Northamption/Bath gigs and beer

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

blastman

Northamption/Bath gigs and beer

Post by blastman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:26 pm

So I'm jetting in for the Northampton and Bath gigs tomorrow and Friday, anyone around for a beer or three on either night? Dan, I'm looking at you....

Danlechief

Re: Northamption/Bath gigs and beer

Post by Danlechief » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Ha! Yeah man. I'm doing bath-Yeovil-looe-Exeter. Will have tour flag in bath too!! Don't really know where to meet though, don't know bath as well as I used to. still haven't found a place to stay either.
"Age is no object if you're in love.

Oh shit what have I just said?"

frank turner, Birmingham, 18th November 2015

blastman

Post by blastman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Email me your number: pmccooe AT indigo.ie, I'll give you a shout. I should get to Bath around 4pm.

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Have done dude

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:49 am

What type of thing are you after? There are some lovely cocktail bars that do buy one get one free early eve, conversely there's a reasonable and big Wetherspoons that may be more up your street. Bath is relatively small but also rich in alcoholic options.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

blastman

Post by blastman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 am

Thnaks Pete, just looking for a decent bar near the venue, really.

Dan, didn't get an email, or I might have accidentally deleted it, can you send again? ( pmccooe AT indigo DOT ie )

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:22 am

That's weird. I just replied to the last email you sent about the records. Il do it again later.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:43 am

Bath isn't very big - all bars are 5-10 mins from venue unless you go really off piste.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

blastman

Post by blastman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 pm

To whoever requested Balthazar, Impresario for Northampton, THANK YOU! To the pr!cks who were talking loudly during it, thanks for nothing. Fair play to you, Frank, for calling them on it, shame they were too ignorant to heed you.

Today was the tenth anniversary of Frank's first solo gig, so what else was there to do but sing happy birthday. Surreal...

Roll on Bath tomorrow.

Faulksp

Post by Faulksp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:18 pm

OK..... Where to start !

Saw Frank last week in Leicester brilliant show, friendly crowd in fact all you expect from a Frank Turner audience. I sang and danced to old songs, new songs and enjoyed banter with those around me. Was really looking forward to last night in Northampton.

Moving on to Northampton. Franks performance was, yet again, brilliant, but SOME of the audience, well quite a few actually were so drunk it was ridiculous.

Stood waiting for Franks entrance following, an excellent Koo Koo Kangaroo show, and all was fine. Then it happened the bar emptied with some of those who had obviously had a long session at the bar pushing straight to the front, aggressively. The show started, but not the drinking, supply lines were set up to ensure alcohol was delivered to the front - regardless of who got in the way ! Then I looked to my left. More casualities of a long drinking session were having a loud conversation during Frank's solo songs, well done Frank for challenging them.

As Franks set went on the level of hostility rose to the point I was looking forward to getting out of there, I have never felt like that at any gig never mind Frank Turner. I am aware that pushing and shoving happens at gigs, and I enjoy it, but last night it reached a whole new level. There a significant number of people acting in such an aggressive manner last night it was scary.........I loved Four Simple Words at Leicester last week, in Nottingham in February and Birmingham last year.....but last night it was dangerous. One person seemed to use it as a reason to assault everyone within a 3 foot radius of him whilst another cleared a massive space of his own to breakdance and hit out at ayone who got near. This was not mosh pit type stuff but half way back in an area that is normally a little safer !

Don't really know where I am going with this but it was my wifes first FT gig and she says she is never going again...such a shame. Things had started so well with everyone joining in with the Koo Koo boys. On the plus side getting out into the foyer early had its advantages as my wife and I got to speak to Koo Koo Kangaroo, and very nice they were to !

Did anyone else feel the same about last night or is it just me !

G1bbuk

Post by G1bbuk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:09 pm

It was a bit rough, we were just behind the moshing & some people were getting really pissed off with it.
I was just upset I didn't have a gold fannypack...

Oh, & fair play to Frank on calling out the idiots during "balthazar impresario". Not seen him do that before.

Faulksp

Post by Faulksp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:30 pm

It wasn't just me then !

metalyellowman

Post by metalyellowman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear that, I was at the Roadmender a couple of years ago for the Reading warm up and it was awesome, really great crowd he blew everyone away with the Queen somebody to love cover at the end!
Was due to go yesterday but couldn't at last minute, feelin kinda glad now, Really fucks me off when idiots try and spoil it, especially when Franks doing the solo bit, hope you manage to get your Mrs to another show without the dick heads!!
Wem Stad,Regal Ox,Borderline,Hippodrome(solo),Roadmender,Hammy O,Paradisio Amst,WemArena,Roundhouse(Solo),Hexagon,LeamSpa,02 Oxford, Pavill Bath,HMV Forum,2000 Trees(Solo),Forum Hatfield,02 Arena,Ynot,St Albans, Oxford,Cecil Sharpe house (book tour)

Bobstains

Post by Bobstains » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 am

I'm just sad that the biggest glitter ball i've ever seen was in action.last night.

Fay

Post by Fay » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:37 pm

I have to say I have never had a problem at a gig before but did end up having a drink chucked over me as I was in the wrong place at the wrong time (they were aiming at someone else) I often go to Frank gigs alone but will think twice now, was pretty glad to be with friends at this one.