Non-Frank Gigs

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Tony
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:45 pm

Post by Tony » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:13 am

Lexapalooza wrote:Holy crap! Rival Schools is sold out already!
Damn I forgot about this, had a day off today and totally forgot about it this morning. :(

Pete
Posts: 6621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 am

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:33 am

If I remember correctly it's a pretty weeny venue

User avatar
Lexapalooza
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Lexapalooza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 am

I have not been there myself. But I will be going to Rival Schools!!! WOOOOOO!!!

Pete
Posts: 6621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 am

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:40 am

So, Evan... How did you manage to get a ticket when they sold out so quickly...?!

User avatar
Lexapalooza
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Lexapalooza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 am

Oh you know...I have my methods.

Matt09H
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Post by Matt09H » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Tony wrote:
Lexapalooza wrote:Holy crap! Rival Schools is sold out already!
Damn I forgot about this, had a day off today and totally forgot about it this morning. :(
I got a ticket off the livenation presale yesterday...wasn't happy about them charging me £37 for 2 tickets that have a face value of £12 each...they charge a booking fee and add on a £5.25 so-called secure delivery method...which is the only "method" they offer so you have no choice...

User avatar
Lexapalooza
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Lexapalooza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Matt09H wrote:
Tony wrote:
Lexapalooza wrote:Holy crap! Rival Schools is sold out already!
Damn I forgot about this, had a day off today and totally forgot about it this morning. :(
I got a ticket off the livenation presale yesterday...wasn't happy about them charging me £37 for 2 tickets that have a face value of £12 each...they charge a booking fee and add on a £5.25 so-called secure delivery method...which is the only "method" they offer so you have no choice...
OUCH! That seems terribly extreme. I despise Livenation. They are ruining live music little by little with their ridiculous pricing and venue monopoly.

Matt09H
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Post by Matt09H » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Lexapalooza wrote:
Matt09H wrote:
Tony wrote: Damn I forgot about this, had a day off today and totally forgot about it this morning. :(
I got a ticket off the livenation presale yesterday...wasn't happy about them charging me £37 for 2 tickets that have a face value of £12 each...they charge a booking fee and add on a £5.25 so-called secure delivery method...which is the only "method" they offer so you have no choice...
OUCH! That seems terribly extreme. I despise Livenation. They are ruining live music little by little with their ridiculous pricing and venue monopoly.
They shouldn't be allowed to do this. Didn't they buy out one of the big ticket vendors last year? I'm sure I read something about them having done that and monopolising the market..

User avatar
Lexapalooza
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Lexapalooza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Matt09H wrote:
They shouldn't be allowed to do this. Didn't they buy out one of the big ticket vendors last year? I'm sure I read something about them having done that and monopolising the market..
I think so. I think they merged with Ticketmaster or something. I read an article recently where they justified their prices by saying that it is the market value, indicating that because touts charge so much, then they can too. This is also why they have no problem charging hundreds of pounds for "premium" seating. Its all bullshit.

Gigs used to be affordable, but now you're looking at £20 on average for a ticket plus booking fee. It's ludicrous

Matt09H
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Post by Matt09H » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Lexapalooza wrote:
I think so. I think they merged with Ticketmaster or something. I read an article recently where they justified their prices by saying that it is the market value, indicating that because touts charge so much, then they can too. This is also why they have no problem charging hundreds of pounds for "premium" seating. Its all bullshit.

Gigs used to be affordable, but now you're looking at £20 on average for a ticket plus booking fee. It's ludicrous
Sounds right...the livenation site diverted to ticketmaster...if it sold out that quickly most people probably got fleeced by them...

I rarely see ticket prices much lower than £20 anymore...was considering going to see the Xcerts supporting Get Cape on Wednesday but £20 when you're only interested in the support band is too steep..

User avatar
Lexapalooza
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Lexapalooza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Wankers.

I did try and venture into affordable and ethical promotion earlier in the year, but found that (certainly in London) it's almost impossible. I have put it on hold for now, as obviously with the baby and everything my priorities changed. But it is something I intend to pursue at a later date. Probably not in London though. With the lack of independent venues we now suffer here, the price to put a show on is fucking astronomical

Matt09H
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Post by Matt09H » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Lexapalooza wrote:Wankers.

I did try and venture into affordable and ethical promotion earlier in the year, but found that (certainly in London) it's almost impossible. I have put it on hold for now, as obviously with the baby and everything my priorities changed. But it is something I intend to pursue at a later date. Probably not in London though. With the lack of independent venues we now suffer here, the price to put a show on is fucking astronomical
Indeed...at least there is still the Flowerpot (and a few other places) and Lexapalooza...I can imagine it's pretty difficult to set up a venue like that with all the other places bumping up prices and most people still forking out the cash (like I just did for the Rival Schools tickets)...sounds like a brilliant idea by the way.

User avatar
Lexapalooza
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Lexapalooza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Matt09H wrote:
Lexapalooza wrote:Wankers.

I did try and venture into affordable and ethical promotion earlier in the year, but found that (certainly in London) it's almost impossible. I have put it on hold for now, as obviously with the baby and everything my priorities changed. But it is something I intend to pursue at a later date. Probably not in London though. With the lack of independent venues we now suffer here, the price to put a show on is fucking astronomical
Indeed...at least there is still the Flowerpot (and a few other places) and Lexapalooza...I can imagine it's pretty difficult to set up a venue like that with all the other places bumping up prices and most people still forking out the cash (like I just did for the Rival Schools tickets)...sounds like a brilliant idea by the way.
In theory, its a great idea, but when you combine the cost of hiring a venue, with how much you need to pay the bands, insurance, advertsing etc etc it ends up being very costly with very little margin for error unless you charge extortionate prices for tickets. I just don't have the bank balance to take the risk, even when my own profit is tiny.

So the plan is that when we leave London, I may try and do it wherever we end up. The overheads should be smaller.

User avatar
newmy
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: London

Post by newmy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Perhaps it's time bands starting going down the Fugazi-esque route of insisting on $5 entry. Maybe nowadays that's a bit low, and I know they didn't always get their way, but I think there's alot to be said for the sentiment.

User avatar
Lexapalooza
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Lexapalooza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:37 pm

newmy wrote:Perhaps it's time bands starting going down the Fugazi-esque route of insisting on $5 entry. Maybe nowadays that's a bit low, and I know they didn't always get their way, but I think there's alot to be said for the sentiment.
This is precisely what I was trying to achieve. Bands taking slightly less guarantee money, but still getting paid a very fair wage, having 100% of their merch takings, and in the meantime giving value to the punters. The idea was to use independent venues, and keep all expenses to a bare minimum, so that no one lost out ans would still go home with enough money to justify playing the show.

It is possible to do, but quite often agents, managers and what not aren't too keen on their take being smaller, and they are always your first point of call when trying to book someone. You need people to be into the whole concept, which is the hardest part.

Fugazi did everything themselves, so were never paying percentages to others. That was how they made it work. A serious lesson to us all.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest