US Tour 2013

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

valderie

Re: US Tour 2013

Post by valderie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:31 pm

he sold out bowery in like 5 minutes this is insane!

Jodyism

Post by Jodyism » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Patience isn't one of my better qualities so this whole Hotel Cafe having the tickets not anywhere to be found is driving me a bit mad. To quote someone on the Hotel Cafe FB page "Unless Frank is now Noah Gundersen or Wake Owl, something's terribly wrong at the moment.".
Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.
----------
11.10.11 - 12.10 .11 - 2.18.12 - 9.20.12
Next:
Sooner than later

TheBigJT

Post by TheBigJT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 pm

So, it looks like no one is seeing any link on the Hotel Cafe page? The Roxy is a dicey date for me, but I wanted to grab a ticket for the Hotel Cafe for sure. (Never been there even though I live here. I've heard it's small.)

I was at the Roxy in December to see Graham Parker and the Rumour (I hadn't been there in years). They removed all the seats they used to have, so be prepared for just a big concrete floor, it's kind of a dive really...just a lot of history in the walls for me of bands from the past I saw there...Peter Tosh, The Tubes, Al Stewart, Kiki Dee (w/Elton John's band), Ohio Players, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes...at one time it was about the hottest joint up in Hollywood.

TheBigJT

Post by TheBigJT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Well, that's a load of crap.
It appeared on the Hotel Cafe site and is sold out already.

Something fishy about this.
Not there at 10am, but appears and is sold out at 11am?

Not very happy.

Jodyism

Post by Jodyism » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:11 pm

TheBigJT wrote:Well, that's a load of crap.
It appeared on the Hotel Cafe site and is sold out already.

Something fishy about this.
Not there at 10am, but appears and is sold out at 11am?

Not very happy.
I am beyond upset for this website, I really hope it's an error... I was on the page entering my credit card number and once I hit submit... sold out.
----------
Next:
Sooner than later

TheBigJT

Post by TheBigJT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

I just wrote to the e-mail on the website. They don't have a phone number listed to call.

I know it's a small place, but to not put them on sale at the listed time, then have them sold out an hour later really smells funny....or they are just not able to use the internet to sell tickets very well. Pretty frustrated.

TheBigJT

Post by TheBigJT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Here's what the venue says:

hey jon

tickets went onsale at 11am. and sold out at 1103am.

we only had a limited number of tickets to put onsale per management. but may have another round in the future. sorry all i know at this point. wish i could help more

thanks
marko

I wrote back at said we were told 10am and the link was live then, just no listing on their site or information that 11am was the on sale. Did anyone get tickets?

TheBigJT

Post by TheBigJT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 pm

And the Roxy is sold out.

So, not even an option if I were to shift my schedule around.
wow....this kinda sucks.

Jodyism

Post by Jodyism » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm

I didn't get tickets and I was on there hitting refresh since 10:20... I called my ticket broker and he hasn't seen anything come up on their secret broker sites, he only sees the Roxy tix (also sold out) up for 2x the cost. This sucks. They say tickets may be available at the door but its a 4 hour drive to probably just get denied again.
----------
Next:
Sooner than later

TheBigJT

Post by TheBigJT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, I did get another nice note back from Marko at the Hotel Cafe.

hey jon

i am sorry about this. the plan was always 11am. and tickets went up exactly at 11am. not sure why his site said 10am.

i will let you know about next round of tickets if there is another.

thanks

marko

So, it seems like Frank is just blowing up here a little and small venues/few tickets mean it's going to be tougher to grab a seat.
Jody, if he does come through and let me know about more seats going on sale, I'll try to get you and your mom one as well. I was going to go up alone anyway, so I'll do what I can if I get the chance to get them for you as well.

ToTheWest

LA shows

Post by ToTheWest » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 am

Dear ticket scalpers, this song dedication goes out to you: It's called "HEARTLESS BASTARD MOTHERFUCKER"...but in your case, it should be plural. 95 tickets for the Roxy show on http://www.stubhub.com starting at $41.50. Fuck you.

Like you all, I tried my damnedest to get tickets this morning. Last night I emailed Hotel Cafe to see what time tickets went on sale because the show wasn't listed on their site until they were "sold out" this morning, but didn't get a reply, so I checked their site again at 9:45 when I had a quick break. For the Roxy, I reloaded the page and re-entered my payment info at least fifteen times starting at exactly 10:30 am--and trust me, trying to monitor my students' reading aloud at the same time was no easy feat!--but got shut out of those before I even had a chance to check the Hotel Cafe site again. I even texted a friend asking her to buy for me, but no luck. Before I knew it, both were "sold out"... I was SO disappointed.

As for the Hotel Cafe, I used quotation marks above because I agree with JT that the Hotel Cafe "on sale" may have been a sham in the first place. I'm strongly of the opinion that the vast majority (or maybe even all, if they're not being honest with us) of tickets were reserved by the label as an album release showcase of sorts. I emailed a few HC addresses last night since they're routinely hard to get ahold of. I got a reply from Marko after what he called "the first round" of tickets were gone, apologizing that he typed a reply to me but didn't send it in time. He said there will "likely be more", but of course who knows when and how many. I wonder if he means more released, or just some at the door.

Later, one of my friends cheered me up letting me know [don't hate me, please!] that she actually got two tickets to the Roxy (sigh of relief), so at least I get to go to that for sure. I don't blame people for not wanting to drive to Hollywood without a guarantee of getting in, so I feel fortunate to live nearby. As much as I hate scalpers, I'd be willing to pay $40 for a ticket (I know; I'm contributing to the problem), but there are none listed for the Hotel Cafe show. (This reinforces my belief that there were hardly any on sale in the first place.) So I'm planning to rush home from work the day of the Hotel Cafe show and go up there to see if I can get in. Not willing to do anything illegal or unethical, but other than that, I was voted "Most Persistent" in my eighth grade class, so we'll see.... ;-)
Brevity is not my forte.

valderie

Post by valderie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:37 am

speaking of scalpers there are nyc tickets going for $70 each on craigslist currently. i feel very fortunate to have wrangled one ticket for that but feel awful as a fair few of my friends missed out :?

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:06 am

I know what you mean! I had sort of established a tradition of taking a first-timer with me each time Frank was playing in town, and they always ended up converts. Definitely glad I get to go to at least one show, but kind of sad I don't get to introduce any more newbies this time, since none of them got tickets.
Brevity is not my forte.

TheBigJT

Post by TheBigJT » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Wow, ToTheWest....I'm surprised you were shut out too.
I know that you've been seeing them around here since before I even visited this board the first time.
I'm really floored and disappointed that pretty much everyone here was shut out of these two shows.
Heck, I even got into the SlideBar in Fullerton last year with three people...and that place is tiny.

I'm pretty persistent myself. And, I'm also hopeful something will work out somehow. If I find any opportunity to grab anything, I will buy whatever is the max and let Jody and you both know.

I too have been taking new people whenever I could. Slide Bar were a couple of friends, my wife went to SLO with me and a work friend to HOB. Funny thing is, I was doing a show in Las Vegas most of last week and during some downtime had introduced one of my techs to Frank via YouTube. That same day the tix were announced and she was actually planning to drive over and see him. I'm sure she was shut out too...I mean who really expected this sort of demand? (Except a few scalpers apparently...)

I think it's a mixed blessing in some small way. The fact that the tickets are being scalped and sold so damn fast means that there are more people interested. All if the hard work and touring those guys have been doing is showing a result. So, it sucks for me, for all of us who got shut out....but, it's really what I think we'd all like to see for Frank and the band. The reason we hauled those new people along was to let them share something cool they wouldn't hear on the crap radio stations in LA. So, while I'm disappointed...

I guess that I'd rather be a bit disappointed now...and then hopefully watch the next show at the Fonda, or the Greek...or hell, the Forum for that matter...because that would signify that more people are paying attention and listening to something better than a lot of the crap that books into those venues. So, it sucks for us...but, this is hopefully good news for Frank longer term.

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks, JT; that's very kind of you. I don't know if anyone but you is going to care, but I felt the need for another reply.

I just wanted it on record that I don't begrudge Frank's success for a minute and am not one of those selfish twats [going British for a moment] who start disliking certain bands once they get popular. He hasn't done anything but be an amazing artist, and so deserves all the success he's had, and will continue to have. I still think it's cool that he's playing smaller venues here than he could, but yes, I've admittedly gotten used to being able to easily see him play whenever he was in town for the last three years. I've known that it would be harder to get tickets this year ever since I saw him and the Souls open for Social Distortion at a packed Fox Theatre a year ago--no doubt he's been making even more new fans everywhere he's been since then. So it may sound pretty damn presumptuous of me to have thought I would definitely get tickets, but I had been expecting them to play a bigger venue this time around and only had a few days to process the idea of the Roxy and Hotel Cafe. (Plus, I also have a ticket hook-up who has helped me in the past after certain shows sold out, so he was Plan B. But turns out it's no longer as easy as it used to be for him to get me in.) Anyhow, maybe I needed a little humbling. I am happy, like you said, that more people are being exposed to quality music and top-notch live shows, and that Frank and the band are seeing more financial reward for their hard work. I just want to be at the Hotel Cafe, too... :-/

Bottom line: I've already been fortunate enough to see Frank perform a lot more times than have most Yanks. I think the Fonda and the Greek would be GREAT places for him to play, and I look forward to singing my heart out with that many more people at future shows. Even though the fan interaction dynamic will probably change in the years to come (at least as far as everyone being able to talk to them after the shows), there will be nobody to blame for that and I'll always be grateful to have seen him so many times in small venues. Not as something to use as wanker-ish bragging rights, but just to carry with me as awesome memories. :-)
Brevity is not my forte.