Sexually Harassing My Way To The Front.

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

justdip

Sexually Harassing My Way To The Front.

Post by justdip » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:08 pm

I saw a gig last week and my friend was the victim of sexual harassment. It wasn't pretty and it almost resulted in fisticuffs. It didn't, but I thought I'd try and make something positive from the situation, so if you fancy reading this, I won't regret not swinging a clenched fist. Athankyou. http://justdip.co.uk/2014/06/26/sexuall ... the-front/

A lot of you go to gigs. How often have you been made to feel uncomfortable because of someone touching you, when they shouldn't have?

Shiney

Re: Sexually Harassing My Way To The Front.

Post by Shiney » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:25 pm

The trouble is, if you'd twatted the bloke it would be you that got thrown out of the gig and potentially dropped into the shit with the law. I have to say congratulations on your self restraint. I don't know if I could have stopped myself from battering the moron. I hope the experience hasn't put your friend off going to gigs in small dark rooms?
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:51 pm

justdip wrote: How often have you been made to feel uncomfortable because of someone touching you, when they shouldn't have?
So many variables here- the band, the venue. But I would stay 30% of the time, there will be an erection against your back. It is beyond annoying. I'm an older, assertive woman and can usually stop it with humor, but I have seen younger women distraught, and flee because of it, or get removed because they get aggressive with the offender. Alcohol usually has its part to play.
shows? 90 so far...

valderie

Post by valderie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:06 am

pretty sure if anyone ever touched me at a gig i'd break their fingers at the very least.

i have been at events where security tried to hold onto me to move me out of the venue and even then i swatted them off. just cause they're in a fancy jacket with a walkie doesnt mean they get to grab my arms.

helentx

Post by helentx » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:29 pm

I've been going to a lot of gigs in the last two years & so far (thank goodness) I haven't been on the end of grinding as described. But then the gigs are mostly Frank's or "friends of" Frank's gigs & maybe naively I've felt safe. Also being older than most it hadn't occurred to me that anyone would think of doing someone old enough to be their mum, again possibly naive of me. But there does come a time when men stop yelling comments from building sites & from out of vans so I just assume I'm not going to attract attention. Young women as far as I can tell (still) don't appreciate being on the receiving end of catcalling. Still less do female singers appreciate being told to get their tits out.

But young or old we are women who want to get on with our lives without being harrassed. The internet has enabled much more discussion about every day sexism & women are talking much more openly about things which have always gone on. Thanks justdip for writing this piece.

I'll add a link which I came across in a side bar when I was searching for Bellowhead's Revival album stream yesterday. The message is if you see something don't turn away.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -in-public

trogette

Post by trogette » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Only had someone leaning unpleasantly against me at a gig once, recently actually, might well have been at Royal Blood's set at Live at Leeds, but it was more of the 'if I lean on this not-too-strong-looking woman she'll move and I'll get nearer the front' kind of thing I *think* so I leaned back until he fucked off. There is definitely a bit of being 'of a certain age' about things but there again I'm often mistaken for being about 10 years younger than I am so I dunno.

But yeah I agree with the take action line, though I'd probably just shout rather than punch someone, for one thing I don't think my punching style is up to snuff.

this springs to mind: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/staind ... irl-video/