Safe Gigs for Women

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Tracey1981

Safe Gigs for Women

Post by Tracey1981 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi. I hope this is on the right topic board.

My name is Tracey and I am the founder of an organisation called "Safe Gigs for Women" I am a huge music fan, and after being groped at a gig in June, I decided it was time to speak up. I have had a blog featured on the Huff Post and I have recently been interviewed on BBC Radio. I have had a lot of responses from other music fans saying they had experienced similar behaviour at gigs. As a response to that, I set up a Twitter account https://twitter.com/safegigs4women as a way of others telling their experiences to show that this is a problem, and it won't be tolerated anymore.

I am now at a stage where this project is looking at expanding, working a local authority in London, and hopefully a charity, to look at how we can focus this further. I am asking two things: Firstly, that people tell me their stories. If you're a woman, and you've experienced harassment, but don't wish to make your name/details public, I promise to keep your story anonymous. I ask that men share stories too... I honestly believe men are key to this campaign. So, if you have an example, please share too. Secondly, that if yous support this, stand up. Come and join us. Men, you are especially welcome. If you agree this behaviour is wrong, calling out those that don't is just one step towards making gigs safe for all.

I can be found on Twitter - https://twitter.com/safegigs4women, www.sgfw.org.uk or email keepgigssafeforwomen@gmail.com

Thanks.

ShriekingViolet

Re: Safe Gigs for Women

Post by ShriekingViolet » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:34 am

I feel very fortunate that I have nothing I can share with you, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to harassment at gigs. I know of an incident at an Amanda Palmer gig in Glasgow (I think?) where a young lady was deliberately urinated on by a man, it should come up with a cursory google.

This is excellent and vital work that you do, best wishes with your continued efforts :)

Tracey1981

Post by Tracey1981 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:03 pm

ShriekingViolet wrote:I feel very fortunate that I have nothing I can share with you, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to harassment at gigs. I know of an incident at an Amanda Palmer gig in Glasgow (I think?) where a young lady was deliberately urinated on by a man, it should come up with a cursory google.

This is excellent and vital work that you do, best wishes with your continued efforts :)
Thank you. PLease feel free to share our links and join us.

Tracey1981

Post by Tracey1981 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Ooops, haven't been here in ages but felt I should update with this, especially as Frank was lovely enough to do this. I met Frank before one of his Nottingham shows in November to talk about Safe Gigs for Women and why this matters. Here's my write up from that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tracey- ... 55786.html

But on top of that, I received this story this week from someone talking about how being raped at a concert has affected her life. Please read, please share and lets kick this shit out of the music we love!

https://twise1981.wordpress.com/

Tracey1981

Post by Tracey1981 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:19 pm

Evening all! I have been contacted by a journalist keen to speak to any women who have experienced harassment at gigs or festivals. She can be contacted on natalie.gil@refinery29.uk for more details. She is ensuring anonymity for anyone who can hep her. Please consider sharing your story - the more awareness we can bring to gig/festival harassment, the more of a case we build to work against it.

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:59 pm

That's completely wrong, but I do think it's exceptionally rare.

For all the years I've been going to concerts nobody in my company has suffered anything like that. At the Frank gig in Glasgow in November 2015 a cup of Urine did splash my girlfriend. I do love Glasgow for a gig, and they have many great people, but they also have too many idiots. Why people think that's funny is beyond me, it's disgusting in the extreme.

As for groping, that's just wrong. Drunk people do stupid things. Drunk people in dark rooms and big crowds no doubt feel if they can get away with it.

I'd also imagine that sometimes it could be accidental. In my younger years I've found myself having to grab on when it's got a bit too lively at the front.