Bricks - Venues closing down.

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

NickSouthampton

Bricks - Venues closing down.

Post by NickSouthampton » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:11 pm

"Every good venue that closes down rips another piece from the heart of the town. A city is more than fancy flats, generic stores and chains of coffee shops."

Most of my favourite music started in small venues run by passionate people. Many of those are now begin closed to make way for other things. This is a song about how pissed off it makes me feel that these great places are closing.

https://soundcloud.com/nickhaynesmusic/bricks-1

I'm planning to put together a You Tube video with some names of places that have closed and others that are under threat.

Some of the places where I had a great time and have now been "redeveloped" include "The Nags Head, High Wycombe" and "The Marquee club, Wardour Street, London". Both incredible places in their prime.

There are other great places that are still going but have had a few wobbles over the years like "the Joiners, Southampton", "Talking Heads, Southampton" and "the Adelphi Club, Hull"

Any suggestions for great venues that have closed and others you will miss if they do.
Nick in "Sunny" Southampton.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

Bobstains

Re: Bricks - Venues closing down.

Post by Bobstains » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:18 am

The Charlotte in Leicester is now just a pub not a venue as flats have been built above it. I only went to this venue a handful of times but saw some good acts, the likes of Oasis, Frank, Artic Monkeys, Pulp, Coldplay, Radiohead, the list goes on have played there and its a shame Leicester lost it as a music venue. It's been gone a while now 09/10.

On a positive note, Firebug (another Leics venue Frank has played) is still going strong and celebrates 10 years soon (17th-20th) with a free weekend of some great music.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:03 am

Yeah, I saw Brand New in the Charlotte in Leicester.

So many venues have closed since I've been going to gigs in the last 15 years. I could count at least 10 in my town (Cheltenham) alone.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:36 am

Bobstains wrote:The Charlotte in Leicester is now just a pub not a venue as flats have been built above it. I only went to this venue a handful of times but saw some good acts, the likes of Oasis, Frank, Artic Monkeys, Pulp, Coldplay, Radiohead, the list goes on have played there and its a shame Leicester lost it as a music venue. It's been gone a while now 09/10.

On a positive note, Firebug (another Leics venue Frank has played) is still going strong and celebrates 10 years soon (17th-20th) with a free weekend of some great music.
Thanks for that. I think a lot of the problem is that people aren't wiling to pay much to go to small gigs. The other big thing is that new flats get built near venues and they complain about the noise. Final problem is that a venue is often worth more as residential than it is as a venue.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:38 am

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:Yeah, I saw Brand New in the Charlotte in Leicester.

So many venues have closed since I've been going to gigs in the last 15 years. I could count at least 10 in my town (Cheltenham) alone.
I wonder how widespread this is. I've seen lots of comments on USA sites that musicians find it harder to get somewhere to play.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Buffalo Bar in Islington is closing. Another small venue gone because the landlords don't want it there.

https://m.facebook.com/buffalobarlondon?_rdr

marowak

Post by marowak » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

MOVED TO GENERAL ...
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Blonde wrote:Buffalo Bar in Islington is closing. Another small venue gone because the landlords don't want it there.

https://m.facebook.com/buffalobarlondon?_rdr

I know it's all terribly sad about these venues closing, by I for one will not miss the Buffalo Bar. Horrible place to see a gig.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:38 pm

The Jailhouse in Hereford is closing at the end of the year but it will go out with a bang.

https://www.musicglue.com/transmissionm ... b97197254/

"Frank Turner played The Jailhouse in Hereford in 2007. He was paid £100 and a bottle of wine.
When he heard The Jailhouse was due to close at the end of the year, due to the increased pressure of running a venue in the current economic climate, he was quick to mention it on his social networks, and a plan was quickly hatched to bring him back.

Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls will play at The Jailhouse on Thursday 27th November. Tickets will be £20 and go on sale tomorrow morning at 10am. This is a strictly 18+ show.

This is the smallest show Frank will have played in a very long time and, along with XFM’s Winter Wonderland at Brixton Academy, one of his final shows of the year. For comparison, Brixton Academy is 5000 capacity, and The Jailhouse is just 300."

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Two more going in Southampton this year.

The Unit has just closed. (I believe Frank has bad experience there).

The Cellar is closing at the end of the year.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:32 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 93213.html

"Frank Turner, the folk-punk singer, and ambassador for next January's Independent Venue Week, hopes to meet Culture Secretary Sajid Javid to broker a solution. "The toilet circuit is vital," he said. "It gave groups like Biffy Clyro and Arctic Monkeys space to develop, hone their craft and build audiences. Without these clubs the only people able to play the O2 Arena will be X Factor Christmas tours." "

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Good to hear Frank on Radio 4 today in a piece about the Agent of Change Principle. They put the idea across well. There were a couple of dissenting voices but it was generally very positive.

It's one thing to Sell out Wembley, but to be on Radio 4, then you have made it.

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/

trogette

Post by trogette » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:54 pm

don't know why I missed this thread earlier this year, but I will definitely miss The Cockpit in Leeds, structural problems forced sudden closure back in August. The replacement venue is just not as good for seeing bands

js2

Post by js2 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Here's an odd but on-point article from one of the great minds of British music, Andrew Falkous:
http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/and ... eft-talks/
26/11/11, 13/11/12, 17/4/13, 9/2/14, 28/6/14(MH)
Next: 29/1/15

Tumblr:
http://letsbeheroesletsbemartyrs.tumblr.com
Other interests include Manic Street Preachers, future of the left, the unbelievable hopelessness of the human race and really bad jokes.

NickSouthampton

Post by NickSouthampton » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Piece of good news.
Paragraph 6 of the Planning Practice Guidance on Noise Guidance was amended on Christmas Eve to include specific mention of the need to recognise live music venues within planning development. The relevant section now reads:

"The potential effect of a new residential development being located close to an existing business that gives rise to noise should be carefully considered. This is because existing noise levels from the business even if intermittent (for example, a live music venue) may be regarded as unacceptable by the new residents and subject to enforcement action. To help avoid such instances, appropriate mitigation should be considered, including optimising the sound insulation provided by the new development’s building envelope".

If you are faced with a development that may potentially impact on your venue, please direct your local planning officer to the new advice and guidance, the full text is available here: http://planningguidance.planningportal. ... -guidance/

https://www.facebook.com/musicvenuetrus ... =1&theater

www.nickhaynesmusic.com/