A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Bossman66

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 pm

This week I bought 'Sonic Highways' by the Foo Fighters and in a word it's........................samey.

That's not to say I dislike it but I do have some opinions on this one.

Firstly, let me say I like the Foos a lot having at least copies of all of their albums to date. I think my main problems with this one are probably related to it's promotion & marketing.

I love the main thrust that the music & narratives are informed by the studios & different cities in which the 8 tracks are recorded & it makes for a great documentary style tv series (& no doubt forthcoming dvd/blu-ray package) but I'm far from convinced that these 'sonic highways' really influence the sound, although no doubt they've had an impact on the lyrics.

Unfortunately the Foos are largely known for big heavy riffs & music, all of which is present here, rather than the lyrics in my opinion at least & so for me it makes little difference whether Dave Grohl wrote all the lines or lifted them from interviews with musicians, producers etc on the road, or a mix of both approaches.

My problem basically is that the songs sound like Foo Fighters songs, they don't sound like Foo Fighters songs influenced by the genres of the areas in which they were recorded & Dave has said that he wanted to see how recording in different cities & studios would make them sound. So 'Something From Nothing does not come off sounding like Chicago blues particularly, Congregation does not have a Nashville Country influence, In The Clear, does not have a New Orleans Jazz feel, & I Am A River does not come across as West Coast rock etc,etc.

With that point made, let's take a look at the results, which have had somewhat mediocre professional reviews.

8 tracks, 42 minutes of which I love 3 tracks, like 3 a lot & find the 2 leftovers pretty standard Foo Fighters fare!

The opener 'Something From Nothing' is one of my favoured 3. I love the repetitive guitar hook & the way the song builds & builds to a crescendo. Great first single material!

'The Feat & The Famine' is in the 2nd tier group of 3 for me, but probably the best of these 3. The heaviest track here I reckon with Grohl screaming the lyrics in places. He doesn't really pronounce famine in my opinion, lol.

'Congregation' is another in my second group of 3, on a par with track 2, features another nice guitar riff that they do so well.

Then we come to my absolute favourite track on this album 'What Did I Do/God As My Witness', one of 2 tracks actually that do sound a little different for the band I think. Starts with a very short big intro statement then goes acoustic immediately before the backing comes in (sounds a bit like elements of 'Big Me' or 'Next Year' in this bit. Sounds like he's asking what he's done to lose the girl & what can he do to save the relationship in the first part of the song as it builds with crashing drums conclusion, then it reverts to almost wholly acoustic. The second part God As My Witness almost sounds like Gospel Rock. It sounds like there's an orchestra on it almost too, before a great guitar solo brings it to a close as the lyric fades. This one is brilliant I think! Agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2qM619h94

If you were to analyse it in Bruce terms you could imagine the band were thinking of the 4 corners idea of a vinyl lp with the strongest tracks on the '4 corners' opening & closing side 1.

The weakest corner for me would be the imaginary side 2 opener 'Outside' which I recon is a pretty straight forward Foos rocker. It has some nice guitar work but maybe it's the title for me. I didn't like George Michael's 'Outside' either, lol. Good bass on this one too though. This one's one of my 2 least favourites here I'm afraid

Track 6 is 'In The Clear' which again is in my second tier 3. I' have switched this & 'Outside' in the running order in fact. Apparently The Preservation Hall Jazz Band feature on it, but if they do they're in the back of the mix or playing Foos music, cos there's no clear sign of them or jazz.

'Subterranean' is the penultimate track & my least favourite. Sounds like something they've done before, mid paced & just a little boring to these ears. I suppose it's understated & could grow on me.

They have saved something good to close with though. The last of my 3 favoured tracks is 'I Am A River'. It continues the trend I noticed earlier in the year of closing out with the longest number on the album. Maybe they've all been listening to 'Jungleland' on Born To Run? This is the New York track but strangely features strings closing it out with a big finish recorded in LA by the Los Angeles Youth Orchestra. Not sure that's conducive to getting a distinct NY sound, but nevertheless this is different for the Foo Fighters and all the better for it. It's a slow building, yearning ballad. I reckon he's saying I'll be your river, your lifeblood if you like, if that's what she really wants. Anyway whatever he's saying it's great and all the better for sounding a little different for them!

Overall I like the album a lot but the hype meant I wanted to really love it & I don't quite that much. As a concept I'd say it makes for a great tv series & a strongish album. They certainly haven't stepped backwards with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cqHAgnub_M

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:50 pm

I would have suggested Pink Floyd's The Endless River this week ... even though it's really just Division Bell outtakes, it's exquisite and powerful.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:04 am

You should have gone for some Incinery - Dead, Bound and Buried.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 pm

This week I bought 'Lost On The River' by 'The New Basement Tapes' and in a word it's...............................mixed.

The New Basement Tapes are a collective of musicians Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons of course), Rhiannon Giddens (lead singer of Carolina Chocolate Drops), Jim Jones (My Morning Jacket) & Taylor Goldsmith (of US Folk/Rock band 'Dawes') who all take lead vocals and other instrumental parts throughout.

The album consists of 20 tracks, songs by these artists using recently discovered lyrics written by Bob Dylan in 1966 & 1967 in the period between his motorcycle accident & the first original Basement Tapes recordings all produced by T Bone Burnett which gives it a very professional sound, akin to Raising Sand by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss.

Interestingly this results in different songs & styles featuring the same lyrics.

The music itself ranges from Americana to Rock & Blues with Country, Bluegrass, Folk & bits of Gospel too en route.

Too much to review individual tracks, but songs I really like include the opener 'Down On The Bottom' (Jim Jones), 'Kansas City' (Mumford & Goldsmith), 'Liberty Street' (Goldsmith), 'Nothing To It' (Jones-almost a swing feel to this one), 'When I Get My Hands On You' (Mumford & Goldsmith), 'Duncan And Jimmy' (Giddens-almost bluegrass with Banjos), 'Florida Key' (Goldsmith), 'Lost On The River#12 (Costello), 'Stranger' (Mumford), 'Diamond Ring' (Goldsmith), 'The Whistle Is Blowing' (Mumford-which reminds me of something with a lyric like 'I'll be true to you in my way'), the amalgam 'Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street) [Costello with tempo changes]. Not so keen on the second version of 'Lost On The River (Giddens & Mumford) or 'Married To MY Hack' (Costello).

It's an interesting project I think. Not gonna be in regular rotation for me, but nice to imagine what Dylan would or could have done with these songs.

Here's 'Liberty Street':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lnSzDr83U

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Gonna need advice for Monday.

The obvious choice is The 3rd Three Years, but that's not technically 'new' material. My daughter would insist on Olly Murs, which is no doubt decent 'pop' music, but not very rock n roll & that leaves what?

I've been through 8 pages on Amazon's new releases & not found much to go for..............

Bossman

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Bossman66 wrote:Gonna need advice for Monday.

The obvious choice is The 3rd Three Years, but that's not technically 'new' material. My daughter would insist on Olly Murs, which is no doubt decent 'pop' music, but not very rock n roll & that leaves what?

I've been through 8 pages on Amazon's new releases & not found much to go for..............

Bossman

http://www.xtramilerecordings.com/Shop/ ... XMR_RE_177
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:03 pm

I'd say this - http://addistock.bigcartel.com/product/ ... ld-friends
Have a listen and see what you think.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

h26

Post by h26 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Evan wrote:
Bossman66 wrote:Gonna need advice for Monday.

Bossman

http://www.xtramilerecordings.com/Shop/ ... XMR_RE_177
this!

i was just about to post the suggestion myself but you've beaten me to it :lol:
Shows? nowhere near enough of 'em!

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:51 pm

I'll third that. After seeing the album played in full last night, I can confirm that all the songs on it are fab.

Evan

Post by Evan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:57 am

Blonde wrote:I'll third that. After seeing the album played in full last night, I can confirm that all the songs on it are fab.

It really is excellent.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:00 pm

The physical cd appears to be released 8th Dec:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderful-Chris ... tmas+carol???

Remind me then please.

Still leaves me in difficulty on 24th November
Bossman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Bossman66 wrote:The physical cd appears to be released 8th Dec:

Remind me then please.

Bossman
"‘It’s a Wonderful Christmas Carol’ will be available from 24th November 2014 on CD, download and limited edition red vinyl. - See more at: http://www.xtramilerecordings.com/Shop/ ... goiPZ.dpuf "

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:47 pm

This week, November 28th, Tim Barry's new album, Lost & Rootless, is being released, but I got an advance copy at FEST and have given it quite a listen. If you like Tim Barry, you will love it. He states it was "recorded in the shed then moved to recording studio," and it has that casual sound and simplicity to it. Tim's voice and guitar are the stars. But it is very "Americana", so unless you like Tim Barry and/or that genre, I would listen to it first.
shows? 90 so far...

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Blonde wrote:
Bossman66 wrote:The physical cd appears to be released 8th Dec:

Remind me then please.

Bossman
"‘It’s a Wonderful Christmas Carol’ will be available from 24th November 2014 on CD, download and limited edition red vinyl. - See more at: http://www.xtramilerecordings.com/Shop/ ... goiPZ.dpuf "
Didn't have it in HMV today in Exeter, so I'll watch for it on 8th.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Last week I bought 'Listen' by 'David Guetta' because HMV didn't have the new 'Dualers' cd and in a word, it's ..................'samey'

This is what the youngsters listen to apparently, dancey, beats per minute, drum 'n' bass, electrnica etc.

My understanding is that he's a superstar DJ (please feel free to correct any errors cos I'm on unfamiliar ground here) and I'm sure this is stuffed full of potential hit singles (as I believe his previous efforts were).

What you get is basically a selection of 'dance' records featuring guest artists, the most recognizable (to me at least) being Emeli Sande, The Script, John Legend, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Nicki MInaj (who I don't care for at all) & others less well known to me such as Sam Martin and Sia (both of whom are on 2 tracks) as well as several others.

If you like club music (where this stuff would no doubt be best appreciated), with plenty of bass and beats, I'm sure you'll like this.

My taste does just extend to some of this type of stuff, but it's very repetitive listening at home, so not much of a track by track review to follow.

The tracks I like best then are the opener 'Dangerous' (feat Sam Martin), 'What I Did For Love (with Emeli Sande), the title track 'Listen' featuring John Legend, 'Goodbye Friend' (feat The Script), S.T.O.P (feat Ryan Tedder - he may be from One Direction?) & the closing 'The Whisperer' (feat Sia) which is the only attempt at a ballad here.

The rest are all pretty interchangeable & whilst I don't mind them, I also can't say I love them. 2 tracks are credited to 'David Guetta & Showtek', 'No Money No Love' and 'Sun Goes Down'. they feature Elliphant & Ms Dynamite & Magic! & Sonny Wilson respectively & both have parts at least with a touch of reggae influence before the bass takes over on the chorus's.

Here's a couple of decent (ish) ones, 'Dangerous' & 'Listen'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigOJ047ZX0

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaTYiOGtgg

Bossman