When Did We Get So Fucking Old?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

darlenet.

Re: When Did We Get So Fucking Old?

Post by darlenet. » Thu May 01, 2014 6:03 pm

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:The most annoying people at gigs are the ones that talk over the bands.
Agreed.

Close second are late arrivals who push and shove to the front.
shows? 90 so far...

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Fri May 02, 2014 4:22 pm

darlenet. wrote:
drinkthesunshinezine wrote:The most annoying people at gigs are the ones that talk over the bands.
Agreed.

Close second are late arrivals who push and shove to the front.
Hell yes! At the O2 gig my seat was on the aisle, back row. I am disabled and walk with sticks. Folks kept streaming up and down the stairs when ft was playing, and a lad in my row kept clambering over me to go to the bar during ft' s set. Don't get me wrong I like a drink, but watch the blinking show why don't you! How rude!
Sorry for the rant.

valderie

Post by valderie » Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 am

DaveK wrote:She saw The 1975 at the end of last year and gave Matt this necklace. About 3 months later, I heard a screech coming from her room. She apparently just noticed that the background shot of him she had on her laptop, was one where he was wearing that necklace. Freaked her out. Anyway.... you're never too old to experience good music.
Thats kind of adorable. How nice of him to wear her necklace!

NikkiS

Post by NikkiS » Sat May 03, 2014 11:11 pm

When did we get so fucking old? Way too long ago.

Who else feels awkward when they're the oldest person at a gig, especially when you know you're old enough to be the band's Mum?

Logic tells me no-one else is really going to give a shit how ancient I am but that doesn't stop me feeling paranoid until the lights go down and we all become one sweaty, anonymous, raving mass.

But that's what comes of being an ageing music lover. I like to discover new music and by its nature most new music is from new, young bands. And I love live music; so I'm going to have to keep being the freaky old woman that still, when she can't control herself, throws herself into a mosh pit amongst those decades younger than her.

Let's start a revolution; let's round up the Zimmer frame army and let's take over the ol' music halls. Let's jump around and jiggle our droopy bits with the young and nubile. Let's celebrate still being alive enough to appreciate watching fit, attractive youngsters perform for us. Viva the old!

blastman

Post by blastman » Thu May 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Nikki, I want to subscribe to your newsletter! :D

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Mon May 12, 2014 11:51 am

valderie wrote:
Blonde wrote: Not everyone has the option to tell the band face to face that they loved the gig they've just witnessed. It doesn't make them faceless or desperate and it doesn't make the sentiment insincere if they tweet the band to tell them instead.
I also think its very interesting how even a few years ago we didn't have the luxury of tweeting a message like this to bands we just saw, but now its so commonplace it can seem insincere. A lot of people (most, certainly me!) take social media and bands/celebrities for granted, and just assume that's where you'll give/get/share information. However it can also breed a sense of entitlement in a way, because fans build such strong one sided connections to these people that they feel like they DESERVE to be able to meet these people at events to be able to tell them what they mean to them - but that's a whooooole other can of worms ;)
Yes! Some of us are so fucking old we'd have loved a way to just tweet the band we loved to say it was a brilliant show.

Not opening that can of worms but I feel soooo lucky there's that happy medium now between totally anonymous fangirl and totally anonymous fangirl who can at least leave a message. The entitlement thing is amongst those who have had the option all their lives, I think.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

tampateri

Post by tampateri » Fri May 23, 2014 7:53 pm

I don't give a shit that I'm getting old. I'll bounce around as much as I can and have a blast. I've never been one to care about what other people think of me, though.