Photosynthesis t-shirt

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

drinkthesunshinezine
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Maybe people more involved in arena shows could confirm this or not, but aren't part of the reason why shirts etc are so expensive inside the gig because the venue puts a levy on merchandise?

When I was a teenager, I think I remember a punk alldayer (Deconstruction?) in about 2000 where the bands took the merch outside and sold it because of a charge by the venue (possibly the London Docklands arena).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

NikkiS
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 am

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by NikkiS » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Bootleggers have been around forever and aren't going away; artists can't stop them, the law can't stop them, the only ones who can are us lot by not buying the stuff...so help a girl be virtuous here and sell an official PS tee. (Broken record? Me?)

And depressing as it is for recording artists, my selfish streak is revelling in the amount of live music currently out there as bands turn to gigs instead of records for money.

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by frank » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 pm

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:Maybe people more involved in arena shows could confirm this or not, but aren't part of the reason why shirts etc are so expensive inside the gig because the venue puts a levy on merchandise?

When I was a teenager, I think I remember a punk alldayer (Deconstruction?) in about 2000 where the bands took the merch outside and sold it because of a charge by the venue (possibly the London Docklands arena).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
yes. the price of my shirts has risen in recent years, as i'm aware, but personally i make pretty much the same on them. nowadays venues take up to 25%, plus you start having to pay VAT on them at my level, which is another 20%. annoyingly though i'm the one who gets it in the neck from people when prices rise. sigh.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

User avatar
newmy
Posts: 2335
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by newmy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:20 pm

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:Maybe people more involved in arena shows could confirm this or not, but aren't part of the reason why shirts etc are so expensive inside the gig because the venue puts a levy on merchandise?

When I was a teenager, I think I remember a punk alldayer (Deconstruction?) in about 2000 where the bands took the merch outside and sold it because of a charge by the venue (possibly the London Docklands arena).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
If I recall, this is exactly what Beans On Toast did after the Wembley show.

User avatar
newmy
Posts: 2335
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by newmy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Also on a general note, 'back in the day' when I used to travel from my hometown of Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton and Birmingham for shows, there were a couple of guys from Shrewsbury who used to be out at those show pretty regularly too. They'd always play the bootleggers at their own game and work together to just nick the stuff. Given that these are nasty pieces of work this was probably a pretty risky thing to do, but they always got away with it.

NikkiS
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 am

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by NikkiS » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:20 pm

newmy wrote:Also on a general note, 'back in the day' when I used to travel from my hometown of Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton and Birmingham for shows, there were a couple of guys from Shrewsbury who used to be out at those show pretty regularly too. They'd always play the bootleggers at their own game and work together to just nick the stuff. Given that these are nasty pieces of work this was probably a pretty risky thing to do, but they always got away with it.
Now there's an idea. Newmy, how fast can you run? Want to be a tag team if I find a dodgy bootlegger with a PS tee?

User avatar
newmy
Posts: 2335
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by newmy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:29 am

NikkiS wrote:
newmy wrote:Also on a general note, 'back in the day' when I used to travel from my hometown of Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton and Birmingham for shows, there were a couple of guys from Shrewsbury who used to be out at those show pretty regularly too. They'd always play the bootleggers at their own game and work together to just nick the stuff. Given that these are nasty pieces of work this was probably a pretty risky thing to do, but they always got away with it.
Now there's an idea. Newmy, how fast can you run? Want to be a tag team if I find a dodgy bootlegger with a PS tee?
I'm out of breath if I run 5 metres for a bus. I'd advise you to seek an alterntive accomplice.

BigStu
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by BigStu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 am

frank wrote:
drinkthesunshinezine wrote:Maybe people more involved in arena shows could confirm this or not, but aren't part of the reason why shirts etc are so expensive inside the gig because the venue puts a levy on merchandise?

When I was a teenager, I think I remember a punk alldayer (Deconstruction?) in about 2000 where the bands took the merch outside and sold it because of a charge by the venue (possibly the London Docklands arena).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
yes. the price of my shirts has risen in recent years, as i'm aware, but personally i make pretty much the same on them. nowadays venues take up to 25%, plus you start having to pay VAT on them at my level, which is another 20%. annoyingly though i'm the one who gets it in the neck from people when prices rise. sigh.
I take it certain venues charge a lot more than others ? I remember speaking to Shaun Flores, the then Dropkick Murphys merch guy, about why a tshirt cost £15 one night at Barrowlands and then £20 the next at an academy group venue, where he said it was their cut of merch price was to blame.

User avatar
Bobstains
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by Bobstains » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:24 am

I was browsing fleabay yesterday and saw some of Franks lyrics in a picture frame, I checked Franks website and there aren't there so these aren't official, but I like them, so , rather then support someone trying to cash in i'll make my own, all I need is an A3 frame and some of my favourite Frank lyrics.

I also picked out a couple of t-shirts I liked from the store but neither had my size (only small left), any plans to restock the Black Anchor T-shirt and the Green Recovery Tour T-shirt will be greatly received by me.


Missed the merch stand on the way out of Nottingham, too busy singing and dancing my way outta there, wanted one of those tour posters too.

NikkiS
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 am

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by NikkiS » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:29 am

newmy wrote:
NikkiS wrote:
newmy wrote:Also on a general note, 'back in the day' when I used to travel from my hometown of Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton and Birmingham for shows, there were a couple of guys from Shrewsbury who used to be out at those show pretty regularly too. They'd always play the bootleggers at their own game and work together to just nick the stuff. Given that these are nasty pieces of work this was probably a pretty risky thing to do, but they always got away with it.
Now there's an idea. Newmy, how fast can you run? Want to be a tag team if I find a dodgy bootlegger with a PS tee?
I'm out of breath if I run 5 metres for a bus. I'd advise you to seek an alterntive accomplice.
If speed is not an option, maybe we need a distraction instead. Do you know of anyone who could whip a few hundred fans into a strategically placed frenzy?...

DTM11
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by DTM11 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 pm

I've stopped buying merch at gigs over the past couple of years because of rising costs and decreasing salary. I much prefer waiting until after the tour when any leftovers get put on the band/artists webstore. Usually it's cheaper and I'd like to think the band get the same cut if not more. I know bands like Iron Maiden only sell shirts with tour dates at the events and change them for the website after but with my fan club membership I can usually buy 2 t-shirts after I've seen them for the price of one at the gig.

I hate touts and fake merch people but sometimes I do have a chuckle over the poor quality stuff they sell. Best thing I saw was after a maiden gig in 2011 on the Final Frontier tour there was a guy selling scarfs and T-shirts with Finol Frontir 2012 tour written on it! what a joke. I just wish there was more that could be done to rid the pre/post gig experience of these nasty people.
1383, 1419, 1423, 1523, 1622, 1631, 1789, 1982, 1991, 1994, 2000

User avatar
marowak
Posts: 3518
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Lancing
Contact:

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by marowak » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:42 pm

there are some interesting articles out there if you google this ...

i think its a shame that the music industry (not sure what organisation this would site under though) does not try and put more pressure on the necessary bodies to stop this and touting happening.

it would not be hard to police a large venue and arrest / move on people who do not have a street selling licence and the fact that they are illegal merchandise.

i guess there is not enough resource out there for it to happen.

interestingly i've seen a lot of bands putting up blog posts etc asking people not to buy it and also make sure they announce it in their shows - the sad thing is a lot of people would not understand why this is being asked and probably think 'they are just saying that so they make more money' rather than understanding the problem.

in a slightly related manner - i think its great to see the tickets board in this forum doing so well and things like that will help ticket touting in the future ... if fans can exchange tickets at a face value price it will help reduce the demand for touts.

lunchtime rambling over for now .
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

User avatar
newmy
Posts: 2335
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by newmy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 pm

marowak wrote:there are some interesting articles out there if you google this ...

i think its a shame that the music industry (not sure what organisation this would site under though) does not try and put more pressure on the necessary bodies to stop this and touting happening.

it would not be hard to police a large venue and arrest / move on people who do not have a street selling licence and the fact that they are illegal merchandise.

i guess there is not enough resource out there for it to happen.

interestingly i've seen a lot of bands putting up blog posts etc asking people not to buy it and also make sure they announce it in their shows - the sad thing is a lot of people would not understand why this is being asked and probably think 'they are just saying that so they make more money' rather than understanding the problem.

in a slightly related manner - i think its great to see the tickets board in this forum doing so well and things like that will help ticket touting in the future ... if fans can exchange tickets at a face value price it will help reduce the demand for touts.

lunchtime rambling over for now .
I'm certain that outside a few gigs I've been too I've seen police with something along the lines of 'fraud protection officer' or 'copyright protection officer' on their uniforms. I'd have thought they were there with the explicit aim of shutting fake merch guys down, but they just seem to look on and do nothing.

User avatar
As Good As It Gets
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:38 pm
Location: Oop North!

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by As Good As It Gets » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:53 am

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:Maybe people more involved in arena shows could confirm this or not, but aren't part of the reason why shirts etc are so expensive inside the gig because the venue puts a levy on merchandise?

When I was a teenager, I think I remember a punk alldayer (Deconstruction?) in about 2000 where the bands took the merch outside and sold it because of a charge by the venue (possibly the London Docklands arena).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I was at that Deconstruction and remember it well. It was 2001 though.

13 years ago, god i'm getting old.

Image
43. 2nd February 2006 @ Jax Bar, Hartlepool

The day Frank came & played for me!

User avatar
MariaCollette
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: Winchester

Re: Photosynthesis t-shirt

Post by MariaCollette » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:55 pm

I find that unofficial merch isn't as pretty as the official merch anyway. Plus I'd rather pay more and support the artist, only if there is official merch I like.
"The pain that you feel, you only can heal by living."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests