A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Bossman66

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:30 pm

The updated list of what I've bought each week:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'
03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'
10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'
17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'
24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey
31/03/14 - 'Out Among The Stars' by Johnny Cash, also got 'Education, Education, Education & War' by The Kaiser Chiefs
07/04/14 - 'Tremors' by Sohn
14/04/14 - 'Caustic Love' by Paolo Nutini
21/04/14 - 'The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett' by Eels, also got 'Rented World' by The Menzingers
28/04/14 - 'Indie Cindy' by 'Pixies'
05/05/14 - 'Magic Mountain' by 'Black Stone Cherry'
12/05/14 - 'Turn Blue' by The Black Keys, also got 'Half The City' by 'St Paul & The Broken Bones'
19/05/14 - 'Upside Down Monutain' by Conor Oberst, also got 'Ghost Stories' by 'Coldplay'
26/05/14 - 'Are We There' by Sharon Van Etten, also got 'House Of Jacks' by Blair Dunlop
02/06/14 - 'Disgraceland' by 'The Orwells', also got 'Nights Like This' by Eli 'Paperboy' Reed
09/06/14 - 'Favorite Waitress' by 'The Felice Brothers'
16/06/14 - 'heartsouldblood' by 'Royal Southern Brotherhood'
23/06/14 - 'X' (Multiply) by ED Sheeran
30/06/14 - 'Remedy' by 'Old Crow Medicine Show
07/07/14 - 'Deep River' by Jon Allen
14/07/14 - 'Wild Animals' by 'Trampled By Turtles'
21/07/14 - 'Songs' by John Fullbright
28/07/14 - 'Hypnotic Eye' by Tom Pety & The Heartbreakers
04/08/14 - 'Angus and Julia Stone' by 'Angus & Julia Stone
11/08/14 - 'Get Hurt' by 'The Gaslight Anthem'
18/08/14 - 'Alias' by 'The Magic Numbers'
25/08/14 - 'Royal Blood' by 'Royal Blood'
01/09/14 - 'The Day's End' by 'Lonely The Brave'
08/09/14 - 'A New House' by 'Deacon Blue'
15/09/14 - 'Bulletproof Picasso' by 'Train'
22/09/14 - 'Popular Problems' by 'Leonard Cohen'
29/09/14 - 'The Weird & Wonderful Marmozets' by 'The Marmozets'
06/10/14 - 'Standing In The Breach' by 'Jackson Browne'
13/10/14 - 'Rose Ave' by 'You & Me'
20/10/14 - 'Melody Road' by 'Neil Diamond'
27/10/14 - 'Honor Is Al We Know' by 'Rancid'
03/11/14 - 'Indian Ocean' by 'Frazey Ford'
10/11/14 - 'Sonic Highways' by 'Foo Fighters'
17/11/14 - 'Lost On The River' by 'The New Basement Tapes'
24/11/14 - 'Listen' by 'David Guetta'

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:31 am

This week I got Rock Or Bust' by AC/DC. It's a committed album and in a word, it simply..................ROCKS!

I'm not the biggest fan of the band, & have to confess I really only knew 'Back In Black' (album), Highway To Hell (single) & bits & pieces of their work before taking more of an interest in the last couple of years & a friend turned me onto 'Powerage' (album) earlier this year.

The album kicks off with the title track & lead single & the opening words are almost a manifesto for the band & the album........

"We be a good time band
We play across the land
Shootin' out tonight
Gonna keep you up alright

You hear the guitar sound
Playin' nice and loud
Rock you to your knees
Gonna make your destiny

In rock we trust, it's rock or bust
In rock we trust, it's rock or bust
In what we trust, it's rock or bust
In rock n' roll we trust, it's rock or bust........."

From there onwards it's a true AC/DC album in every sense, big vocals from Brian Johnson, big riffs from Angus Young and songs written by Angus with his brother Malcolm, now sadly forced to leave the band with dementia (the album booklet ending with the dedication 'and most important of all, thanks to Mal, who made it all possible.'

In your face song titles abound, 'Rock Or Bust', 'Rock The Blues Away' (which may be my early favourite song here), 'Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder', 'Rock The House', 'Dogs Of War' etc

Here's Rock The Blues Away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIDQwGbMkho

You certainly aren't getting any ballads this week. If it ain't broke, don't fix it', which could almost be a new song title for them. A bit like Meatloaf, why change a winning formula.

That said, these are committed performances & make me want to go back to their earlier works (& Black Ice in particular which didn't grab me) to see what I've been missing. They seem to respond well to hardship & loss (as they did when founding member Bon Scott passed & Back In Black was released). This time Phil Rudd has been in the headlines as well as Malcolm Young's loss.

I really like Rock Or Bust, Play Ball, Rock The Blues Away, Miss Adventure, Hard Times, Rock The House, & Emission Control which closes it out as the longest song (although none of them are properly long). Not quite so fond of 'Sweet Candy' & 'Baptism By Fire' but overall this is 35 minutes of flat out AC/DC by numbers ROCK and I'm gonna do everything to see them on tour for the first time next year..................

Let's 'Play Ball' to close this one out.................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT8e7i0ccLQ

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Evan wrote:
Bossman66 wrote:Gonna need advice for Monday.

The obvious choice is The 3rd Three Years, but that's not technically 'new' material. My daughter would insist on Olly Murs, which is no doubt decent 'pop' music, but not very rock n roll & that leaves what?

I've been through 8 pages on Amazon's new releases & not found much to go for..............

Bossman

http://www.xtramilerecordings.com/Shop/ ... XMR_RE_177
Gone for this one today, but not in any of the limited record stores in Exeter, so my reviw may be early next week as I've had to resort to Amazon!
Bossman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 pm

You could have followed the link in the post and ordered it directly from Xtra Mile

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:51 am

Blonde wrote:You could have followed the link in the post and ordered it directly from Xtra Mile
Do you ever get tired of always being right? Lol.

I don't usually pre-order as I've often found things I ordered didn't arrive on release date!

It'll come and get an honest review, so let's hope your recommendation was good!

Bossman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Bossman66 wrote:
Blonde wrote:You could have followed the link in the post and ordered it directly from Xtra Mile
Do you ever get tired of always being right? Lol.
No.

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Chrsitmasish Compilation chocked full of amazing artists!

https://addistock.wordpress.com/2014/12 ... istocking/
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:29 am

My review will be late. Amazon not got it in stock, so still not received.

Maybe 'Blonde' will give us more words of wisdom and a review.......

Bossman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:10 am

Bossman66 wrote:
Maybe 'Blonde' will give us more words of wisdom and a review.......

It's awesome. You should all buy it (from Xtra Mile, where it was released on 24th November). It's a nice antidote to the normal sickly Christmas songs.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Thank you. Now how about next week?

I need help for Dec 15th though, as there are hardly any new releases now.

I can't buy Nicki Minaj surely?

Maybe this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flood-Mercy-Ed- ... 54&sr=1-50

Bossman

Oasisbobo

Post by Oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Check out Waking A Sleepwalker by Tommy Reilly. :)

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Oasisbobo wrote:Check out Waking A Sleepwalker by Tommy Reilly. :)
Is the physical cd out tomorrow? I can onlybfind it as a download that's been available for a couple of months. That doesn't fit with the criteria I set out at the beginning.
Bossman

Oasisbobo

Post by Oasisbobo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Bossman66 wrote:
Oasisbobo wrote:Check out Waking A Sleepwalker by Tommy Reilly. :)
Is the physical cd out tomorrow? I can onlybfind it as a download that's been available for a couple of months. That doesn't fit with the criteria I set out at the beginning.
Bossman
Ah I didn't know the criteria. Apologies :)

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Sorry for the delay. I hope the review pleases Blonde.........

Last week (belatedly due to bad delivery times from Amazon) I bought 'It's A Wonderful Christmas Carol' by 'The Retrospective Soundtrack Players' and in a word it's part of it's title.................'wonderful'

I've just listened to it in the car & back to back 3 times on repeat at home so my review is somewhat limited.

I know very little about them other than they're signed to Frank Turner's label 'Xtra Mile' & first appeared on a B-Side of his. Their records are pastiches based on their favourite books, films and other media & this is obviously a mash-up (their words) of Dickens & Capra in a contemporary setting.

They are a band led by Kyle Evans who writes all the songs and this album includes guest appearances by Chris T-T, Frank Turner, Ben Marwood & Barry Doolan (Aka Oxygen Thief) who I believe are all label mates.

The booklet splits the tunes into 3 sections, tracks 1-4, 5-8 & 9-11

Section 1 starts with a glorious Piano instrumental minute long intro, the 'Theme from It's A Wonderful Christmas Carol' before launching into the great 'I'm Sleeping This Christmas' which sets the tone proper, telling the story of a guy who's had enough of the festive season and wants to sleep through it to a much more tuneful mid tempo fully bell laden tune.

'It's A Wonderful Life' is more of a brief (2 minute) acoustic folk song about the story of the band (I think)

'Bah Humbug' is just a brilliant pop song with a great piano refrain! Puts a huge smile on my face & for a comparison (for the album in fact) maybe The Divine Comedy.

'Clarence, The Guardian Angel' (mid tempo & good) kicks off Section 2 & is a fine tune which is a sort of prelude to the next three tracks titled 'The Ghost Of Christmas Past/Present & Yet To Come' repectively with subtitles to follow.

'TGOCPast' (I'm A Coward) features Chris T-T. It's a really nice slow building ballad, not had time to fully take in the lyric of this one.

'TGOCPresent' (No Ego) features Frank Turner & of course I love it, with it's soaring chorus

'TGOCYet To Come (I Can't Be Anyone Else) features Ben Marwood is possibly the album centrepiece coming in at 8 minutes. Again I've not had time to study the lyric but it feels a sad yet beautiful piece, closing out with a repeat of the opening 'theme' if I'm not mistaken

After that 'A Christmas Carol' (sort of) inspired foursome, the album closes out with three more tunes each of which I love. This may be my favourite of the 3 'sections' commencing with 'Christmas Day' which I believe is the catchy single. You can't go wrong with a harmonica section, lol

Next up is almost a Christmas polka, lol, 'Every Time A Bell Rings An Angel Gets It's Wings'. Great fun tune.

Finally this album comes to a masterpiece of a finish with 'No Man Is Poor Who Has Friends'. I reckon they knew this was a highlight as it's the only tune to have the lyrics on the sleeve. A lovely summation of friendship, 'We might not have scaled the highest of peaks, but we've clung to each other with tears on our cheeks. Made each other's lives better, and really that speaks for itself' - 'And In The End (Beatles anyone?), No Man Is Poor Who Has Friends X3', & then it segues into a refrain from Auld Lang Syne to finish - WONDERFUL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKHNCnsymo

After 4 listens I KNOW this album will become a traditional part of my Christmas listening, akin to the awesome Phil Spector's Christmas Album, part of the fabric of my Christmas's future. I love it & recommend it to anyone who has Christmas albums or who loves Xmas.

Do yourself a favour & go and get it before Christmas if you can but in time for next if you can't.............

This should be in my top albums of the year and would be if it wasn't a seasonal offering.

Bossman

blastman

Post by blastman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:39 pm

You've sold me, just ordered it.