Frank's Book

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

cooperlexie12

Frank's Book

Post by cooperlexie12 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Now that we've all had a chance to read Frank's book, how'd you guys enjoy it? I'm curious about your takes on it. I really liked the read-through and the down to earth, laid back nature of it. There were points where I wish Frank would've went a little deeper into certain parts of his life, his experiences, and his relationships, but I can understand why that didn't happen in certain circumstances.

Perhaps the funniest part to me was his recollection of getting a little too wasted at a bar in Russia, falling asleep on a pile of coats, and then proceeding to fight the people the wanted to retrieve their coats. Sometimes the simple stories really do make for the best ones!

I also just enjoyed getting to know more about Frank from his own perspective. You often learn of artists only from other people's depictions and the overall perspective of the media and communities, so hearing his experiences in his own words was cool!

What'd you guys think?

suitcaselife

Re: Frank's Book

Post by suitcaselife » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm not finished right now, as my life is packed with so many things right now... but the most interesting and saddest part for me so far, was reading how Nambucca burned down :?
95 gigs in 21 countries...
moving, keep moving - the tour never stops.

Twitter/Instagram: @MySuitcaseLife

Säm

Post by Säm » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:39 pm

I enjoyed reading it so much that I could hardly put it down. I missed the early days so it was very interesting for me to find out how it all started and read about the hardships and the triumphs. There are so many great stories in it that it's hard to choose a favourite. Some tragic yet funny ones that stood out to me where the taxi driver who didn't know where the hell the festival was and put them out in the middle of nowhere and the accident in Lithuania. All those early trips around Europe took a lot of guts and it was nice to get such a personal insight into his tour life. I agree with you, cooperlexie12, some parts left me wondering for more. But most of them were none of our business so I get why he left them out. I'll definitely read it again soon and will probably get the audio book as well. I 'd love a second volume someday.

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:47 am

Haven't posted here in ages, but my summer holidays are almost over, so I'd better get my fix while I can--same with finishing the book, which I finally started recently!

I agree with everything said above--I'm loving it! Favorite bits so far: the images of the skinny, half-clothed Russian kid telling off the train inspector, the car accident in Lithuania, Frank and Barbs walking up and down hills looking for the festival in Derbyshire, and Ryan Young bursting onto the tour bus demanding to know where Frank was even though he had never met him before.

Even though some people might have wanted more of a tell-all book, I think Frank did a good job of gracefully side-stepping those issues he doesn't want to go into too much detail on. (And I don't blame him for that. Just because he's a public figure doesn't mean we have the right to know everything.)
Brevity is not my forte.