Absolutely gutted

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

ray
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by ray » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Just to clarify I was just pulling her leg about "OFSTED"

But the fact remains yes you are right this is the internet and people are free to whine and bitch as I am free to whine and bitch at what I read. I just wish that more people got into the teaching proffesion who actually want to teach as opposed to something they just sort of fall into because they couldnt figure something else out. If your heart was in this job and this was your first parents evening, the first time you got to meet the parents surely that is something you would want to do. Just my thoughts.

User avatar
darlenet.
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Gainesville, Florida USA

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by darlenet. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:36 pm

ray wrote:Just to clarify I was just pulling her leg about "OFSTED"
Whew, good to know. I thought I was going to have to start behaving here.

Thanks for clarifying. I get what you are saying. There are certain expectations of dedication and professional behavior that are expected with a profession like teaching. And, let's face it, there are some people not cut out to be teachers. Remains to be seen. I must say I love seeing such involved Dads. Kudos!
shows? 90 so far...

Evan
Posts: 1839
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by Evan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:47 pm

This whole thread is a a car crash. Welcome back, Ray.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

ray
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by ray » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:49 pm

Lol thanks Evan.I have always been here. As I roll into my 30s I have just become much more of a lurker.

drinkthesunshinezine
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm

ray wrote:you are a teacher. teach, stop coming on the net to whinge about awful mentors, and annoying parents and telling us how bad your class is and how you cant go to a Frank Gig because of Parents evening. Im glad you are not my teacher. Your heart doesnt sound like its there.



p.s I have emailed your i.p to offsted
Haha - brilliant! I know that you are joking, but what makes you think that OFSTED would care anyway? Your child is just a statistic throughout their school life. The truth is that teachers care far more than you could ever realise. If you aren't involved in the education system, you just don't see it. The problem is that their jobs are made a thousand times harder by people like Michael Gove and the pressures put on them from advisors/OFSTED etc. A school is a business like any other - don't think that it's some special sugary place where everyone has to love children. Teachers have to ensure that children make progress - it doesn't mean that they have to like teaching your little prince/princess. Besides, they'll get another 30 of them in September and the machine will roll on regardless.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

DTM11
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by DTM11 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 am

I'm glad to see you are still able to get to a gig. The childish individual I am would, in your situation, have some fun during the parents evening and try and slip as many Frank Lyrics into your meetings with the parents as a little game to keep things interesting. Just a quick head up also. It's probably ok talking about stuff like this on here but be careful what you put on facebook about topics like this as 3 teachers got suspended at a school near me for complaining about things on there as some parents saw and complained!
1383, 1419, 1423, 1523, 1622, 1631, 1789, 1982, 1991, 1994, 2000, 2066, 2130

User avatar
Tomasz
Posts: 1546
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:05 am

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by Tomasz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Evan wrote:This whole thread is a a car crash. Welcome back, Ray.
:lol:
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

User avatar
Em
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by Em » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Wow, that escalated quickly.
For the record, it's not the parent's evenings generally that I have an issue with. The fact is, I was given parent's evenings dates, booked a gig and then last minute the dates were changed. Of course, I still cancelled the gig and fulfilled my duty but I am going to find it a bit annoying. Have a look on the TES forums - there are literally hundreds of teachers complaining about the support they are getting from their school or the behaviour in their classes. There is a lot of pressure on teachers and I know so many already who want to quit. Teachers are still only human and can only do so much. And the truth is, some schools are much less supportive than others. Some mentors do bully NQTs and some schools do leave new teachers with more than they are supposed to to save money.
Telling me that I should stop bitching on the internet and go and teach? I do nothing else! I get into work at 7am and leave at 18.30. When I go home, I work more. In fact, that is pretty much all I do. I wouldn't do it at all if I didn't care about the children. What makes you think because it's my first parent's evening that I haven't met any parents yet? I regularly speak to children's parents as it is, both when they are doing well and not so well. I make myself available all through the week every week for parents to talk to me about any concerns. Parent's meeting in our school is to go over the levels/targets for ten minutes. I am happy we get that time but it is not the be all and end all. I was only complaining about the day it ended up on.
And yes, a few parents are annoying. I thought it was obvious that I was exaggerating about 25 of them. In fact, many teachers agree that they are the worst part of the job. There will always be a few people who are annoying no matter what job you do. You can work in customer service and find some people annoying but it doesn't mean everyone is. I'm sure Frank has found some of his fans annoying - does that mean he shouldn't do the job? I was simply starting a conversation on here about how I was sad that I would no longer be able to make it, The parts about the problems I had with the school were only relevant later on as to why I didn't want to kick up a fuss about the dates being changed. You seem to think that by saying the behaviour in the class is bad, I am somehow bitching about the children personally, or saying they are inherently bad people. They are children. Simply children. I do not blame them at all. It is a situation that can and needs to be fixed.

If my heart was not in it, I would not have made it this far and I would not be continuing to make it in every day. I am slightly regretting it as a career choice simply because of how much it takes over your life and how there is no time for anything else. I have no idea how, for example, people go on when they have children in this job. Every school is so different, and the experience from one school to the next can be worlds apart. I would like to move on to a different school as soon as possible, as some of the things happening are not ideal. I would, of course, not go around saying that anywhere other than an anonymous internet forum. In the meantime, I am still teaching every day, still doing as much work as I can, still doing my best to meet every target they give me etc and still trying to ensure the children make progress. And yes, still sacrificing anything in my personal life to do my professional duties. Find me a teacher who has never gone home and moaned about a student, or a parent, or a headteacher and you'll have found me a liar.

User avatar
Bobstains
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by Bobstains » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 am

Em wrote:Wow, that escalated quickly.
For the record, it's not the parent's evenings generally that I have an issue with. The fact is, I was given parent's evenings dates, booked a gig and then last minute the dates were changed. Of course, I still cancelled the gig and fulfilled my duty but I am going to find it a bit annoying. Have a look on the TES forums - there are literally hundreds of teachers complaining about the support they are getting from their school or the behaviour in their classes. There is a lot of pressure on teachers and I know so many already who want to quit. Teachers are still only human and can only do so much. And the truth is, some schools are much less supportive than others. Some mentors do bully NQTs and some schools do leave new teachers with more than they are supposed to to save money.
Telling me that I should stop bitching on the internet and go and teach? I do nothing else! I get into work at 7am and leave at 18.30. When I go home, I work more. In fact, that is pretty much all I do. I wouldn't do it at all if I didn't care about the children. What makes you think because it's my first parent's evening that I haven't met any parents yet? I regularly speak to children's parents as it is, both when they are doing well and not so well. I make myself available all through the week every week for parents to talk to me about any concerns. Parent's meeting in our school is to go over the levels/targets for ten minutes. I am happy we get that time but it is not the be all and end all. I was only complaining about the day it ended up on.
And yes, a few parents are annoying. I thought it was obvious that I was exaggerating about 25 of them. In fact, many teachers agree that they are the worst part of the job. There will always be a few people who are annoying no matter what job you do. You can work in customer service and find some people annoying but it doesn't mean everyone is. I'm sure Frank has found some of his fans annoying - does that mean he shouldn't do the job? I was simply starting a conversation on here about how I was sad that I would no longer be able to make it, The parts about the problems I had with the school were only relevant later on as to why I didn't want to kick up a fuss about the dates being changed. You seem to think that by saying the behaviour in the class is bad, I am somehow bitching about the children personally, or saying they are inherently bad people. They are children. Simply children. I do not blame them at all. It is a situation that can and needs to be fixed.

If my heart was not in it, I would not have made it this far and I would not be continuing to make it in every day. I am slightly regretting it as a career choice simply because of how much it takes over your life and how there is no time for anything else. I have no idea how, for example, people go on when they have children in this job. Every school is so different, and the experience from one school to the next can be worlds apart. I would like to move on to a different school as soon as possible, as some of the things happening are not ideal. I would, of course, not go around saying that anywhere other than an anonymous internet forum. In the meantime, I am still teaching every day, still doing as much work as I can, still doing my best to meet every target they give me etc and still trying to ensure the children make progress. And yes, still sacrificing anything in my personal life to do my professional duties. Find me a teacher who has never gone home and moaned about a student, or a parent, or a headteacher and you'll have found me a liar.

/like

ray
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by ray » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Em wrote:Wow, that escalated quickly.
For the record, it's not the parent's evenings generally that I have an issue with. The fact is, I was given parent's evenings dates, booked a gig and then last minute the dates were changed. Of course, I still cancelled the gig and fulfilled my duty but I am going to find it a bit annoying. Have a look on the TES forums - there are literally hundreds of teachers complaining about the support they are getting from their school or the behaviour in their classes. There is a lot of pressure on teachers and I know so many already who want to quit. Teachers are still only human and can only do so much. And the truth is, some schools are much less supportive than others. Some mentors do bully NQTs and some schools do leave new teachers with more than they are supposed to to save money.
Telling me that I should stop bitching on the internet and go and teach? I do nothing else! I get into work at 7am and leave at 18.30. When I go home, I work more. In fact, that is pretty much all I do. I wouldn't do it at all if I didn't care about the children. What makes you think because it's my first parent's evening that I haven't met any parents yet? I regularly speak to children's parents as it is, both when they are doing well and not so well. I make myself available all through the week every week for parents to talk to me about any concerns. Parent's meeting in our school is to go over the levels/targets for ten minutes. I am happy we get that time but it is not the be all and end all. I was only complaining about the day it ended up on.
And yes, a few parents are annoying. I thought it was obvious that I was exaggerating about 25 of them. In fact, many teachers agree that they are the worst part of the job. There will always be a few people who are annoying no matter what job you do. You can work in customer service and find some people annoying but it doesn't mean everyone is. I'm sure Frank has found some of his fans annoying - does that mean he shouldn't do the job? I was simply starting a conversation on here about how I was sad that I would no longer be able to make it, The parts about the problems I had with the school were only relevant later on as to why I didn't want to kick up a fuss about the dates being changed. You seem to think that by saying the behaviour in the class is bad, I am somehow bitching about the children personally, or saying they are inherently bad people. They are children. Simply children. I do not blame them at all. It is a situation that can and needs to be fixed.

If my heart was not in it, I would not have made it this far and I would not be continuing to make it in every day. I am slightly regretting it as a career choice simply because of how much it takes over your life and how there is no time for anything else. I have no idea how, for example, people go on when they have children in this job. Every school is so different, and the experience from one school to the next can be worlds apart. I would like to move on to a different school as soon as possible, as some of the things happening are not ideal. I would, of course, not go around saying that anywhere other than an anonymous internet forum. In the meantime, I am still teaching every day, still doing as much work as I can, still doing my best to meet every target they give me etc and still trying to ensure the children make progress. And yes, still sacrificing anything in my personal life to do my professional duties. Find me a teacher who has never gone home and moaned about a student, or a parent, or a headteacher and you'll have found me a liar.
Having read your your entire 707 words I do stand corrected and I humbly apologise.

I am sure your heart is in the job

ray
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Absolutely gutted

Post by ray » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm

now get on with your homework marking Mrs Featherstone.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests