Distraction Pieces Podcast

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

SusanneD

Distraction Pieces Podcast

Post by SusanneD » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:38 am

Has anyone else listened to the Scroobious Pip podcast with Frank yet? I did last night and I really enjoyed it. It's been fun to hear those two reminisce over various bands they had seen a decade ago and realizing that they had both probably been at the same gigs at the same time.

I also wholeheartedly agreed with them in regards to people chatting to each other during a gig instead of paying attention to what's going on up front on the stage. It's one of my pet peeves. If you want to catch up with your friend, why not do it at the bar or at the back of the venue. Not amidst a group of people who want to watch a show and dance and sing along?

When they started talking about the pre-music-on-the-internet days and how much more difficult it was to find and buy new music, I felt really old again, because I remember those days vividly. Recording songs from the radio to tape, while doing my homework. Ordering records from a mail order catalogue....

Frank also shortly talked about the transition from Million Dead to going solo and that made me once more really look forward to the book release in three weeks.

Anyway, if you find the time (it's over an hour long, but very much worth it), you should definitely check out that podcast. You can find it here or via iTunes

http://www.scroobiuspip.co.uk/distracti ... s-podcast/
"And the only things that holds me back are the things I hold inside..."
34 gigs. 15 cities. 6 countries.
Twitter/Instagram: @dennasus

Shwee

Re: Distraction Pieces Podcast

Post by Shwee » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:59 pm

I listened to it the other day at work and enjoyed it as well.

tuppercole

Post by tuppercole » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:31 pm

THe chatting thing drives me crazy. I went to Gaslight Anthem last week, and made way done to the floor for Northcote who I'd been looking forward to seeing. As they get going, the girls behind me started shouting to each other to be heard over the music. After a few songs I asked politely that they stop shouting, which was met with rolled eyes.

eleanordc

Post by eleanordc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:06 pm

There are always those people who make their way to the front when they only know a handful of songs that they can sing along and/or dance to. The same people run their mouths for the rest of the set. Like SusanneD said if you just can't help yourself, go to a corner in the back of the room or the bar and enjoy your conversation there. As much as it annoys me, I can't imagining how frustrating and disrespectful it must feel to a performer. Of course that's assuming it's even noticeable to the band. Maybe it just annoys some of us on the floor?

SusanneD

Post by SusanneD » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 pm

eleanordc wrote:Of course that's assuming it's even noticeable to the band. Maybe it just annoys some of us on the floor?
I think in smaller venues it most probably could be noticed from the stage, if it's happening at the front of the room. I'm not sure how much the performers notice from the middle of the room, except the general response (singing, moving, jumping etc.) Either way, chatting through a gig is really disrespectful to the guys on stage and the other people around you, who want to see/hear the gig. IMHO...
"And the only things that holds me back are the things I hold inside..."
34 gigs. 15 cities. 6 countries.
Twitter/Instagram: @dennasus

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:14 am

Agree with Susanne on all points. As an additional note, I had no idea Scroobius Pip is a stutterer, as I'd never heard an interview or podcast with him before. I think it's admirable that he doesn't let that hold him back from recording a regular podcast
Brevity is not my forte.

blastman

Post by blastman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:27 am

Currently listening to this, very enjoyable. I thought at one stage that Pip talks too much and doesn't let the guest speak enough, but that evened out more as the podcast went on. Turns into a great chat between two guys who love what they do and music in general. Apparently we have a lot to thank Evan for (just don't let on to him)!

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:12 am

blastman wrote:Currently listening to this, very enjoyable. I thought at one stage that Pip talks too much and doesn't let the guest speak enough, but that evened out more as the podcast went on. Turns into a great chat between two guys who love what they do and music in general. Apparently we have a lot to thank Evan for (just don't let on to him)!

I am an unsung hero of indie pop.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.