Non-Frank Gigs

Talk about upcoming shows, discuss shows that have happened, this isn't rocket science you know

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

selfishbi_atch101

Post by selfishbi_atch101 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Have decided to go to BarHouse in Chelmsford tomorrow eve for -Crooked Mountain, Crooked Sea- (thanks for that, thepriceofreality)

Not sure that 'Time is a Thief' is to my taste but since they list Biffy as an influence...
The Biffy experience has completely passed me by, perhaps for the best?

Not been out in Chelmsford town before, I hope it's crazy-arse-female friendly :shock:

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Evan wrote:
Matt09H wrote:
Evan wrote:[
Think I am just a teeny bit too old to "get it".
That's the feeling I'm getting listening to it on Spotify today....acoustic last night it sounded quite different and they had some good songs...
Yup. They are neither pop enough, nor rock enough to interest me. It's all just quite bland to my ears. No balls. Nothing new or exciting. And I wish they'd put their fucking shirts on.
Feel like I should defend the Biff considering I owe pretty much my entire taste in music to my discovery of them.

Their latest stuff is exactly as you describe it, a disgusting pop/rock hybrid with no balls that inspires no emotion in me whatsoever. A couple of fantastic tunes on the latest album (TGR despite the unneccesary strings, Bubbles for the outro alone) but far too many shit ballads and stuff that just sounds too "pop".

BUT old Biffy is fucking immense and it makes me so upset that I missed their best years. Unfortunately, I was too young to give a shit when they first started out. I wish they still had the balls to come out and open sets with this motherfucker but unfortunately their testicles must have been handed over as a down payment when they signed to 14th Floor because their setlists since then have been predictable and boring with the odd exception such as ending on Now The Action Is On Fire, one of the best songs ever, during their big 2008 tour.

Blackened Sky, The Vertigo Of Bliss and Infinity Land would all easily make my top 10 albums if not even all in top 5. I don't know what else to say, the fall of Biffy Clyro is in my opinion probably the biggest loss to the underground scene of recent years and I just wish I'd gone to see them before 2007. Go listen to the likes of Stress On The Sky, There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake and Now The Action Is In Fire and realise Biffy did once have balls, they've just dropped off since :(

/self pity.

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:27 am

Jethro wrote:Go listen to the likes of Stress On The Sky, There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake and Now The Action Is In Fire and realise Biffy did once have balls, they've just dropped off since :(

/self pity.
Evan being 'schooled' in music by a 17 year old?

Brilliant.
Stu

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 am

teamescape wrote:
Jethro wrote:Go listen to the likes of Stress On The Sky, There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake and Now The Action Is In Fire and realise Biffy did once have balls, they've just dropped off since :(

/self pity.

Brilliant.
#4-07.04.05 #11-28.10.05 #28-13.12.05 #34-19.01.06 #70-02.04.06 #93-30.04.06 #144-13.07.06 #169-09.10.06 #227-06.02.07 #285-08.05.07 #421-10.04.08 #526-26.10.08 #528-28.10.08 #725 26.10.09 #726 26.10.09 #816 19.03.10 #1028 24.05.11 #1303-01.12.12

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 am

Kenny wrote:
teamescape wrote:

/self pity.

Brilliant.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:53 am

In fairness, I'd agree with the sentiment (that Biffy, or more precisely first 2 album Biffy, were a very good band). But I do think they are one of those bands that are very much 'of a time'. I loved them whilst I was at Uni and saw them a load of times, but very quickly went off them afterwards. Puzzle was such a fucking abomination of an album there was no way back. Once respect is gone it shalt never return. Except for Machine Head.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:13 am

Evan wrote:
Kenny wrote:
teamescape wrote: Evan being 'schooled' in music by a 17 year old?

Brilliant.

kickoutthejams

Post by kickoutthejams » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 am

im going to watch klaxons tonight, anyone seen em live? thoughts?

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 am

I didn't know they still existed.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:22 am

kickoutthejams wrote:im going to watch klaxons tonight, anyone seen em live? thoughts?
I've seen them a few times. They are great live and they get everyone dancing. I find it amusing how they now try and ban glowsticks from their gigs, especially because the first time I saw them, we were given glowsticks when they checked our tickets.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:24 am

The imperative was a bit unneccessary but couldn't think how else to put it and Evan's comment suggested he hadn't listened to Biffy at their best, which we just can't be having now can we?

I largely agreed with him tbf :P

Pete, you don't like Infinity Land? My favourite Biffy album, Blackened Sky is the weakest of the first 3 imo. Bits of it remind me too much of their latest material which makes me a little sick.

Funnily enough the last gig I went to was a Biffy gig... it was disappointing. 5 good songs (Convex, Jaggy, Bodies, Justboy, Glitter & Trauma) but the other 16 songs were all from the latest two albums.

Also, me being 17 was so last week. I'm an "adult" now.

kickoutthejams

Post by kickoutthejams » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:25 am

Blonde wrote:
kickoutthejams wrote:im going to watch klaxons tonight, anyone seen em live? thoughts?
I've seen them a few times. They are great live and they get everyone dancing. I find it amusing how they now try and ban glowsticks from their gigs, especially because the first time I saw them, we were given glowsticks when they checked our tickets.
are they trying to get away from that 'nu rave' tag haha? i like their album been into it for year's so it should be good to finally see them .
Pete wrote:I didn't know they still existed.
aye they just brought out a new song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF55bRCVqJE
im watching them at white rabbit, plymouth, surprised me they are playing there as they were quite popular.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 am

Nah, Infinitely Land was the beginning of the decline for me. As soon as I heard (and saw the video for) Glitter and Trauma I was done.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 am

kickoutthejams wrote: aye they just brought out a new song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF55bRCVqJE
Not for me.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 am

Jethro wrote:The imperative was a bit unneccessary but couldn't think how else to put it and Evan's comment suggested he hadn't listened to Biffy at their best, which we just can't be having now can we?

I largely agreed with him tbf :P

Pete, you don't like Infinity Land? My favourite Biffy album, Blackened Sky is the weakest of the first 3 imo. Bits of it remind me too much of their latest material which makes me a little sick.

Funnily enough the last gig I went to was a Biffy gig... it was disappointing. 5 good songs (Convex, Jaggy, Bodies, Justboy, Glitter & Trauma) but the other 16 songs were all from the latest two albums.

Also, me being 17 was so last week. I'm an "adult" now.

I feel you missed the point. What you consider to be their best, I still think is shit. Maybe if I was 17, then they might make sense to me. But as it is, they just sound boring, predictable and sans testicles.

Some bands appeal does not stretch across age gaps. This is one of those bands in my opinion.

You are not an adult until you are 21.

Pete wrote:
kickoutthejams wrote: aye they just brought out a new song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF55bRCVqJE
Not for me.
Horrendous, isn't it?