UK Arena Tour

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

SB

Re: UK Arena Tour

Post by SB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Do we know if these will be all ages or is there any where I can find out? Thinking of doing a family weekend in Edinburgh as a mini holiday with the FT gig on the Saturday night as a highlight.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:38 pm

SB wrote:Do we know if these will be all ages or is there any where I can find out? Thinking of doing a family weekend in Edinburgh as a mini holiday with the FT gig on the Saturday night as a highlight.
This is the venue's website. The info is at the bottom.

http://www.edinburghcornexchange.com/events

Obviously I have no idea if the FT gigs will be any different - I imagine it will be down to the venue's license.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 pm

14+ only. 14s to 16s must be accompanied by an adult. No refunds will be given for incorrectly booked tickets.
(from the see tickets link)

hermoine

Post by hermoine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 pm

According to the Live Shows section of this website all the arena shows are All Ages? But I suppose the venue has the final say.

SB

Post by SB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

I just saw 'all ages' on the live shows page of Frank's website. I really hope so. I'll look at the venue's sites too. Not sure any of the answers are going to be consistent :-/

SB

Post by SB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Hmmm jetsetwilly that us what the Edinburgh venue website says, even though Frank's says all ages. The O2 is all ages so may have to take them to London instead. Just looked and it's half term week so that is feasible (assumed it was a school night but it's not... Wa hoo!).

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Hope so, I want to take my nephew and niece, hubby also talking about a mini break! Well that's impressive, he took me to Hatfield Forum strictly as carer......looks like ft has yet another new fan!

1900sr

Post by 1900sr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 am

I'd like to start this post by saying I'm not slagging Frank off, we all know how hard he works (too hard sometimes) and how genuine he is. However, it seems to me that when an act becomes big enough to play arenas they don't tend to end up playing to more people. For example Frank sold out Wembley Arena partly because of the amazing loyalty of his fans who made it happen, and partly because it was the only date announced at that time, so people travelled further. On this new tour there are 7 arena dates announced. Taking Nottingham as an example the capacity is about 10000 for this gig some 3 to 4 times the capacity of venues he played last year. Anyone who went to Nottingham, Sheffield, Lincoln, and maybe Leamington Spa and Wolverhampton would come to Nottingham this time, so rather than playing 21 mainland dates you can play to the same number of people in just 7, reducing your costs and workload.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be at Nottingham, as long as it doesn't sell out before I can afford the tickets.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 am

1900sr wrote:I'd like to start this post by saying I'm not slagging Frank off, we all know how hard he works (too hard sometimes) and how genuine he is. However, it seems to me that when an act becomes big enough to play arenas they don't tend to end up playing to more people. For example Frank sold out Wembley Arena partly because of the amazing loyalty of his fans who made it happen, and partly because it was the only date announced at that time, so people travelled further. On this new tour there are 7 arena dates announced. Taking Nottingham as an example the capacity is about 10000 for this gig some 3 to 4 times the capacity of venues he played last year. Anyone who went to Nottingham, Sheffield, Lincoln, and maybe Leamington Spa and Wolverhampton would come to Nottingham this time, so rather than playing 21 mainland dates you can play to the same number of people in just 7, reducing your costs and workload.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be at Nottingham, as long as it doesn't sell out before I can afford the tickets.
This is sort of true (actually this tour we are playing to potentially 60,000 people or so. The November UK tour was 35,000 ish, all in. It's also about the amount of time it takes. There are only so many days in the year a lot more of the world to play in these days, and with my back and the rest I'm also trying to take it a little easier right now..
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

moomin

Post by moomin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:02 am

I am not sure I totally understand

is this based purely on footfall or on the same people going?

60,000 compared to 35,000 seems like more footfall to me

if the same fans going, then there are fans who will not go because it is an arena to the opposite breed who tend to only go to arena shows, so there will be a different fanbase going, plus going on what was said in the setlist thread about over half the fans spoken to were on their first FT gig, that implies again that new fans are coming through.

On a plus side if this does free up time does this mean potential new albums or Mongols or other exciting things from a guy who can't sit still?
Personally I am looking forward to the cooking show which surely has to be coming after Sunday Brunch - the name is clearly sorted, Frank Turner presents Eggy Hands

1900sr

Post by 1900sr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

frank wrote: This is sort of true (actually this tour we are playing to potentially 60,000 people or so. The November UK tour was 35,000 ish, all in. It's also about the amount of time it takes. There are only so many days in the year a lot more of the world to play in these days, and with my back and the rest I'm also trying to take it a little easier right now..
Looks like my maths was a little out then, in this case you will be able to play to nearly twice as many people, so it works out beneficial to both yourselves and the fans. Fair play to you for keeping ticket prices low, I know what we paid to see Green Day at the LG Arena a couple of years back (mind you, paid as much into the J Lydon pension fund to see Sex Pistols at Birmingham Academy, now that wasn't value for money).

Just don't graduate onto Stadium shows or festivals only please, they really are the pits.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:54 am

I know that Frank has kind of said this himself before, but it's all swings and roundabouts. Who knows where he'll be playing in 5/10 years time?

Bands like Idlewild and Ash have gone from playing to thousands to a couple of hundred at my local venue within the space of 8 years. Yet bands like Muse and Biffy Clyro have done the opposite and just risen and risen.

I see Frank a little like Billy Bragg or The Pogues - with a very consistent, loyal fanbase that will always be there. The casual fan will come and go. I read in Billy Bragg's excellent biography by Andrew Collins that essentially he sells the same amount of records every time he releases a new album.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:56 am

moomin wrote:I am not sure I totally understand

if the same fans going, then there are fans who will not go because it is an arena to the opposite breed who tend to only go to arena shows, so there will be a different fanbase going, plus going on what was said in the setlist thread about over half the fans spoken to were on their first FT gig, that implies again that new fans are coming through.

On a plus side if this does free up time does this mean potential new albums or Mongols or other exciting things from a guy who can't sit still?
Personally I am looking forward to the cooking show which surely has to be coming after Sunday Brunch - the name is clearly sorted, Frank Turner presents Eggy Hands
That's just the number of tickets on sale. It's virtually impossible for me to do any maths calculating with people who come to more than one show. And I have better things to do with my free time.

I'm actually recording vocals for MH starting tomorrow. My week off!
Shows? All of em.

moomin

Post by moomin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:10 pm

frank wrote:
moomin wrote:I am not sure I totally understand

That's just the number of tickets on sale. It's virtually impossible for me to do any maths calculating with people who come to more than one show. And I have better things to do with my free time.

I'm actually recording vocals for MH starting tomorrow. My week off!
ah sorry it wasn't my intention to imply you were properly keeping tabs, more that there was still hard evidence of first timers.
It is however something I find interesting as a fan, I enjoy the idea of a good balance between first timers and the beaten in oldies. There is a different excitement to see a show for the first time and makes a show from that view point entertaining in different ways that sometimes an old timer will forget.
I like sharing so as far as I am concerned the more the merrier, thus new fans, to an act I like, is a fun awesome thing. Also there is the whole social and psychological side to the dynamics of a fanbase which I get a little excited over. I need to get out more.

YES! I am excited about this, Mongol is fun.
But no cooking show? Disappointing :P

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Haha, I feel like I've done enough cooking show for a lifetime already...
Shows? All of em.