Hatfield Show

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Venomous_Bear

Hatfield Show

Post by Venomous_Bear » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 am

I know there's another thread about this, but...

I didn't take any pictures. I didn't do anything but insert myself into the pit of like-minded awesomefolk and let the music do its thing. And even though I got punched and my hairband got chipped and a very drunk man kept hugging me and telling me that Canada was the colony he was most proud of (hahahaha, if you're on here, cheers man), I just had the best time. Got to meet some really nice people (hi guys!), and the MUSIC:

Anyone who was concerned that a milder, less jump-around version of the show would be inadequate was quickly proven wrong. Frank, you've never sounded so good. The Souls just...you guys blow my mind, and Ben seemed to be having an even better time than usual. Cahir killed on guitar. I know you want to get back to the usual show ASAP, but R and L are in for an absolute treat.

The last thing I will say: "Broken Piano". <--- [insert A6 and Nigel's killer drums] (no other words required)

Thank you, it was sooooo worth the journey. Hope everyone is feeling as well as possible and such.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

smige2

Re: Hatfield Show

Post by smige2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Sounds like an awesome gig. Gutted I was away for the first time Frank came to my county in five years! Does anyone have the setlist?
22.08.08, 29.10.08, 19.01.09, 07.03.09, 30.08.09, 29.10.09, 24.03.10, 19.06.10, 19.07.10, 10.12.10, 21.04.11, 27.05.11, 27.11.11, 13.04.12, 25.04.13, 12.09.14, 26.03.15, 29.03.15, 31.07.15, 13.05.17, 14.05.17, 29.07.17, 12.05.18, 03.02.19, 14.07.19

h26

Post by h26 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:44 pm

smige2 wrote:Sounds like an awesome gig. Gutted I was away for the first time Frank came to my county in five years! Does anyone have the setlist?
show 1441

four simple
stray
try this
losing days
glory
queen
way I tend to be
wessex
damage
plain sailing
disappeared
peggy
one foot
recovery
the road
broken piano

rock & roll romance
believe
photosynthesis
Shows? nowhere near enough of 'em!

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41 pm

h26 wrote:
smige2 wrote:Sounds like an awesome gig. Gutted I was away for the first time Frank came to my county in five years! Does anyone have the setlist?
show 1441

four simple
stray
try this
losing days
glory
queen
way I tend to be
wessex
damage
plain sailing
disappeared
peggy
one foot
recovery
the road
broken piano

rock & roll romance
believe
photosynthesis
Thanks for this I was trying to remember what was played.
I recall singing virtually ever word, it took me ages to drink my beer, that was a first!

DecanoLP

Post by DecanoLP » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Looks like a shortened set, only 18 songs. No Prufrock or Reasons Not To Be An Idiot for example :( I wonder if this will change for the European tour.

moomin

Post by moomin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

DecanoLP wrote:Looks like a shortened set, only 18 songs. No Prufrock or Reasons Not To Be An Idiot for example :( I wonder if this will change for the European tour.
Frank is playing shows when he should be laid up resting, he has also bought in someone to play guitar for him on pretty much all the songs. Cahir and then the next person (Cahir is in his own band who will be playing shows next month) will only know a certain amount of songs from his back catalogue. Obviously not all songs will be able to be played due to this new set up, but it has meant he can play shows instead of cancelling. I can understand the disappointment at not hearing favourite songs but on balance Frank playing at all and not pulling his tours, when he has every right to do so, is a whole lot of win in my eyes. It is also fantastic when an artist shakes up the set list a bit.
Certainly didn't feel like a short set either as was pretty high energy, and watching him do a bit of dad dancing while he learns what to do with this hands now he doesn't have the guitar to hold was amusing.

I loved the show last night, a couple of songs I have probably overheard live now but that is all my own fault and worth the pain.
Broken Piano is not a song I have really fallen for but live it is something amazing, a whole rumbling beast of drums. I have missed I Am Disappeared and fucking loved it last night. Long Live The Queen I found myself missing SB from our little group so felt a little bittersweet. Rock N Roll Romance was nice to hear again as a one off request.

Couldn't really hear Sam Russo which was a shame as I have been really enjoying his album. Felix Hagan and The Family recorded I did not like but live they were so much fun, if Frank wants them to support again I am really up for that idea.

Afterwards was equally fun with catnapping, engagements and seeing friends to their coaches.

Cahir did so well given the circumstances, looked very nervous but he really shouldn't be, he allowed the show to go on and that is an important thing.

SB

Post by SB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:01 am

I am so gutted that I missed this; was obviously looking forward to Frank but was also very eager to see Sam Russo.

And CJ - you just made me cry. Thank you, lovely. You guys have pulled me through some shit and are doing so again. You lovely people. Xx

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 am

moomin wrote:
DecanoLP wrote:Looks like a shortened set, only 18 songs. No Prufrock or Reasons Not To Be An Idiot for example :( I wonder if this will change for the European tour.
Frank is playing shows when he should be laid up resting, he has also bought in someone to play guitar for him on pretty much all the songs. Cahir and then the next person (Cahir is in his own band who will be playing shows next month) will only know a certain amount of songs from his back catalogue. Obviously not all songs will be able to be played due to this new set up, but it has meant he can play shows instead of cancelling. I can understand the disappointment at not hearing favourite songs but on balance Frank playing at all and not pulling his tours, when he has every right to do so, is a whole lot of win in my eyes. It is also fantastic when an artist shakes up the set list a bit.
Certainly didn't feel like a short set either as was pretty high energy, and watching him do a bit of dad dancing while he learns what to do with this hands now he doesn't have the guitar to hold was amusing.

I loved the show last night, a couple of songs I have probably overheard live now but that is all my own fault and worth the pain.
Broken Piano is not a song I have really fallen for but live it is something amazing, a whole rumbling beast of drums. I have missed I Am Disappeared and fucking loved it last night. Long Live The Queen I found myself missing SB from our little group so felt a little bittersweet. Rock N Roll Romance was nice to hear again as a one off request.

Couldn't really hear Sam Russo which was a shame as I have been really enjoying his album. Felix Hagan and The Family recorded I did not like but live they were so much fun, if Frank wants them to support again I am really up for that idea.

Afterwards was equally fun with catnapping, engagements and seeing friends to their coaches.

Cahir did so well given the circumstances, looked very nervous but he really shouldn't be, he allowed the show to go on and that is an important thing.
Well said.
Ah yes the Dad dancing, and the dodgy mic juggling, my other half was peeing himself when he dropped it at the start of the set, so I gave him a carebear stare. Needless to say he was completely won over by the end of the set.
I was sat next to a guy who seemed not to be having much fun, but on the way out in the lift he asked me if I had enjoyed it...he was smiling from ear to ear and said how totally brilliant it was, so yet another new fan was found.
Poor Sam Russo, I thought it was just me that couldn't hear him properly, thought it was a balcony thing. Actually I could hear him more clearly from the disabled toilet and considered staying there until he had finished!
I was honoured to meet Helen, thanks for coming to say hi, I am quite shy and was really nervous so that was really cool.
I wish I could have met all of you, and in particular SB, bloody sorry to hear you are having to put up with more shit.

moomin

Post by moomin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:13 pm

SB wrote:I am so gutted that I missed this; was obviously looking forward to Frank but was also very eager to see Sam Russo.

And CJ - you just made me cry. Thank you, lovely. You guys have pulled me through some shit and are doing so again. You lovely people. Xx
wasn't quite my intention :P
these lines were the trigger
I am dying for a drink and for a cigarette"
So we hatched a plan to book ourselves a cheap hotel
In the centre of the City and to raise some Hell
They waste to all the clubs and then when everyone else is long asleep
We know we're good and done

1900sr

Post by 1900sr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 pm

sarahg wrote: Poor Sam Russo, I thought it was just me that couldn't hear him properly, thought it was a balcony thing. Actually I could hear him more clearly from the disabled toilet and considered staying there until he had finished!
I was really annoyed that during Sam's set all I could hear was people talking. I think it's so disrespectful to someone. If you don't like what he's doing fair enough (I can't say I'm a fan) but at least shut up for 20 minutes, or if you want to talk to your mates go outside the hall. As the late great Joe Strummer once said ".. there's always the toilets"

moomin

Post by moomin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:13 pm

1900sr wrote:
sarahg wrote: Poor Sam Russo, I thought it was just me that couldn't hear him properly, thought it was a balcony thing. Actually I could hear him more clearly from the disabled toilet and considered staying there until he had finished!
I was really annoyed that during Sam's set all I could hear was people talking. I think it's so disrespectful to someone. If you don't like what he's doing fair enough (I can't say I'm a fan) but at least shut up for 20 minutes, or if you want to talk to your mates go outside the hall. As the late great Joe Strummer once said ".. there's always the toilets"
at the same time though, if you can't physically hear the act what else are you going to do but start talking.
But yes that is a huge bug bear of mine, go to the bar or something so annoying

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:35 pm

Too true, the chat was rude, poor Sam.

moomin

Post by moomin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 pm

awesome shot of Cahir