Tattoos

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

AlChron77

Re: Tattoos

Post by AlChron77 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm

FGA3 wrote:I completely understand why, as the issues surrounding a political song often end up taking focus away from the music itself.
I totally agree in most cases but the one band that's been able to consistently bridge that gap is Propagandhi. If anything their most recent records are so technical and sharp that it distracts from the messages in the lyrics.

waywardson

Post by waywardson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Postby frank » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:58 pm
goldust wrote:
frank wrote:
In all seriousness, this kind of shit is a big part of why I actively tried to distance myself from politics in my music.

I've heard you say this a few times which is why I was quite surprised when I first heard "Something of Freedom" as it is perhaps the most overtly political song you have done since "Sons of Liberty". I guess that is why it was left off TDH? It wouldn't have really fit in with the rest of the album. Good song though. I like hearing this kind of song from you even though my political leanings are pretty different to yours, but I can understand why you don't want to be labelled as that kind of artist.

Actually that song is yet older, Evan (who is on here and who writes the sleeve notes) has been bugging me to release it for ages. I'm still pretty ambivalent about the song to be honest.
I love Something of Freedom, especially the device of the The Times They Are A Changing - esque melody. It was released at a perfect time in relation to my feelings about the venting/protesting and rioting across the U.S. the past couple of months regarding various white cop on black perp shooting. Surely a worthy topic to explore but this being the least effective and most harmful way possible

Hopefully Something of Freedom gets a live airing soon. Was it written in response to anything in particular?

Cheers!

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:43 pm

waywardson wrote:
I love Something of Freedom, especially the device of the The Times They Are A Changing - esque melody. It was released at a perfect time in relation to my feelings about the venting/protesting and rioting across the U.S. the past couple of months regarding various white cop on black perp shooting. Surely a worthy topic to explore but this being the least effective and most harmful way possible

Hopefully Something of Freedom gets a live airing soon. Was it written in response to anything in particular?

Cheers!
I reckon your chances of hearing it live are exactly none. As previously mentioned, I have been pestering him since 2010 to release it, after I heard a demo of it pre-EKMB. He was never keen on doing so, nor is he a big fan of the song it seems.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.