A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Bossman66

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:50 am

Surely the point is if all big artists start giving it away (or their record co, outside parties like 'Apple'), it'll make it a lot harder for new bands to get into the marketplace, let alone compete with freebies, lol.

Anyway, it's open for debate. a Separate thread would be better though.

This one's for my reviews. I love this week's choice as you're all about to see if you're following this

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:51 am

This week I bought 'Rose Ave', by 'You & Me' and in a word it's...................fragile.

My review is early again this week, because I'm preparing for the Great West Run this Sunday (my first ever half marathon). I can be sponsored here incidentally:
http://email.virginmoneygiving.com/re?l ... BFAOPLIBGH

To think I almost bought something I got for free (U2) or an x-factor loser (Ella Henderson) & even considered Jessie J before stumbling on this gem.

You & Me are Alecia Moore (aka Pink!) and Dallas Green of 'City and Colour' & 'Alexisonfire' fame (although I admit I had to look that up). I think they met up to write a tune or 2 & ended up writing 8 in a weekend session. It feels like old friends with nothing to prove & out to enjoy themselves. Like they did it for their enjoyment more than the audience safe in the knowledge they have their own successes already.

Here we have a bit of a left turn by both artists and the resultant album is made up of 10 (9 original compositions by the duo & 1 great cover of Sade's 'No Ordinary Love') simplistic, minimal sounding Love Songs that is simply gorgeous.

My friend Helen said this may take home a load of Grammies, on the basis these leftfield collaborations often do. I feel a few wouldn't be unjustified in this case as it's really tugged at me this week.

So what you get is 10 stripped back folky/countryish tunes where there either isn't an obvious standout or they all are, with mostly 2 or 3 instruments involved, which allow the voices their space & give room for the lyrics (songs of love & heartbreak) to hit home.

It opens with 'Capsized' built upon a repeated drum (loop) pattern with pedal steel guitar. Unsure whether this is a break-up song or a 'we're overboard in love' song but it's a really strong opener in my opinion

Next up is the gorgeous 'From a Closet In Norway (Oslo Blues), which highlights their voices to the background of acoustic guitar. Killer lyric - 'It seems the dying are the only ones that really know how to live'! Pink's voice is great, she's delivered great vocals on some of her own suff, but here it's apparent throughout.

Track 3 is the appropriately named 'Gently' with more simple acoustic guitar backing. Try 'If time is life's great healer, it's a bandit in disguise, stealing all your memories as each year passes by'.

'Love Gone Wrong' is next, with heartbreaking 'break-up' lyrics and some more instruments, piano and percussion. Seems that this time the relationship is really over. Dallas's vocals are great this time. This one does build into a bigger finish too.

If that was the biggest 'break-up' tune here, it's immediately followed by the nearest challenger I've heard to John Legend's 'All Of Me' for the love song of the year. There are so many moving lyrics here I could almost quote the whole song, but try 'You and me we've got two minds that think as one, and our hearts march to the same beat' or 'someone who wil be there for you when you fall apart, guiding your direction when you're riding through the dark'. Moving gorgeous stuff with an almost Springsteen'ish' 'I'm On Fire' train feel in the background

'Unbeliever' has a real country feel with a lovely 'I'll Keep Hanging On' chorus

'Second Guess' is another sad song, after a break-up' I think. Try 'I wish I could rewrite, the stories of the past, but you can't go back, and change what's done'. The past lingers though and you carry it with you summed up in the last line 'back & forth it seems we'll remain until the end'.

'Break The Cycle' has a bigger feel with strings and piano backing. This seems like someone fixing the pain of a broken relationship or perhaps a pair in a broken relationship changing & fixing it. The chorus 'Tell me the words you long to hear, and I'll sing them loud & clear' stands out as does 'love is louder than all your pain'

The penultimate 'Open Door' is another gently building acoustic folky type song with pedal steel guitar backing. There's a bit of child with mother & father relationship in this one as the narrator hopes there will always be an 'open door'.

Then it closes with the Sade cover 'No Ordinary Love. Dallas takes most of the vocal in this stunning piano led version which blows the original out of the water for me and which closes an album that has become my friend this week.

A great mix of fragility & strength. I'm sure this will linger & could well loom large on my albums of the year list, from a week when I didn't know what to pick! Could become my 'Southeastern' of 2014 at this rate!

Not sure which one to give you this week, so what the hell, have a listen to the full thing, then go & get yourself a copy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neYjOgbB894

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Shoes4Brakes album is officially released next Monday, well worth a listen if you like acoustic, pop driven songs.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Rubber_Soul wrote:Shoes4Brakes album is officially released next Monday, well worth a listen if you like acoustic, pop driven songs.
Thanks, will consider it. Tough competition from Neil Dimond who has been on fine form on recent albums.....
Bossman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:21 am

Bossman66 wrote:Surely the point is if all big artists start giving it away (or their record co, outside parties like 'Apple'), it'll make it a lot harder for new bands to get into the marketplace, let alone compete with freebies, lol
You say this and then only go and buy albums which are available in a record shop (hmv I'm guessing) and then only albums that are available nationwide. If you really did want to discover something new then why not buy some local releases or do a bit more research and order an album online that you can't just walk into HMV and buy? You're less likely to have weeks where you are restricted for choice.

Evan

Post by Evan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Half Man Half Biscuit, Baxter Dury and the Melvins have all released excellent albums today.

Slipknot, on the other hand, have unleashed a steaming turd.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Blonde wrote:
Bossman66 wrote:Surely the point is if all big artists start giving it away (or their record co, outside parties like 'Apple'), it'll make it a lot harder for new bands to get into the marketplace, let alone compete with freebies, lol
You say this and then only go and buy albums which are available in a record shop (hmv I'm guessing) and then only albums that are available nationwide. If you really did want to discover something new then why not buy some local releases or do a bit more research and order an album online that you can't just walk into HMV and buy? You're less likely to have weeks where you are restricted for choice.

Thanks for your thoughts. Out of interest, I went back to the last list I posted. Over 20 artists that I've never bought before!

I've enjoyed the project and will continue to do so until it ends at the end of the year. You obviously won't enjoy a mainstream Neil Diamond album this week, lol. Each to their own.

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 pm

This week I bought 'Melody Road' by Neil Diamond & in a word it's.................'patchy'.......for me at least.

I've written this review out twice & lost it each time so here's a shorter version.

It's an attempt to cover all bases & look back over the career of a musical troubadour by following his career path (his 'Melody Road')

For me it lacks the cohesiveness & conviction of his great work with Rick Rubin. Still though he's working with big names Don was & Jacknife Lee and with Bob Clearmountain on mixing duties, so it's still very professional.

Melody Road is a twee pop ditty

First Time is more upbeat & clearly refers to the beginning of the career being the highlight when it's all firsts, first songs, lyrics, hits, performances etc.

Seongah & Jimmy tells the true story of his brother in law as the 3rd person lyrics describes the love story of a guy from Brooklyn & his Korean immigrant partner. Problem is I don't feel any real affection for the characters.

The next 3 form my favourite section. 'Something Blue' is the upbeat singe similar to recent hits like 'Delirious Love'. I like it. 'Nothing But A Heartache' is more of a slow building ballad with a bit of a country feel. He's in strong voice on this & throughout (& it may be becoming my favourite) & 'In Better Days' is another decent sunny pop song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tXb4KLOxI

My two least favourites follow. The draggy (Ooo) Do I Wanna Be Yours (the longest song & it feels it too) & the more upbeat 'Alone At The Ball' which I don't like much.

Sunny Disposition lives up to it's name. It's one of at least two old songs he says he finally finished. They are both ok, but not the best, perhaps why they weren't finished in their first incarnations.

'Marry Me Now' is sort of a jazzy pop song, with a bit of New Orleans thrown into the mix.

'The Art Of Love' is the other finally completed song. I didn't like it much at first but it's grown on me as it comes to the conclusion that 'The art of love is who you share it with'

Then there's a brief reprise of the chorus of the title track (which presumably is supposed to indicate the passing of the artist away up the road to his next project)

All in all it's solid for me, not awful & not great

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 pm

The updated list of what I've bought each week:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'
03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'
10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'
17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'
24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey
31/03/14 - 'Out Among The Stars' by Johnny Cash, also got 'Education, Education, Education & War' by The Kaiser Chiefs
07/04/14 - 'Tremors' by Sohn
14/04/14 - 'Caustic Love' by Paolo Nutini
21/04/14 - 'The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett' by Eels, also got 'Rented World' by The Menzingers
28/04/14 - 'Indie Cindy' by 'Pixies'
05/05/14 - 'Magic Mountain' by 'Black Stone Cherry'
12/05/14 - 'Turn Blue' by The Black Keys, also got 'Half The City' by 'St Paul & The Broken Bones'
19/05/14 - 'Upside Down Monutain' by Conor Oberst, also got 'Ghost Stories' by 'Coldplay'
26/05/14 - 'Are We There' by Sharon Van Etten, also got 'House Of Jacks' by Blair Dunlop
02/06/14 - 'Disgraceland' by 'The Orwells', also got 'Nights Like This' by Eli 'Paperboy' Reed
09/06/14 - 'Favorite Waitress' by 'The Felice Brothers'
16/06/14 - 'heartsouldblood' by 'Royal Southern Brotherhood'
23/06/14 - 'X' (Multiply) by ED Sheeran
30/06/14 - 'Remedy' by 'Old Crow Medicine Show
07/07/14 - 'Deep River' by Jon Allen
14/07/14 - 'Wild Animals' by 'Trampled By Turtles'
21/07/14 - 'Songs' by John Fullbright
28/07/14 - 'Hypnotic Eye' by Tom Pety & The Heartbreakers
04/08/14 - 'Angus and Julia Stone' by 'Angus & Julia Stone
11/08/14 - 'Get Hurt' by 'The Gaslight Anthem'
18/08/14 - 'Alias' by 'The Magic Numbers'
25/08/14 - 'Royal Blood' by 'Royal Blood'
01/09/14 - 'The Day's End' by 'Lonely The Brave'
08/09/14 - 'A New House' by 'Deacon Blue'
15/09/14 - 'Bulletproof Picasso' by 'Train'
22/09/14 - 'Popular Problems' by 'Leonard Cohen'
29/09/14 - 'The Weird & Wonderful Marmozets' by 'The Marmozets'
06/10/14 - 'Standing In The Breach' by 'Jackson Browne'
13/10/14 - 'Rose Ave' by 'You & Me'
20/10/14 - 'Melody Road' by 'Neil Diamond'

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 pm

This week I bought 'Honor Is All We Know' by 'Rancid' & much to my surprise I quite like it...............

The week's big seller was always gonna be Taylor Swift & I bought this on the advice of 'Captain Gas' from 'btx'

I have to say that although I knew the name 'Rancid' I couldn't name one of their previous songs & they've been going since 1991.

You're not getting a song by song review, but an overview with a few individual comments.

So you get 14 songs in just under 33 minutes. They are short sharp energetic 'punk' rock songs with wailing guitars & shouted lead vocals often with shouted back repeated backing vocals. This means it's easy to imagine a beer fueled crowd hurling the chorus repeats back at the band in a live setting.

The nearest I've bought to it this year was probably 'Against Me', but I could also suggest similar sounds from early Green Day or The Clash maybe & take away the Celtic influence & it would be easy to compare to the 'Dropkick Murphys' or 'Flogging Molly' both of whom I like.

My favourite tracks are 'Back Where I Belong', with it's simple 'I'm Back, I'm Back, I'm Back Where I Belong' singalong chorus (indicative of the whole album) - this one also has a slowed down section before the chorus to end repeat which is akin to Bruce's 'No Surrender' live version, 'Collision Course' which seems to be a muse on Punk history, 'Evil's My Friend' & Everybody's Suffering' both of which exhibit a touch of a ska influence too (the latter has echos of Harry J's All Stars' 'The Liquidator' in the organ part to these ears!), the title track & maybe my overall favourites 'Face Up' & 'Malfunction' - the latter reminds me of something, particularly the intro, The Who? or the Kinks? Someone help me with that cos it's bugging me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzQiIPVLms

I also like 'Raise Your Fist' & 'In The Street & 'Grave Digger' & I can't say I hate any of the others either, although I don't like them as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3_5kNYaE4g

Bossman

Daire

Post by Daire » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 pm

If you enjoyed the new album and have never listened to Rancid before, you've got to get the '...and out come the wolves' album. It's absolutely fantastic.
insist on the impossible.

DTM11

Post by DTM11 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:54 pm

The new Xcerts album is out today if you fancy that. I've had a quick listen and really like it and it's getting decent reviews
1383, 1419, 1423, 1523, 1622, 1631, 1789, 1982, 1991, 1994, 2000, 2066, 2130

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Tim Barry's album is being released November 28th, but I got an advance copy at FEST (he had both cd and vinyl). And it was perfect Tim Barry. He states it was "recorded in the shed then moved to recording studio," and it has that casual sound to it. Tim's voice and guitar are the stars. Half of the tracks brought tears to my eyes. He played track 4 "Older and Poorer" live, and by the end of the song, everyone was singing the chorus. If you like Tim Barry, you will love it.
shows? 70 so far

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:08 pm

This week I bought 'Indian Ocean' by 'Frazey Ford' & in a phrase it's.............'soulful & chilled'

Got this on the recommendation on 'Hello Newman' on ' Greasy Lake' Springsteen fan forum who suggested it was in contention for his album of the year. I don't rate it quite that highly, but I've enjoyed repeated listens all week.

Hard to pin down on genre, pop, soul, folk-pop, not sure which, or comparitors (I came up with 'Alabama Shakes', Aimee Mann', Diane Birch' (who I like a lot) as possiblities, but it's quite individual.

The opener 'September Fields' is the single (& repeated in acoustic form after the closing title track) & is great.

There's a real southern 'Memphis' sound throughout with players that played with Al Green, and with horns and keyboards (plenty of organ) throughout.

My other favourites are 'Runnin', 'Done', 'Natural Law', the title track 'Indian Ocean' & 'You're Not Free'

If you like these two, you'd probably enjoy it..............

'September Fields'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZFgKbkrmIY

and the title track 'Indian Ocean'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEQ1yt5CBU

Bossman

sdgh165

Post by sdgh165 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:00 am

i have seen these viedo,so nicecoque galaxy s5 chargeur samsung galaxy s5 :D