US Tour 2013

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Venomous_Bear

Re: US Tour 2013

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:09 pm

tiffiny wrote:As I said the night of their performance, I wish my life were a Koo Koo Kangaroo Show.
Why isn't it??? All it takes is breaking out into song and dancing without abandon. Add in some unicorns, cats, rainbows and minivans, and you're good to fucking go, I'd say. *super high five*

A! BC! DEFG! HIJK...LMNOP!
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

tampateri

Post by tampateri » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 pm

JerseyGirl wrote:Terri- ever been to this festival? I was very excited to hear this, too, practically in my backyard!
Sorry about the ridiculous delay in answering this. I went to it years ago when it was at a different venue and it was pretty fun. I've become old and crotchety, however, and try to avoid things like this. LOL.

Also, I don't know of any other decent hotels in Orlando. :(

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:41 pm

sewer samuel wrote:
frank wrote:
slowmyke wrote:For those who've already seen shows on this leg of the tour, did you show up for koo koo kangaroo? How are they? Are they seriously the dinosaur stomp band that's on YouTube? I try not to shit on bands just because they're not my thing, but they just seem like a joke YouTube band. It's really odd to pair that with Frank for a tour. Especially with Frank saying not every show is a money making endeavor in the US yet.

Any thoughts/opinions? Is it entertaining?
They do have a song about dinosaurs. I genuinely believe them to be one of the best live bands I've ever seen. They make every show feel fucking awesome straight away. A few people seem to think I'm being "ironic" in some way by having them on tour, but I'm not.
i was skeptical when they started playing, but then by the end of the set i was dancing and having a great time. their song "cat party" is ridiculously catchy.
i still dont quite have their ambition behind the group figured out, i guess the indie childrens educational rap scene is pretty untapped as of right now.

definitely worth checking out. just leave your inhibitions at the door.
one of the things I love about Koo Koo is that they aren't in any way taking the piss. Bryan works for YMCA, they both do loads of children's stuff. They're funny, of course, but they are also totally genuine in what they're doing.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

queequeg99

Post by queequeg99 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:24 am

slowmyke wrote:For those who've already seen shows on this leg of the tour, did you show up for koo koo kangaroo? How are they? Are they seriously the dinosaur stomp band that's on YouTube? I try not to shit on bands just because they're not my thing, but they just seem like a joke YouTube band. It's really odd to pair that with Frank for a tour. Especially with Frank saying not every show is a money making endeavor in the US yet.

Any thoughts/opinions? Is it entertaining?
Like a few other posters on this thread, I was a bit skeptical. Yes, the Cat Party video is awesome in its own weird way (my first exposure after learning that they would be opening for Frank). But how about the whole show? It was great. I saw them in Portland, OR. Great great scene. We took our 7 and 9 year old daughters (who loved them) but to be honest, I think I would have had more fun if I could have thrown myself around the floor without worrying about the kiddos.

Basically, it comes down to this: if an act can get me to dance around the floor with reckless abandon shouting out "unicorns are real" without any sense of irony, they're pretty awesome in my book.

And Bryan and Neil are genuinely cool guys. Hit 'em up after the show and get some of the best post-show pics you'll ever get from any act (and the "Unicorns R Real" autographed book has to be the best concert memorabilia I have ever acquired).

Wonderful pick by Frank. I'm very grateful.

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Based on what is being said here, I am really looking forward to seeing Koo Koo Kangaroo!!!

Jack Rabbits in J'ville is my first show of this leg and I can't wait! Off to youtube...!

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:44 am

fadedskyjeff wrote:Koo Koo Kanga Roo is the best band you could ever hope to have opening your tour! They are fun, energetic, and they get the crowd excited to be there. If a person can let go of being so serious about life for just a few minutes, and give them an actual listen, and GET INVOLVED with their show...You will not regret it, and it will be the thing you talk about afterward, more-so than Frank and the boys. (Frank, you know I love you...Just stressing a point)
I'm super late to this thread (but still on a high from the three shows I went to two weeks ago!), but Jeff's right. I'm actually glad I didn't have a chance to look Koo Koo up ahead of time, and grateful that Jeff & co. (who had been to two shows prior to meeting up with me) were pretty tight-lipped about what to expect. I did express that I thought their name was stupid before I saw them, but Jeff and his friends just said, "Trust us--it fits. Just wait and see."

One set later, I was a believer! I won't say much else, but definitely check them out before making up your mind. Leave your cynicism at the door and DANCE! :-)

PS: Smith Street Band are great, too. I'm so grateful to have been exposed to them as well through this tour.
Brevity is not my forte.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:05 am

Ok. I'm in Chicago. Just saw Koo Koo Kanga Roo. And now I get it. This is part of Franks physical therapy. You aren't going to benefit from it though, Frank, by sitting up in the balcony drinking and letting Nigel do it.

fadedskyjeff

Post by fadedskyjeff » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:07 am

ToTheWest wrote:
fadedskyjeff wrote:Koo Koo Kanga Roo is the best band you could ever hope to have opening your tour! They are fun, energetic, and they get the crowd excited to be there. If a person can let go of being so serious about life for just a few minutes, and give them an actual listen, and GET INVOLVED with their show...You will not regret it, and it will be the thing you talk about afterward, more-so than Frank and the boys. (Frank, you know I love you...Just stressing a point)
I'm super late to this thread (but still on a high from the three shows I went to two weeks ago!), but Jeff's right. I'm actually glad I didn't have a chance to look Koo Koo up ahead of time, and grateful that Jeff & co. (who had been to two shows prior to meeting up with me) were pretty tight-lipped about what to expect. I did express that I thought their name was stupid before I saw them, but Jeff and his friends just said, "Trust us--it fits. Just wait and see."

One set later, I was a believer! I won't say much else, but definitely check them out before making up your mind. Leave your cynicism at the door and DANCE! :-)

PS: Smith Street Band are great, too. I'm so grateful to have been exposed to them as well through this tour.
It's so true! Speaking of which...I have been getting some GOOD stuff from everyone for the DVD!
...Me and all my friends are poets of the deed...

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Actually, on the same note, if anyone got the intro and unplugged version of "Journey of the Magi" from Saskatoon, could you please let me know? 'Twas glorious, and Flag got a shoutout. Thanks!!
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

emmeth42

Post by emmeth42 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:23 am

Would anyone who is seeing Frank in the near future be willing to hook a girl up? I'm now regretting not buying a t-shirt I had my eye on (got another one instead) as well as the lithograph. I'll gladly PayPal money for the merch (plus extra for shipping/beer money/whatevs). I had a Chicago hook-up who suddenly backed out, so I missed out there. Anyone at all?
924, 925, 1470

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:18 pm

emmeth42 wrote:Would anyone who is seeing Frank in the near future be willing to hook a girl up? I'm now regretting not buying a t-shirt I had my eye on (got another one instead) as well as the lithograph. I'll gladly PayPal money for the merch (plus extra for shipping/beer money/whatevs). I had a Chicago hook-up who suddenly backed out, so I missed out there. Anyone at all?
Absolutely. The next I'm going to is in Detroit, so this is pending stuff is left by the 22nd! Hit me up at k(dot)a(dot)holman(at)gmail(dot)com!

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:51 pm

emmeth42 wrote:Would anyone who is seeing Frank in the near future be willing to hook a girl up? I'm now regretting not buying a t-shirt I had my eye on (got another one instead) as well as the lithograph. I'll gladly PayPal money for the merch (plus extra for shipping/beer money/whatevs). I had a Chicago hook-up who suddenly backed out, so I missed out there. Anyone at all?
I'm seeing them on Wednesday and Saturday so let us know which t shirt and I will see if I can snag it then for ya!

emmeth42

Post by emmeth42 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm

JerseyGirl wrote:
I'm seeing them on Wednesday and Saturday so let us know which t shirt and I will see if I can snag it then for ya!
I've already e-mailed VB, but whoever gets to it first wins I suppose!
There was a black slim-fit shirt with an anchor on it I really liked. There was another slim-fit shirt but I can't remember the design on it. Send me a message and we can trade PayPal info.
924, 925, 1470

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:30 pm

emmeth42 wrote:
JerseyGirl wrote:
I've already e-mailed VB, but whoever gets to it first wins I suppose!
There was a black slim-fit shirt with an anchor on it I really liked. There was another slim-fit shirt but I can't remember the design on it. Send me a message and we can trade PayPal info.
Cool, I'll wait on standby in case something happens...that goes for anyone else, too!

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 pm

WhoHooo in 24 hours I will be in Jacksonville( 4-5 hours from here) with my 20 year old daughter prepping for the show!

She has not committed to the show yet- just room service and the Russel Stover discount store up near Ocala, so cross fingers she decides to grace me with her presence tomorrow night. She knows the music just by osmossis so if she can only get over that it's "Mom's music" I knnow she will love it!

She loves live theater- so here's hoping!