Non-Frank Gigs

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Blonde

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Post by Blonde » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:32 am

I'm off to Y-Not Festival today with h26 and others. Tonight we're having a cocktail and BBQ party.

moomin

Post by moomin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:12 am

Blonde wrote:I'm off to Y-Not Festival today with h26 and others. Tonight we're having a cocktail and BBQ party.
am actually a little envious
will get over it though whilst walking Lizard

Apparently I am seeing Franz Ferdinand later in the month, better do some homework listening.

jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:36 am

Blonde wrote:I'm off to Y-Not Festival today with h26 and others. Tonight we're having a cocktail and BBQ party.
Jealous, tonight's headliner are brilliant.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 am

jetsetwilly wrote:
I thought they only had one song?

jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:57 am

Blonde wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:
I thought they only had one song?
They are only well known for that song but the album it came from is one of my all time favourites. They were put down as a novelty band because of the nature of jcb but they are so much more.

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Midlake in two weeks, The Strypes in Sept.
:D

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Had a fab time at Y Not Festival. Saw lots of bands thanks to them having one stage setting up whilst the other stage has music. It was quite odd having to be evacuated from the arena in the middle of Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip's set due to a thunderstorm. It just made everyone more determined to have a good time once we were allowed to continue.

Stealing Sheep were great especially as they were backed by the Harlequin Dynamite Marching Band. Max Raptor, House of Thieves, Eva Plays Dead and The Cribs, once they got over the newer stuff, were also highlights. I felt like Ash should have headlined on Saturday night, they came on and did a greatest hits set, which really got the crowd going.

Public Service Broadcasting were good too. I was surprised by how much I liked them. The way they use a public service broadcasting voice (see what they did there?) as vocals and to chat with the crowd is very clever. They are a band where they have to be watched rather than just listened to.

The Darkness were surprisingly entertaining and enjoyable. Definitely the best band to close the festival. I think most people in our group would say that Wet Nuns were the band of the weekend. Everyone should check them out.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Just saw Panic! At The Disco. Not really my kind of music, but tickets had sold out in 4 minutes, so I thought I'd give it a try. Their setlist was pretty short, and has been exactly the same each show. Very little banter/interaction. Felt like they were going through the motions (but with lots of energy). Lead singer pulled off his shirt (apparently predictably) in the same song each show. Lined up meet and greet only. Bah, not overly impressed. Must note, the diehards thought it was "awesome".
shows? 90 so far...

valderie

Post by valderie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:47 pm

darlenet. wrote:Just saw Panic! At The Disco. Not really my kind of music, but tickets had sold out in 4 minutes, so I thought I'd give it a try. Their setlist was pretty short, and has been exactly the same each show. Very little banter/interaction. Felt like they were going through the motions (but with lots of energy). Lead singer pulled off his shirt (apparently predictably) in the same song each show. Lined up meet and greet only. Bah, not overly impressed. Must note, the diehards thought it was "awesome".
that band is going through some shit now and its their first gigs back in years. im seeing them next month opening for fall out boy and i'm really excited, havent seen them since maybe 09 or 10?

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:05 pm

valderie wrote:that band is going through some shit now and its their first gigs back in years. im seeing them next month opening for fall out boy and i'm really excited, havent seen them since maybe 09 or 10?
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Long time fans loved it. Some were in line since 3 am. Just not my deal. Thought Brenden was a bit arrogant. "Pretty. Odd" is my favorite album and they only played one song from it. New drummer filled in well.
shows? 90 so far...

valderie

Post by valderie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:46 am

darlenet. wrote:
valderie wrote:that band is going through some shit now and its their first gigs back in years. im seeing them next month opening for fall out boy and i'm really excited, havent seen them since maybe 09 or 10?
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Long time fans loved it. Some were in line since 3 am. Just not my deal. Thought Brenden was a bit arrogant. "Pretty. Odd" is my favorite album and they only played one song from it. New drummer filled in well.
their first album was what got me into them and i love that one the most. the singer has always seemed that way but i have friends who were fairly close to Panic (for fans anyway) and can attest that they were/are all awesome people. i just wanna feel like im 15 again haha

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:26 am

valderie wrote: i just wanna feel like im 15 again haha
For sure, don't we all? I heard John Oates recently and instantly remembered dancing to Sara Smile at my Prom. (please don't do the math). Amazing how music can instantly bring back memories.
shows? 90 so far...

DaveK

Post by DaveK » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Saw The Killers last night..... what a great night. Highlights for me were Somebody Told Me, Human, All These Things... and When You Were Young. Couldn't help thinking about Frank when they sang Mr. Brightside... :)

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 pm

MIDLAKE tonight, woo-hoo :mrgreen:

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm

DaveK wrote:Saw The Killers last night..... what a great night. Highlights for me were Somebody Told Me, Human, All These Things... and When You Were Young. Couldn't help thinking about Frank when they sang Mr. Brightside... :)
Not a fan really, but the singles I know are certainly catchy, that song Bones is very very good.