Page 281 of 319

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 pm
by valderie
Rubber_Soul wrote:
Blonde wrote:Muse were amazing last night. A great setlist and show. Probably my favourite gig this year.
Rubber_Soul wrote: one of my students was telling me to listen to Imagine Dragons this afternoon after I played the class Larry and his Flask.
With that name, I expect them to sound something along the lines of Lost Prophets, The Blackout etc.
They don't really sound like LP, but they don't really sound like LahF either. Can't say I was very taken with them, but I'm going to assume they will be all over the radio this summer.



On an unrelated note I went to see the Emerald Armada last night but due to a late starting gig and no real sound engineer I missed their whole set. Very annoyed. Off to see Silent Sleep tonight though so that should make up for it a little.
Imagine Dragons are very popular in the states, if only for their song "Radioactive" that is in EVERY COMMERCIAL EVER right now

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:28 pm
by Watergirl
Superlatives alert....
I saw Bruce Springsteen in Naples on Thursday. A perfect show. Amazing setting in the Piazza del Plebescito, a big square with beautiful buildings and statues of lions and horses looking on...
It was my 50th Springsteen concert and seeing him in Italy is something special. Bruce loves Italy and they love him. The crowd was sooooo enthusiastic. He did two acoustic songs on his own three hours before the actual show. I was at the bar for that (terrible timing....) but watched it from afar. Was upfront for the gig though. The setlist was excellent. Highlights for me were 'Long walk home', 'Death to my hometown', 'Rosalita', 'Prove it all night' (1978 intro version), 'Pay me my money down' and 'Radio Nowhere'. It simply doesn't get any better than this.
The only downside for me was that he didn't play more from 'Wrecking ball'. There were 5 songs from that album, but I would have liked more. I reckon he underestimates his audience a bit, perhaps thinking they don't want to hear too many new songs (hint...). He played 29 shows in total though so who am I to complain..
He finished as he started, on his own, with an acoustic 'Thunder Road'.
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyPeWDR55M

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 pm
by Blonde
Off to see Boat To Row, Hot Feet (I think) and Charlotte Carpenter at the Monarch on Wednesday for Moomin's birthday (it's a free gig so come along, but not too early to give me time to get there after work)

And then the same again the next night in Nottingham.

To complete my doubles gig week, I'm going to see Marwood in Leicester and Birmingham

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:43 pm
by SB
Obviously being dragged (albeit willingly) to Boat to Row with Blonde, Moomin etc. Very much looking forward to it!

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:13 pm
by Iwillnotgrowup
Watergirl wrote:Superlatives alert....
I saw Bruce Springsteen in Naples on Thursday. A perfect show. Amazing setting in the Piazza del Plebescito, a big square with beautiful buildings and statues of lions and horses looking on...
It was my 50th Springsteen concert and seeing him in Italy is something special. Bruce loves Italy and they love him. The crowd was sooooo enthusiastic. He did two acoustic songs on his own three hours before the actual show. I was at the bar for that (terrible timing....) but watched it from afar. Was upfront for the gig though. The setlist was excellent. Highlights for me were 'Long walk home', 'Death to my hometown', 'Rosalita', 'Prove it all night' (1978 intro version) and 'Radio Nowhere'. It simply doesn't get any better than this.
The only downside for me was that he didn't play more from 'Wrecking ball'. There were 5 songs from that album, but I would have liked more. I reckon he underestimates his audience a bit, perhaps thinking they don't want to hear too many new songs (hint...). He played 29 shows in total though so who am I to complain..
He finished as he started, on his own, with an acoustic 'Thunder Road'.
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyPeWDR55M

I saw the set-list for that gig and some footage.... looked pretty special.

50th Springsteen concert?? That's pretty amazing. I'm hoping to see him a 3rd time at Wembley if I can manage to find a reasonably priced ticket!!

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:17 pm
by Watergirl
First time was in 1985 so it's not as extravagant as it sounds. Compared to some of the diehards I know I am quite a moderate fan!
Hope you'll get a ticket. Enjoy Wembley if you do.

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 pm
by xandmatt
SB wrote:Obviously being dragged (albeit willingly) to Boat to Row with Blonde, Moomin etc. Very much looking forward to it!
If I had the time off I would be going to London and Nottingham.

BUT there's still the massive hometown Boat to Row show tomorrow that I'm really looking forward to...

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:21 pm
by Iwillnotgrowup
Watergirl wrote:First time was in 1985 so it's not as extravagant as it sounds. Compared to some of the diehards I know I am quite a moderate fan!
Hope you'll get a ticket. Enjoy Wembley if you do.
Funnily enough after replying to your message I logged on to Twitter and somebody had 2 tickets available on "Twickets" for Wembley. £100 quid the pair. Snapped them up straight away.

I hope he does Thunder Road and Jungleland. Enough to make a grown man cry......

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 pm
by moomin
Blonde wrote:Off to see Boat To Row, Hot Feet (I think) and Charlotte Carpenter at the Monarch on Wednesday for Moomin's birthday (it's a free gig so come along, but not too early to give me time to get there after work)

And then the same again the next night in Nottingham.

To complete my doubles gig week, I'm going to see Marwood in Leicester and Birmingham
lil jealous about the Marwood giggage although The Monarch show was pretty amazing, really sweet crowd
I have no idea who any of the artists are that I am seeing tonight but I am sure it will be a good night, like last night also at The Monarch, (I appear to have set up a second home temporarily in there) with Skaters, Best Friends and Life. Life are The Neat reincarnated which I learnt yesterday, I liked The Neat so this was a good find and they are more catchy this time around. Best Friends lost my interest sadly with technical difficulties but I enjoyed Skaters.

Then I have JEW and Modest Mouse.
Although FT keeps tweeting about tours from artists I am desperate to see again like Tim Barry so no doubt will be going along to some of those

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:07 pm
by xandmatt
moomin wrote: I have no idea who any of the artists are that I am seeing tonight but I am sure it will be a good night
It will. Its an awesome line up and wish I was going.

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am
by mrdh
Larry and his Flask - Monday in Zurich. My son said they are worth seeing.

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 pm
by helentx
mrdh wrote:Larry and his Flask - Monday in Zurich. My son said they are worth seeing.
A whole heap of us who've seen them supporting Frank on the recent UK/Europe tour would agree with your son!

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:26 am
by mrdh
helentx wrote:
mrdh wrote:Larry and his Flask - Monday in Zurich. My son said they are worth seeing.
A whole heap of us who've seen them supporting Frank on the recent UK/Europe tour would agree with your son!
Unfortunately they didn't support Frank when he plated Luzern a few weeks ago - I guess I missed out.

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:08 am
by Watergirl
I saw Karan Casey & John Doyle at the Seamus Ennis Centre in the Naul, North county Dublin. One of my favourite venues and a lovely gig. Karan Casey has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard (kind of a mix between Mary Black and Kate Rusby, if that means anything to the readers of this board) and John Doyle is an amazing guitar player. He is a great songwriter too, which I wasn't aware of.

Re: Non-Frank Gigs

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 pm
by moomin
xandmatt wrote:
moomin wrote: I have no idea who any of the artists are that I am seeing tonight but I am sure it will be a good night
It will. Its an awesome line up and wish I was going.
it was a lovely night, and the bands were very good