New cd reviews...........

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Bossman66

New cd reviews...........

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi guys

I'm not repeating my 'a new cd a week thread' this year, but I may well try and buy at least one a month, so will post reviews here of any I purchase.

I would like to invite other members to share their views on any new cd's they buy or hear here too though.

Post away if you wish to partake

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

smithyramfan

Re: New cd reviews...........

Post by smithyramfan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:21 pm

The CD a week thread was one of my favourite's from last year, glad its continuing in some way.
crap at dancing and can't hold my drink...
Shows: Lincoln 24/11/12, Nottingham 09/02/14, Y Not Festival 03/08/14

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:12 pm

I agree, and I hope folks contribute. The reviews don't have to be as in depth as Bossman's, just an "aye" or "nay" with a little "why" would be appreciated. I tried out a lot of new music from this thread last year.
shows? 58 so far

reitzel6570

Post by reitzel6570 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:50 am

Well, the first new music I listened to this year is Cafetorium Songs Vol. 1., Koo Koo Kanga Roo. I know there were some strong opinions about them when they toured with Frank in the States and the UK. Definitely a love ‘em or hate ‘em band. I’m on the love side. They’re such a fun time live. I saw them in Boston twice last year. Good times were had.

Recorded though…meh. They’re a live band. I listened through on the stream (http://music.kookookangaroo.com/album/c ... ongs-vol-1), but found that I enjoyed all the songs way more when I had the videos to go with them. You can watch them on Go Noodle after you set up an account (https://www.gonoodle.com/play/koo-koo-kanga-roo). Still, Rollercoaster is the only one that I think will carry over well to the live show. That one includes some of their signature banter that makes me laugh too. Weird Sounds is pretty catchy, but it reminds me of driving the car with my son along for the ride (if I had a dollar for every time I tell him to stop making weird sounds while I’m trying to drive…grrr). Chillax is too low key for KKKR. This Or That will probably work well live too, when you can actually see them doing This or…That. I Get Loose is the throwaway. Nothing really special about it. And Skip Counting…meh…it’s just counting.

Actually, the new KKKR song I like the best is Pop See Ko, and it didn’t make the EP. HaHa. Funny, catchy, great live potential.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Yes, terrific idea I want to play!

AlChron77

Post by AlChron77 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Speaking of bands that toured with Frank, the newest record from The Smith Street Band is fucking incredible.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:04 pm

I bought the new 'Fall Out Boy' cd today, so there will be a review here later this week to start us off...........unless someone beats me to it.
Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Sivvy

Post by Sivvy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm going to sneak in, having just bought The Decemberists "What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World" yesterday. Very mellow and a bit Nick Drake-esque in places, and quite similar to their last offering.

Stand-out track for me is the opener, "The Singer Addresses His Audience". It builds from a gentle acoustic number to a soaring anthem in a breathtaking way. And - as I suspect most of us on the FT Forums are big on lyrics - it paints a great picture of the dynamic between performer and crowd. Worth investing in, just for this track alone (and the glorious line, "you cut your hair in the style of our drummer" . . . )

Looking forward to their UK tour next month and to hearing these live.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Sivvy wrote:I'm going to sneak in,
Me too. I am so excited by Franz Nicolay's new album, "To Us, The Beautiful," that I had to share. I first heard some of these live at FEST 3 times! And they were so good. Well, the album is full of good ones. It is by far my favorite of his. His lyrics are sharp and witty as always, but it is the guitar work I love. Very rock and roll. Andrew Seward from Against Me! plays bass, along with two other guest guitarists.

The title song is a little clever punk anthem, but my favorite track is Marfa lights. And remembering the little story he told about the song made me love it even more.

Definitely check it out.
shows? 58 so far

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:44 pm

darlenet. wrote: I am so excited by Franz Nicolay's new album, "To Us, The Beautiful," that I had to share.
I have the record sitting next to me right now, and I am yet to stick it on.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

born2run2

Post by born2run2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:28 pm

new hanni el khatib is out....

placidcasual76

Post by placidcasual76 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Sivvy wrote:I'm going to sneak in, having just bought The Decemberists "What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World" yesterday. Very mellow and a bit Nick Drake-esque in places, and quite similar to their last offering.

Stand-out track for me is the opener, "The Singer Addresses His Audience". It builds from a gentle acoustic number to a soaring anthem in a breathtaking way. And - as I suspect most of us on the FT Forums are big on lyrics - it paints a great picture of the dynamic between performer and crowd. Worth investing in, just for this track alone (and the glorious line, "you cut your hair in the style of our drummer" . . . )

I have listened to this a few times and can't make my mind up on it.

h26

Post by h26 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:23 am

placidcasual76 wrote:
Sivvy wrote:I'm going to sneak in, having just bought The Decemberists "What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World" yesterday. Very mellow and a bit Nick Drake-esque in places, and quite similar to their last offering.

I have listened to this a few times and can't make my mind up on it.
i'd be very surprised if this wasn't in my top ten this year
Shows? nowhere near enough of 'em!

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Ok then, the 1st cd I got this year was 'American Beauty/American Psycho by Fall Out Boy.

I got it because I was surprised how much I enjoyed their last offering 'Save Rock And Roll' a couple of years back.

I think it's been hailed as a bit of a departure from their usual style for them. Not for the first time (Gaslight last year for example) I don't really see that as for me there are several similarities to SR&R & their best of.

Rather than a track by track review I think I'll just say I prefer the first half of the album, then it all becomes a bit repetitive for me.

They combine rock & dance & a bit of punk (I suppose) into big anthemic songs & the first half also includes some well used samples such as Suzanne Vega's 'Tom's Diner' in the single 'Centuries'& a snatch of the theme from Munsters in 'Uma Thurman'. The title track which is quite frantic I suppose isn't getting a lot of love in iTunes reviews but I like the oooooooooooooh build up before the chorus which reminds me of Bruce during Twist & Shout live.

It's not bad & I like it, but for me there were more standout songs on 'Save Rock And Roll' which raised it above this one.

Maybe it'll grow on me.

Feeling I should've gone for The Decemberists having read comments here & on a Bruce forum...............

Here's 'Centuries':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBr7kECsjcQ

Bossman

Bobstains

Post by Bobstains » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:06 pm

A new one for me is Public Service Broadcasting, I have only just discovered these even though they have been making music for sometime.

The first album and only album (a new one is out next week) Inform - Educate - Entertain reminds me of bands like The Avalanches, The Go Team, Amongst the Pigeons. They use guitars, samples (from old movies), bleeps, whistles and loops to bring you something a bit different.

The Guardians review may be more suited.

Here is a Poo tube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4Md_aXVJE

Enjoy!