Best Gigs of 2013

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Blonde

Best Gigs of 2013

Post by Blonde » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Whilst we're on the subject of end of year lists, we can't leave out gigs. Once again in no particular order.

1. Sigur Ros, Nottingham Arena. Holy fuck, they are incredible live. They have such a clear live sound too. Its also interesting to see how each song comes together, as well as the great light show and visuals.
2. Public Service Broadcasting, Rescue Rooms, Notts. Only discovered these guys in the summer, but their whole sound, image and stage set up all come together as one and makes for a better live experience
3. Larry and His Flask, Crazy Arm, Retrospective Soundtrack Players, Jimmy Islip, Star and Garter, Manc. Everyone played a fantastic set and it was hard to choose the best band of the night.
4. Naymedici and Seas Of Mirth, The Venue, Derby Naymedici = Irish Gogol Bordello. Seas of Mirth = Pirate Gogol Bordello so a lot of fun was had and a lot of dancing was done. Also the only gig I've been attacked by a giant crab before it got in a wrestling match with a band member and joined in a game of tug of war. It was worth the sore arms I had the next couple of days.
5. Jim Lockey and the Solemn Sun, Bodega, Notts, April Best I've seen them this year outside of a festival.
6. Max Raptor, The Venue, Derby The crowd was always going to be up for it as they'd organised a Raptor bus from their local town especially for the gig. Will is a fantastic frontman, getting right in your face.
7. Frank Turner and The Sleeping Souls, Maida Vale Studios Still can't quite believe I got to go this. It was lovely to see friends old and new too. Best "normal" gig would be Manchester Academy.
8. The Joy Formidable, Rescue Rooms, Notts This band are incredible live. Such a massive sound. And they have a gong.
9. Muse, Ricoh Arena, Coventry They really know how to put on a show.
10. The Lancashire Hotpots, Rescue Rooms, Notts A lot of silliness, including the support act, Biscuit Head and the Biscuit Badgers. You can't not come away from a Hotpots gig without grinning.

DieselBenz

Re: Best Gigs of 2013

Post by DieselBenz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Forgive the repetitiveness ... I went to 36 gigs this year and 34 of them were one of two headliners. Narrow maybe, but fuck it, I like what I like, haha.
No order, other than organized by band so you can skip over the ones that bore you :wink: :
Muse, Madison Square Garden, April 16 - Second of back-to-back nights there ... the first night all of us on barrier made signs asking for a B-side they hadn't played in the U.S. for about a decade, and this second night they played it for us. Utter mayhem, for us up front. Somewhere there's a video of my friends and I wandering the streets of NYC post-gig singing said song very loudly and badly. Good times. Biffy Clyro supported, massive bonus.
Muse, Etihad Stadium, Manchester, June 1 - Finished off my run of four stadium gigs, all great. Loads of friends at these, great setlists, stunning production, and got my all-time favorite song (finally). Loved Bastille as an opener.
Muse, Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh, Sept. 8 - Begging for another, rarer B-side worked again. Cage The Elephant was fun support.
Muse, private performance, Philadelphia, Sept. 9 - Don't even know where to begin on this one. My friend won a radio contest and we got to watch soundcheck/minigig with 50 people, so cool. Also met Matt Bellamy after, which was really special as it was unexpected (wasn't really part of the package but the guys invited us up on the stage for a group shot then stuck around to talk/sign/do pictures individually).
Frank + SS, Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland, Oct. 4 - Tour opener, brilliant crowd. Had the pleasure of helping with the flag presentation. Seeing Koo Koo Kanga Roo for the first time was a delight, and Smith Street Band were a pleasure too.
Frank + SS, The Stone Pony, Asbury Park, June 8 - My first time at the legendary venue. Great crowd as expected, and I loved Beans On Toast.
Frank + SS, Higher Ground, Vermont, Aug. 2 - One of the crazier trips I've done, driving home a couple hours after the Maryland gig the day before, then up a couple hours later to drive 5 hours to NY to meet Reitzel6570, then on to VT ... we saw a camel on the way. One of the weirder venue locations I've seen, that one, but still got a great crowd. Got my favorite song, Jet Lag. Also I adored Ben Marwood.
Arctic Monkeys, Track 29, Chattanooga, Oct. 7 - Up there with the very craziest trips I've ever done, when considering the backstory. I saw these guys in 2011 at Lollapalooza (albeit from a puddle a half-mile from the stage) and was highly impressed, but then just kind of forgot to check them out properly (some other Turner guy distracted me I guess). This year when everyone started going on about their new record, I decided I ought to finally explore their stuff. But I decided to wait until after their Philly gig about an hour from my house, because I didn't want to be tempted to go, I'd spent too much on concerts. Genius plan, right? Downfall was when I did check them out a couple days later, I loved them so much I decided to drive all the way to Chattanooga to see them because it was "only 10 hours out of the way," on my way home from seeing Frank in Grand Rapids. I got up after the GR gig at 5 a.m., picked up a friend in DeKalb, 4 hours west, then drove fuck-knows how many hours south to the Chattanooga Choo Choo (a nerdily lovely place, btw, the venue is in the back lot), and queued for a band I'd been listening to for two weeks. Entirely worth it. Had so much silly fun with my friends and I loved every second of the show. Nine-hour drive home. Already got plans to see them again in Feb.

That was probably more detail than wanted, but I could have actually gone on more. What a great year.
Last edited by DieselBenz on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

waywardson

Post by waywardson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:42 am

Metz with White Lung opening, May 3rd 2013, in some basement place in Vancouver BC. Was in town for the weekend and just looking for some live music and happened across this show. Regional Canadian punk bands with awesome energy, crowd really into it. First time moshing in years, forgotten how much fun it is.

Gogol Bordello, October 6th 2013 at the free Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Par, San Francisco, CA. Been a casual fan of this band for some time, first time seeing them. Great energy, awesome pit, beautiful setting and with a gorgeous sunset to boot. They won me over for sure.

Frank Turner et al October 16th 2013 at the Fillmore in SF, CA . First time I got to see FT since first being turned onto him (you, if you're reading this) earlier this year on the strength of Four Simple Words. Started by being blown away by the unexpected awesomeness of Koo Koo Kangaroo, then the solid straight up rockingnes of the Smith Street Band. Finally getting to see FT after months of obsessing was just amazing. Wasn't sure what to expect from the crowd because of the relative low profile of FT in the states and Bay Area, but the all knew every word and yelled right along like I did. Another awesome pit and thought it seemed like Mr.Turner may have started out looking like anyone at the tail end of a heavy touring schedule, you could see him pulling himself together before your eyes. Left the show wanting more, way more.

Frank Turner et al at November 22nd, 2013 St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit MI. Was in Detroit a few day after the October show and saw the poster for FT while checking out another band at St Andrews - with the girl that would soon become my new girlfriend, and instantly knew I'd have to come back the next month for the show. 11/22 found me back in the D for the show. Koo Koo and the SSB were as great as the last time. Then FT hit the stage with me and my g/f who'm I'd since also converted into a huge FT fa, down front and center. Different opening song than previously, crowd again insanely into it, so fun dancing and mixing it up - her first pit! Highlights were young Joe leading the crowd in jumping jacks, the ridiculously great Turn the Page cover, slow dancing in the raging pit during Four Simple Words and not getting touched once, and the overall awesome vibe from crowd to performer and back. Wish I'd known about the habitual hanging out after the show back then. Can't wait until he (you) comes back to the states!!

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Bruce, Limerick
Frank, Nijmegen
Stones, Glastonbury
Mama Rosin, Dublin
Kris Kristofferson, Roskilde
Joe Pug, Dublin
Kíla, Dublin
The Waterboys (Fisherman's Blues revisited), Dublin
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 *1216* 1257/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 *1700* 1704/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 *2000* 2076/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55 2339/40/41/42/43/55/58/76

h26

Post by h26 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 pm

very tough to pick only 10 this year as i went to a lot of great smaller gigs, but here's the final choice:

turin brakes - the venue, derby
frightened rabbit - rescue rooms, nottingham
the joy formidable - the leadmill, sheffield
frank turner - academy, manchester
bruce springsteen - ricoh arena, coventry
primal scream - the kasbah, coventry
british sea power - the venue, derby
the temperance movement - academy, leicester
public service broadcasting - rescue rooms, nottingham
black sabbath - motorpoint arena, sheffield
Shows? nowhere near enough of 'em!

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

h26 wrote:very tough to pick only 10 this year as i went to a lot of great smaller gigs, but here's the final choice:
Despite going to a lot of the same gigs, it's interesting that we picked different gigs apart from one. Sabbath nearly made my list, as did Frightened Rabbit.

valderie

Post by valderie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

in no order:
- Fall Out Boy's "secret show" the night after it was announced they were reuniting and putting out a new album and everything. Studio at Webster Hall - very tiny, only old songs. beautiful.
- Jim Lockey & The Solemn Sun's only USA headline gig in harrisburg, pa. 7 hour train ride = worth it.
- Andrew McMahon at the Paramount (long island)
- Frank Turner at David Letterman... er. not really a gig, he performed one song. but it was really fucking cool
- Larry and His Flask at the knitting factory
- Moon Hooch & They Might Be Giants in prospect park, brooklyn
- VALFEST! with Aubrey Dye, Thomas Muddle, The Retrospective Soundtrack Players, She Makes War, Ben Marwood & Oxygen Thief - tiny pub in Bristol (UK) and so much fucking fun
- Frank etc and Koo Koo Kanga Roo in Boston
- Front Bottoms holiday show at Bowery Ballroom
- Patent Pending's annual holiday show at Ollies Point (long island)

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:57 am

No particular order:
1. Paul McCartney-Bonnaroo (80,000 people on a hillside singing Hey Jude was mind blowing.)

2. Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls- The Big Ticket Jacksonville

3. Twenty-One Pilots- Orlando

4. Rancid- Orlando

5. Dropkick Murphy's-Orlando

6. Revival Tour- Jacksonville

7. FEST- Gainesville: Lucero, Fighting Fiction, the Swellers, Mark McCabe, PJ Bond, Drag the River, Tim Barry, Fake Problems, Off With Their Heads, The Dopamines, Arliss Nancy, Smith Street Band.
shows? 90 so far...

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:03 pm

My top gigs and festival sets are in here - http://addistock.wordpress.com/2013/12/ ... from-2013/
Really tough one for everything this year, not that I'm complaining at all!
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:18 pm

darlenet. wrote:
I'm sad that the UK never got a Revival Tour this year. I hope it returns next year.

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:14 pm

The Replacement@Riot fest, Chicago
Rock n roll at its finest and the day I thought I never see.
1326, 1327, 1385, 1527, 1536

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:36 pm

Blonde wrote:
darlenet. wrote:
I'm sad that the UK never got a Revival Tour this year. I hope it returns next year.
You know, I would call this my biggest surprise of the year! I really wasn't that thrilled about driving 2 hours through rain to a show that I thought would be "too country". It was amazing. Such a great format. Chuck Ragan is the sweetest gentleman ever. I hope they tour in Europe, UK and US this year, Ha!
shows? 90 so far...

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Went to about 25 gigs in 2013 - none were spectacular except for The Wave Pictures at the Louisiana in Bristol, and Gabby Young & Other Animals at a house show in Cheltenham. Very entertaining.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

richardp08

Post by richardp08 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Status Quo, Wolverhampton Civic Hall, March
Dave Hause, Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth, May
Seth Lakeman, Worthing Connaught, May
The Killers, Gaslight Anthem, James, Wembley Stadium, June
Iron Maiden, O2, August
Passenger, Concorde2, Brighton, October
The Answer, Concorde2, Brighton, October
Dave Hause, Green Door Store, Brighton, November
The Darkness, Concorde2, Brighton, December
The Waterboys, De la Warr Pavilion, Bexhill, December

Biggest disappointment was no UK Revival Tour shows, something I hope comes back this year.
1300 (Brighton), 1529 (Portsmouth), 1777 (Southampton)

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:32 pm

1, Springsteen at the millenium stadium.
2, frank turner modern body art Birmingham
3, beans in toast clwb ifor Bach
4, frank turner hatfield forum
5, marwood, full moon club
"Age is no object if you're in love.

Oh shit what have I just said?"

frank turner, Birmingham, 18th November 2015