Boston Calling/Cambridge

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Venomous_Bear

Boston Calling/Cambridge

Post by Venomous_Bear » Mon May 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Attended show #1568 and #1570 in Boston and Cambridge, respectively. How to explain?...
Y'know that thing of where you go to see one of your favourite bands, pretty sure you know what to expect in general (yet still really excited), and then have your expectations massively blown away by sheer brilliance?
That happened. Twice.
FT and TSS got an entire crowd of hipfolk in Boston to stop standing there with their arms crossed and PARTICIPATE. Walking around after, the majority of conversations I caught (couldn't help it...I'm not an asshole, you just hear words and then get excited when people are saying good things) found that most people that attended the festival weren't sure who Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls were prior to the performance, but thought they were the most entertaining and surprising act on Saturday (and some of these folks were the kind of people? Who made every statement? Sound like a question?).
Then Cambridge happened (a few hours ago, really),...not to brag, but Redemption, Jet Lag, Tattoos, Ballad AND Prufrock, Sailor's Boots (which I forgot was an option), Nashville TN and *new* Love Forty Down (which...I know I'm biased, but it's freaking great).
What I'm trying to say: the band I've been following around (oh dear, sorry) for the past nine or so months continues to outdo themselves. Nigel's solos were MINDBLOWING, Ben was EVEN MORE rifftastic than usual, Tarrant won "best bass face" and aced a tough test at the festival (the bass was turned up to about 12) and was the only bassist the entire weekend who was spot on for the entire performance, and Matt continued to add brilliant (yet subtle) nuances to continue my theory that he never plays a song quite the same way twice. Then that other guy...
I don't know how there is still any Turner left, because he has properly sung out what must amount to most of his soul by now. And yet, he keeps getting better and better. I don't know, but the vocals last night were ethereal, especially on Redemption. Guitar was spot fucking on. I know the Sinclair is known for having excellent sound, but it was also because Frank was....what he was last night.
I consider it a downright honour to be able to attend gigs of this calibre. In summary, hooraaaaaaaay *Kermit arm flail*
P.S. there's always something. Just this one thing. And it's not that it necessarily took away from the performances, but it's what he adds...the 5th Soul was missed. It's not our business why. It's just that he's fucking great too.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Watergirl

Re: Boston Calling/Cambridge

Post by Watergirl » Mon May 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Love your expression "Kermit arm flail" !
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 *1216* 1257/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 *1700* 1704/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 *2000* 2076/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55 2339/40/41/42/43/55/58/76

jonnyofthemagi

Post by jonnyofthemagi » Tue May 27, 2014 9:56 pm

The 5th Soul??

valderie

Post by valderie » Wed May 28, 2014 2:14 am

yeah. that sinclair show was my 55th gig of theirs and there was just something about it. once they came out and ballad started, it was like the whole crowd went "OH ITS ON" and it certainly was. the set list was fantastic, as was the performance and reception. when people ask me how i can see a band 50+ times and not be bored, i'm gonna be citing that show for sure as an example. (also how good is Love 40 Down?!)

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Fri May 30, 2014 6:23 pm

jonnyofthemagi wrote:The 5th Soul??
The 5th Soul is the illustrious certain Irish man, Cahir O'Doherty. He was killing it as usual in techland, but I missed him almost running into Tarrant every few seconds.
valderie wrote:yeah. that sinclair show was my 55th gig of theirs and there was just something about it. once they came out and ballad started, it was like the whole crowd went "OH ITS ON" and it certainly was. the set list was fantastic, as was the performance and reception. when people ask me how i can see a band 50+ times and not be bored, i'm gonna be citing that show for sure as an example. (also how good is Love 40 Down?!)
Precisely...oh man!!! I was trying to find you to make the "my face is melting" face.
Love 40 is such greatness!!! People are going to be very happy with the new stuff if the vibe at the Sinclair is any indication :D
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth