them down as ft fans and was about to say hi, but stopped when I heard the following: "So, who is this Ben Turner bloke"? "Oh he has really rich parents, but he went all working class and does charity for the poor, I think".
WTF!!!!!!!!!!

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:22 pm

sarahg wrote:Also, being mainly on my own I passed my time people watching trying to guess the ft fans. Which was way harder than it sounds. A couple sat behind me while I ate, I had them down as ft fans and was about to say hi, but stopped when I heard the following: "So, who is this Ben Turner bloke"? "Oh he has really rich parents, but he went all working class and does charity for the poor, I think".
WTF!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the reports sarah!

Glad you got to go and see Frank! My mother in law lives in Suffolk- would love to go to the festival there in July but looks like that's not going to happen so I love hearing your review!

Bella

Post by Bella » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Hay was amazing!

Soooooo many book shops.... I might have bought... erm... one or two (bags full).... and its possible I might have totally geeked out in the map shop.... :shock:

also a very pretty place. I had lunch/tea by the river with some swans and their six tiny, fluffy cygnets... between the heavy rain showers, it was a wonderful place.

Frank's book talk was well done - funny, honest, informative. He's good at those. Some lovely questions from the audience too.

I was lucky enough to also see Neil Gaiman talk. I'm a fan of his and only found him through Terry Prattchet - whom I am a pretty huge fan of. Terry and Neil wrote a book together called Good Omens. If you know the basic outline of the horror movie The Omen, there are a number of referances to it that are very funny. Neil spoke about writting this with Terry and about Terry's altzhiemers and his death. it was very moving. He then went onto talk about a current book I don't yet own and need to..... more shopping ;-)

(there is also a tv series that I did not realise untill years later is also by Neil Gaiman - called Neverwhere.... its sort of set in London, but London below.... where Knightsbridge is actully a bridge with a knight, and The Angel Islington is an actual Angel ;-) :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere )

Franks acoustic set was great, as ever. Gig buddies saved me a spot so I wasn't alone. The security guys told us he couldn't start till we were all seated so we dutifully sat down... about... ohhhhhh all of three lines into the first song over half the audience was on their feet and most of the front three lines was now between the seats and the stage :-) All the security guys did was get one of those tape barrier things and tape off the desk at the side of the stage.... so we danced and sang our hearts out.

HUGE shout out to Craven for giving me a lift most of the way home - I could not have gone at all if it were not for Craven's kindness.

I have met some amazing people through this forum and through the various FB pages - you are all superstars - THANK YOU!

And lovely to meet you Sarah! Sorry I couldn't stop and say hello properly, the time between FT / NG / FT was very short.....

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots