Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Kplusc

Re: Album of the year - 2014

Post by Kplusc » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:08 pm

darlenet. wrote:
Kplusc wrote:
darlenet. wrote: Rancid...............................Honor Is All We Know

That was THE dissapointment of the year for me...
Ha, you are certainly not the only one. Quite honestly I plead guilty to being totally not objective about Rancid. They are the only band I can say I would listen to ANYTHING they did. I'm unabashedly in love with them for a long time. But I am curious as to what disappointed you about it. It certainly sounds more Tim Timebomb-ish. Also, The Interrupters. But, of course I love them too.

I'm a HUGE fan too, and believe me It was really hard for me to admit that I was disappointed with their last album because usually, I like everything they do.
Especially ...And out come the wolves, Rancid 2000 and Indestructible which are three masterpieces of punk rock according to me.

I found Let the dominoes to be a really interesting record, not their strongest effort, but the band took some risks with some songs and directions (less punk that usual) and overall It was a good one.

But when I listen to Honor... I can't help but wondering how have they done something so lame. We have been waiting like 6 years for a record that seems to have been written on the corner of a table between two Tim timebomb's covers, and only 14 songs (30 minutes) you gotta to be kidding me ( especially considering that 80% of them are just b-sides quality).
Except for Back where I belong, Collision Course and In the streets, I don't find any songs to be worth remembering. They are just repeating the choruses til' boredom ( Everybodys suffering, Now we're through with you, A power inside...), the lyrics are uninspired, Evil's my friend is just a wannabe Time bomb, Up to no good or I wanna riot...

For me, Rancid’s members are nowadays just more excited about their side bands or projects rather than the mothership, Rancid.
The mere fact is that they are touring less and less...

I just need to listen to Tim Timebomb stuffs, THESE was awesome.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:39 pm

Kplusc wrote:

I'm a HUGE fan too, and believe me It was really hard for me to admit that I was disappointed with their last album because usually, I like everything they do.
Especially ...And out come the wolves, Rancid 2000 and Indestructible which are three masterpieces of punk rock according to me.

I found Let the dominoes to be a really interesting record, not their strongest effort, but the band took some risks with some songs and directions (less punk that usual) and overall It was a good one.

But when I listen to Honor... I can't help but wondering how have they done something so lame. We have been waiting like 6 years for a record that seems to have been written on the corner of a table between two Tim timebomb's covers, and only 14 songs (30 minutes) you gotta to be kidding me ( especially considering that 80% of them are just b-sides quality).
Except for Back where I belong, Collision Course and In the streets, I don't find any songs to be worth remembering. They are just repeating the choruses til' boredom ( Everybodys suffering, Now we're through with you, A power inside...), the lyrics are uninspired, Evil's my friend is just a wannabe Time bomb, Up to no good or I wanna riot...

For me, Rancid’s members are nowadays just more excited about their side bands or projects rather than the mothership, Rancid.

[/quote]

Thanks for your insight. I agree with your assessment for the most part. (You should write a blog!) I just adore them, anyway. I saw them last year live, and they were awesome! I also saw The Interruptors a few times, and they were a blast. Thanks again.
shows? 90 so far...

SpyKi

Post by SpyKi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:32 am

1. The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is There
2. Copeland - Ixora
3. Gerard Way - Hesitant Alien

My top three.

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:59 pm

2014 was a really good year for albums, here are the ones I rank above others:
Ryan Adams – Ryan Adams
Mark McCabe – Good Day to Bury Bad News
Gaslight Anthem – Get Hurt
The Hold Steady – Teeth Dreams
Bruce Springsteen – High Hopes
Chris Devotion & the Expectations - Breakout
Algernon Doll – Omphalic
Green Day – Demolicious

placidcasual76

Post by placidcasual76 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:10 pm

SpyKi wrote:1. The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is There
2. Copeland - Ixora

My top three.

You might like this. The Hotelier playing the album from beginning to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prp78ypkQzY

tommyk

Post by tommyk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Don't listen to too many albums but my top 3 would be:

Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man
The Front Bottoms - Rose
Dry The River - Alarms In The Heart

Kplusc

Post by Kplusc » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:34 pm

darlenet. wrote:
Kplusc wrote:

Thanks for your insight. I agree with your assessment for the most part. (You should write a blog!) I just adore them, anyway. I saw them last year live, and they were awesome! I also saw The Interruptors a few times, and they were a blast. Thanks again.[/quote]

Dwelling in France, I never got the opportunity to see them. And to be honest I don't think they will come back here anytime soon.

h26

Post by h26 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:16 pm

my top ten were:

royal blood - royal blood
kasabian - 48.13
chuck ragan - till midnight
rival sons - great western Valkyrie
the retrospective soundtrack players - it's a wonderful Christmas carol
goat - commune
blues pills - blues pills
radio moscow - magical dirt
the war on drugs - lost in the dream
hookworms - the hum
Shows? nowhere near enough of 'em!

clare2911

Post by clare2911 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Wow, I've got so much great new music to listen to thanks to this thread. I've not made very much time for new music recently, but definitely will be from now on! You guys have awesome taste! :D

SpyKi

Post by SpyKi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:55 pm

placidcasual76 wrote:
SpyKi wrote:1. The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is There
2. Copeland - Ixora

My top three.

You might like this. The Hotelier playing the album from beginning to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prp78ypkQzY
I remember watching this and thinking it looked like the most fucking fun. I want them to come to the UK and do this. It'd be amazing.