Book

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

fivesecondstare

Re: Book

Post by fivesecondstare » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Finished over the weekend. Loved it. Hoping for a return to Berlin in the fall.

Helium

Post by Helium » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:28 am

Just got to the 1000th show, and just seeing it written out sent shivers down my spine. I've said this before, many times, but I really can't overstate how much that gig changed things for me, at a time I really needed it. I met people there that have gone on to be some of my closest friends, spent the next year or so travelling round the country doing ridiculous stuff and generally having an awesome time. And all because of a decision to buy a ticket to a gig on a whim. Still blows my mind a little.
10: 18/03, 27/08, 04/12, 31/12
11: 17/2, 21/4, 13/5 16/5, 7/7, 26/8 (x2), 24/11, 26/11, 27/11
12: 13/4, 7/7, 12/11, 13/11, 17/11
13: 17/4, 19/4, 11/7, 12/7
14: 7/2, 9/2, 12/2, 28/9
15: 24/3, 27/8, 15/11, 23/11
16: 23/11, 13/12, 15/12
18: 8/5, 13/5

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:29 pm

The book arrived in the mail today!!!

Wish I had sent in a photo or two but my screen name is in the book- Jersey Girl Kit!;)

Rags

Post by Rags » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Helium wrote:Just got to the 1000th show, and just seeing it written out sent shivers down my spine. I've said this before, many times, but I really can't overstate how much that gig changed things for me, at a time I really needed it. I met people there that have gone on to be some of my closest friends, spent the next year or so travelling round the country doing ridiculous stuff and generally having an awesome time. And all because of a decision to buy a ticket to a gig on a whim. Still blows my mind a little.
Was a pretty awesome night.
23.08.08, 04.02.09, 29.10.09, 19.06.10, 12.12.10, 31.12.10, 18.02.11, 21.04.11, 07.07.11, 26.08.11 X2, 24.11.11, 26.11.11, 27.11.11, 13.04.12, 20.08.12, 23.08.13

tampateri

Post by tampateri » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:13 am

I got my book today and am totally over the moon. The first show I ever saw Frank at is in the book, #956 at Jannus Landing. Not only does he mention selling his own merch and shoring up loyalty because of it (which I have mentioned to more than one person over the years) but he also wrote most of one of my favorite songs right here on my home turf. The closing lines of that song almost made it on to my back in the form of a tattoo before I realized that a reference to a "drunken fellow" may not be the wisest choice of permanent expression and opted for a line from Recovery (If you're lost at sea close your eyes and catch the tide my dear and only think of me). There's also a picture of him at the merch stand where I first met him. I totally sound like a creeper. LOL. Anyway, I'm so happy to have this volume that speaks not only to his history but also to mine with music that has become so much a part of my life. Thank you, Frank.

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:49 pm

tampateri wrote:I got my book today and am totally over the moon. The first show I ever saw Frank at is in the book, #956 at Jannus Landing. Not only does he mention selling his own merch and shoring up loyalty because of it (which I have mentioned to more than one person over the years) but he also wrote most of one of my favorite songs right here on my home turf. The closing lines of that song almost made it on to my back in the form of a tattoo before I realized that a reference to a "drunken fellow" may not be the wisest choice of permanent expression and opted for a line from Recovery (If you're lost at sea close your eyes and catch the tide my dear and only think of me). There's also a picture of him at the merch stand where I first met him. I totally sound like a creeper. LOL. Anyway, I'm so happy to have this volume that speaks not only to his history but also to mine with music that has become so much a part of my life. Thank you, Frank.
Very cool! Great story teri!

Any chance you and your sister are hitting the road for an Atlanta show? Driving up from Sarasota for the show at Masquarade on May 9th!

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:55 pm

Watergirl wrote:I would love to get a copy of the fan edition as well. It's not the same as a real book, and I realize that it was a limited edition with everyone's name printed inside.
I have a photo of "my pages", but seeing the bit above and below that already makes me want to read everyone else's stories. An e-version would do fine for that.
You should have a copy- you are in numerous photos!

Sunday add on:

Today I read about Frank's show at the Starlight Ballroom in Sayerville, NJ- a venue not far from where I hail. Saw George Carlin there once. The place is a dump.

I am so,so sorry for the experience Frank and (especially) Evan had there.

Kind of explains something to me- probably would not have picked my screen name if I knew the disdain some here have/had for the state of New Jersey.

Frank, I am so glad you didn't let that one experience keep you from going back to my home state. Evan, since I now live in Florida, home of Disney and beautiful beaches, my offer to host you and your family remains.

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:16 pm

JerseyGirl wrote: Today I read about Frank's show at the Starlight Ballroom in Sayerville, NJ- a venue not far from where I hail. Saw George Carlin there once. The place is a dump.

Kind of explains something to me- probably would not have picked my screen name if I knew the disdain some here have/had for the state of New Jersey.

Frank, I am so glad you didn't let that one experience keep you from going back to my home state. Evan, since I now live in Florida, home of Disney and beautiful beaches, my offer to host you and your family remains.

It ended up being a fun night. We went to a place in Brooklyn that gives you free pizza when you order a beer, and then I slept under a table in some guy's front room (the talent gets the couch, obviously). Frank played in Hoboken a couple of days later and it was one of the best shows I have seen him do, so I personally hold nothing against New Jersey. Was a weird one though.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

reitzel6570

Post by reitzel6570 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:28 pm

Evan wrote:
JerseyGirl wrote: Kind of explains something to me- probably would not have picked my screen name if I knew the disdain some here have/had for the state of New Jersey.

It ended up being a fun night. We went to a place in Brooklyn that gives you free pizza when you order a beer, and then I slept under a table in some guy's front room (the talent gets the couch, obviously). Frank played in Hoboken a couple of days later and it was one of the best shows I have seen him do, so I personally hold nothing against New Jersey. Was a weird one though.
Yikes. I originally hail from northern New Jersey, and I can dis it with the best on them. But where else can you get an Italian hot dog and Taylor ham and egg on a hard roll? And you think NYC has good pizza? Pffh. New Jersey has some of the best.

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Evan wrote:
JerseyGirl wrote: Today I read about Frank's show at the Starlight Ballroom in Sayerville, NJ- a venue not far from where I hail. Saw George Carlin there once. The place is a dump.

Glad to hear that! Thanks for the kind response.

I got to the November 2011 part in the book and was new to Frank's music and had gone to three Florida shows in September so Perry and I flew up to Pennsylvania and saw Bruce Springsteen with Joe Grushey in Pittsburgh on the Thursday then took a double decker bus across PA to see Frank and the Souls finish the tour at the Theater of the Living Arts Friday night from front and center balcony- great show and I brought 2 news fans to that show. Fun tour!

tampateri

Post by tampateri » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 pm

JerseyGirl wrote:
tampateri wrote:I got my book today and am totally over the moon. The first show I ever saw Frank at is in the book, #956 at Jannus Landing. Not only does he mention selling his own merch and shoring up loyalty because of it (which I have mentioned to more than one person over the years) but he also wrote most of one of my favorite songs right here on my home turf. The closing lines of that song almost made it on to my back in the form of a tattoo before I realized that a reference to a "drunken fellow" may not be the wisest choice of permanent expression and opted for a line from Recovery (If you're lost at sea close your eyes and catch the tide my dear and only think of me). There's also a picture of him at the merch stand where I first met him. I totally sound like a creeper. LOL. Anyway, I'm so happy to have this volume that speaks not only to his history but also to mine with music that has become so much a part of my life. Thank you, Frank.
Very cool! Great story teri!

Any chance you and your sister are hitting the road for an Atlanta show? Driving up from Sarasota for the show at Masquarade on May 9th!
Hey Girl! Unfortunately, no. I'm saving all my pennies for a cruise in November. I hope you have a safe trip and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Finsda

Post by Finsda » Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 pm

FAO marowak (or anyone else with the fan edition)

I noticed you were good enough to post a picture of a page from the fan edition for someone a few weeks ago - I'm in the same position in that I've had my story included but was unable to get a copy for myself so would be really grateful if you were able to post a photo on here - the show was 1015, Dunfermline 11/05/2011.

marowak

Post by marowak » Tue May 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Finsda wrote:FAO marowak (or anyone else with the fan edition)

I noticed you were good enough to post a picture of a page from the fan edition for someone a few weeks ago - I'm in the same position in that I've had my story included but was unable to get a copy for myself so would be really grateful if you were able to post a photo on here - the show was 1015, Dunfermline 11/05/2011.
I'll have a look when I get home ...
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Tue May 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Finsda wrote:FAO marowak (or anyone else with the fan edition)

Sir, your story is a page turner!!! Literally! Page 311 and 312- at exactly when you were on the verge of being made...

Read the book!

Daire

Post by Daire » Sat May 16, 2015 11:57 am

Watergirl wrote:I would love to get a copy of the fan edition as well. It's not the same as a real book, and I realize that it was a limited edition with everyone's name printed inside.
I have a photo of "my pages", but seeing the bit above and below that already makes me want to read everyone else's stories. An e-version would do fine for that.
I can swap with you if you want. I've no special need for the fan edition. I'm more or less based in Dublin.
insist on the impossible.