Prince

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

seamiedev
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:21 am
Location: Ireland

Prince

Post by seamiedev » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Total cunt, or right to protect what's his; discuss.....................
:D

Shiney
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:01 pm
Location: Ocksfurdshyre

Re: Prince

Post by Shiney » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Given what? Has he done something precious? More information required.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: Prince

Post by Gleena » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Shiney wrote:Given what? Has he done something precious? More information required.

.....has he done something else precious lately....

But he does have a right to protect his music. I'm into that. Just because an artist (or The Artist Formerly Known As) creates something doesn't give all and sundry a right to it.

ETA: He doesn't have to protect it from me, mind you. Hasn't had to since I stopped wanting to be Madonna and started wanting to be Joe Strummer or Henry Rollins.

OTOH, maybe I shouldn't be a pretentious cunt anymore, I'm far from 16.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

User avatar
darlenet.
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Gainesville, Florida USA

Re: Prince

Post by darlenet. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:44 am

Not sure what Prince has been up to lately, but below is a link to a discussion here on Music piracy which included many opinions on the subject and some interviews by Frank on the subject (in Bella's comment).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5236

Gleena wrote:Hasn't had to since I stopped wanting to be Madonna and started wanting to be Joe Strummer or Henry Rollins.

OTOH, maybe I shouldn't be a pretentious cunt anymore, I'm far from 16.
Well, so are Madonna or Harry Rollins.
shows? 90 so far...

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: Prince

Post by Gleena » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:17 am

darlenet. wrote:Not sure what Prince has been up to lately, but below is a link to a discussion here on Music piracy which included many opinions on the subject and some interviews by Frank on the subject (in Bella's comment).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5236

Gleena wrote:Hasn't had to since I stopped wanting to be Madonna and started wanting to be Joe Strummer or Henry Rollins.

OTOH, maybe I shouldn't be a pretentious cunt anymore, I'm far from 16.
Well, so are Madonna or Harry Rollins.
Haha, true! I mostly meant maybe I should stop heaping shit on Prince for being Prince. That's how it sounded in my own head.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

seamiedev
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:21 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Prince

Post by seamiedev » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 am

Prince Sues 22 Webmasters for $22 Million Over Live Bootlegs :yikes:

Prince is hitting the road, but maybe think twice before recording any of the shows and posting tracks online. His Purpleness has filed a copyright lawsuit against 22 different users of Facebook and Google's Blogger platform. And although he doesn't know the identity of all the defendants, he's demanding each pay $1 million in damages. That could've bought a lot of Paisley Park pajama-party tickets.

According to the 21-page complaint filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco (via Antiquiet), the defendants "engage in massive infringement and bootlegging of Prince's material." The lawsuit targets Dan Chodera, Karina Jindrova, and 20 anonymous defendants. Chodera and Jindrova allegedly operated a no-longer-online Facebook account that posted a bunch of bootleg Prince videos. The other defendants — "Does" 1 through 20 — are accused of similar infractions, such as pointing to a 1983 Chicago set from WorldofBootleg.blogspot.com. Hey, we'd like to hear that one.

Prince asks for a jury trial, which, though highly unlikely, would have to make for some fascinating courtroom drama. In addition to the $22 million total in damages, Prince wants the defendants permanently blocked from infringing on his copyrights. He also wants them to forfeit any money they may have made from his music — with interest — and to return any "unlawful materials" to their rightful Purple custody. Oh, and they'd better cover his lawyers' fees, too. The defendants haven't commented publicly yet, but it's theoretically possible they thought they were actually sharing concerts by Phish, right? Only, like, four letters off!

- FROM SPINNER.COM
:D

User avatar
darlenet.
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Gainesville, Florida USA

Re: Prince

Post by darlenet. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:07 pm

seamiedev wrote:Prince Sues 22 Webmasters for $22 Million Over Live Bootlegs
Ah so that's it. Thanks for posting.
shows? 90 so far...

User avatar
Watergirl
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Prince

Post by Watergirl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:45 pm

I was hoping he might play Glastonbury….
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 *1216* 1257/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 *1700* 1704/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 *2000* 2076/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55 2339/40/41/42/43/55/58/76

User avatar
darlenet.
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Gainesville, Florida USA

Re: Prince

Post by darlenet. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Watergirl wrote:I was hoping he might play Glastonbury….
I saw him in 2000 in Atlanta for Hit & Run Tour. Such an entertainer! And his guitar work....he's on my bucket list to see again.
shows? 90 so far...

reitzel6570
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:46 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: Prince

Post by reitzel6570 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:10 pm

I'd need a bit more info to decide if he's a cunt or not. Like what was the profit margin on those bootlegs, and how prolific was it? Someone freely sharing a crappy audience recording of a show, or even an IEM/soundboard, or youtube stuff, doesn't break my moral code. Those people out there with more professional-type secret video setups that run a for-profit business recording multiple artists that they're not even a fan of, and aren't just doing it for fun and asking for money to cover costs -- that goes over the line for me. Not that I haven't owned a few of those in my time (from someone who bought it and then torrented it, so I was doing a little stealing myself).

And uploading/downloading anything that was officially released that had a price associated with it is just plain stealing. You just want to check out a band to see if you like them? There's probably some stuff to listen to at their website, or Spotify a few songs, or (aging myself here), go to the library and borrow the album. But if you're going to keep listening -- go buy it FFS.

seamiedev
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:21 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Prince

Post by seamiedev » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:10 pm

reitzel6570 wrote:I'd need a bit more info to decide if he's a cunt or not. Like what was the profit margin on those bootlegs, and how prolific was it? Someone freely sharing a crappy audience recording of a show, or even an IEM/soundboard, or youtube stuff, doesn't break my moral code...........
From what I understand of it Reitzel it's people that were making audience recordings available for free download, which I thought the vast majority of artists didn't have any problem with, if he had an issue with it he could have surely asked them to stop under threat of legal action, but to just go straight for the throat ??, surely these people are just fans sharing as you put it "crappy audience" recordings, and stand about as much chance of raising $1 Million as I do of shitting a golden egg.
:D

Evan
Posts: 1839
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Prince

Post by Evan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 pm

I am going to weigh in here...if Prince doesnt want you recording his shows, then he has every right to request that you don't, and then to take action if you do.

When I saw him they had signs up all over the place, as well as a static image on the screen for the entire run up to the show asking people not to use cameras etc and to instead just enjoy the show. "tonight is for memories" or words to that effect. I totally get behind that. So anyone who did go to see him would have been exposed to these requests, and therefore chose to ignore them. So it is THEY who are the cunt.

Once upon a time not that long ago - maybe still a bit too long ago for some of you - even taking your camera to a show was totally against the rules. And it was prosecutable by law to make illegal recordings at shows.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

SB
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Prince

Post by SB » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:35 pm

I agree with Evan. In fact I'm a bit of a twat - I was watching Rufus Wainwright and the person in front of me was recording the entire show on a camera, so I informed an usher (there were signs requesting no recording) and had them thrown out. As the gig was seated the light from the camera, and where they were holding it, were ruining the show for me so although I was a complete snitch I enjoyed the rest of the show. Smugly.

Evan
Posts: 1839
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Prince

Post by Evan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:06 pm

SB wrote:I agree with Evan. In fact I'm a bit of a twat - I was watching Rufus Wainwright and the person in front of me was recording the entire show on a camera, so I informed an usher (there were signs requesting no recording) and had them thrown out. As the gig was seated the light from the camera, and where they were holding it, were ruining the show for me so although I was a complete snitch I enjoyed the rest of the show. Smugly.
Would 100% have done the same
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: Prince

Post by Gleena » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Evan wrote:
Once upon a time not that long ago - maybe still a bit too long ago for some of you - even taking your camera to a show was totally against the rules. And it was prosecutable by law to make illegal recordings at shows.
I remember this all too well, actually, though in the US and not the UK. It's when photo passes meant something.

I just got thrown off a Facebook group (non-Frank related) that I quite enjoyed for suggesting that artists have every right to control their art, in any way they want, and not respecting that makes you an asshole.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests