A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

marowak

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by marowak » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:30 pm

You have to go back and buy the first two albums. Both are also brilliant.
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:36 pm

marowak wrote:You have to go back and buy the first two albums. Both are also brilliant.

This is true
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Evan wrote:
marowak wrote:You have to go back and buy the first two albums. Both are also brilliant.

This is true
I'd also say go back further and get the Dawn Chorus albums too, the third one is a free download on bandcamp I believe unless they have taken it down.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:44 am

blastman wrote:You've sold me, just ordered it.
Does that qualify me for royalties I wonder?
Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

marowak

Post by marowak » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Bossman66 wrote:
Bossman
Or commission?

Sorry to be pedantic.
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:26 pm

marowak wrote:
Bossman66 wrote:
Bossman
Or commission?

Sorry to be pedantic.
Fair point!

Now can anyone tell me if there even is a 'new' release, as such tomorrow. I can only see reissues, vinyl releases etc on Amazon.

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

xandmatt

Post by xandmatt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Rubber_Soul wrote:
Evan wrote:

This is true
I'd also say go back further and get the Dawn Chorus albums too, the third one is a free download on bandcamp I believe unless they have taken it down.
"The Big Adventure" is an amazing album.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Last week I got 'Black Messiah' by D'Angelo and in a word it's................soulful

I'm very unaware of D'Angelo & indeed I believe this is a release that's been awaited for 14 years since his critically acclaimed 'Voodoo' album.

So I have to be honest & say hip hop/rap is not really my thing although I love lots of Kanye West, & like some Jay-Z & some Eminem, but I'm not familiar with this guy.

There are a whole range of styles over these 12 tracks including Rap, Soul, Jazz etc.

There's a lot of bass and drum sounds throughout, but yet there is something a little mesmerizing to this, a bit like one of those films where you keep watching expecting something momentous to happen.

I don't feel knowledgable enough to give a track by track rundown on this.

I will say I dislike track 2 1000 Deaths, the drum and percussion ending being the highlight. I like track 1 'Ain't That Easy' & track 3 'The Charade' reminds me of less popular Prince in sound & vocal style. Sugah Daddy sounds a bit scat, a bit jazz and again Princelike to me at least. Really Love borrows from Curtis Mayfield's 'We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue' - I can't say how much because I know not the original but parts of this almost sound Spanish or flamenco in the introduction at least. This may be my favourite, certainly of Side 1 (as the cover breaks it down to 2 sides like an old lp).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVsQwJfWzoI

'Side 2' then kicks off with 'Back To The Future (Part 1)' which is bassy. 'Till It's Done (Tutu)' is a modern soul song, again like a Prince ballad to these ears, a grower. Likewise 'Prayer' which I quite like. There are echoes of heavier Marvin Gaye here to me too. 'Betray MY Heart' is more upbeat & more of a jazz vibe again. The Door was not my thing & Then Back To The Future (Part II), heavy on the basslines, but attention holding, then it closes out with 'Another Life' which is my favourite on 'Side 2' I think reminding me of parts of the 'Midnight Love' album from Marvin Gaye.

Listening individually doesn't seem to work for me at least, but it's an album where the sum of it's parts is more impressive than the separate parts. It sounds like a whole piece of work.

I can't see when I'd play it sadly & I think my review is poor and reflects the lack of attention I've given it with Christmas intruding on listening opportunities.

I notice it's had extremely good reviews & been quite acclaimed. I might come back to this one next year..............

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:34 pm

This week I bought 'Take Pride In Your Long Odds' by Centro-Matic because as far as I could see there was not a brand 'new' release & this was one I almost plumped for earlier in the year. It is one that has interested me for a while since I listened to the clips on iTunes at the time of it's release, however I found it a bit of a let-down, maybe due to the anticipation building up.

It kicks off with the instrumental title track which is very bangy, drums and percussion building throughout & does give the impression something auspicious is about to begin.

The next song 'Every Mission' seems to be the best seller on iTunes so presumably the single. It kicks on from the first tune, picking up the pace a bit. It's all a hybrid of 'Rock' & 'Americana' I think anyway. His voice sounds a bit like the guy from Richmond Fontaine with bits of Arcade Fire thrown in to me.

The most upbeat song so far, 'Salty Disciple' is next, the 'It's Alright' part reminds me of a 'Stereophonics' single.

Songs 4 through to 10 all clock in at less than 3 minutes each!

Cross Path treads a similar path to 'very Mission'. It's all ok but not very memorable to me.

'Anything Torn Out' is a bit more of a power ballad I guess swiftly followed by the more souped up 'Academy Of Lunkers' & the similar 'Calling You Glad'

I quite like 'Cynthia Glass' which has a bass line to it, although I'm not sure what it all means. 'Hey There' Straps' is a nice almost acoustic ballad and is followed by a return to the guitar led sounds with 'Relative Unto The Aces'

I like 'On The Ride Back' more which starts off upbeat, then breaks down into a slower section before picking up again, although I don't like the ending of it much, it's the longest song too clocking in at almost 5 & a half minutes.

I like the final track 'Through The Fog, Then Down' even more with it's feedback guitar sounds. This is a decent album, just not great.

Here's 'Salty Disciple' which is fairly typical of the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYrdgTfo4I

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 am

This week I bought 'Talking Dreams' by 'Echosmith' & in a word it's......................decent

They are a young (age range 15-21) band of siblings from LA, sister (vocalist) Sydney & 3 brothers who play & write their own Indie Rock songs.

They cite bands like U2, Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac & Echo & The Bunnymen as influences but the sounds I hear in the album are more 'Imagine Dragons' The Corrs (possibly) & Taylor Swift (every time I hear the single 'Cool Kids' I am reminded of her voice).

I have to say that there's not that much variation within this album. It's more pop/rock to my ears. They find a beat & rhythm & stick with it pretty much throughout so if you've heard & enjoy 'Cool Kids' you'll probably feel the same about most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCzDykng4g

So it starts off with 3 upbeat poppy rock songs 'Come Together', 'Let's Love' & the single 'Cool Kids'. They are fairly innocent teenage relationship/love songs with Cool Kids being more of a 'want to fit in with the crowd' type message I guess.

'March Into The Sun' (which I like) has a little more tempo change to it with a slower section before the pop beats kick in. Come with me is a moreof a syncopated drum led song.

'Bright' is a bit different, less instruments make it sound more folky, more acoustic. It's another which sounds like lighter Taylor Swift to me, but a potential single in my view.

Title track 'Talking Dreams' is next up, about making the most of life, grabbing it & running with it.

'Tell Her You Love Her' is another upbeat pop song & 'Ran Off Into The Night' is a bit more guitar led the instrumental part being a bit like 'The War On Drugs' or 'Kings Of Leon' maybe.

'Nothing's Wrong' has a little 'Vampire Weekend' (in the verse), a little 'Imagine Dragons' (in the chorus) in it's feel to me.

'Safest Place' seems to be more of an anti love song, saying you're safer away from me, but still set to the same musical feel.

Finally 'Surround You' is an attempt at a slow building ballad to finish with, to try and have more gravitas. I suppose it just about pulls off being a little different to the rest of the album.

Overall I reckon Echosmith could go either way, develop into a full career, or just as easily fall off the radar. Maybe they'll make it as they have the ability to play their own stuff, write their own tunes and Sydney had a good solid voice for a young'un. As with a lot of younger bands it'll be making that move from a teenybopper audience to an older one that determines their longevity ultimately.

For now though, this is a decent enough beginning and I was pleased to be able to end my 'cd a week' project with a proper 'new release'

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:54 am

The final list of what I've bought each week in 2014:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen My Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'
03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'
10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'
17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'
24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey
31/03/14 - 'Out Among The Stars' by Johnny Cash, also got 'Education, Education, Education & War' by The Kaiser Chiefs
07/04/14 - 'Tremors' by Sohn
14/04/14 - 'Caustic Love' by Paolo Nutini
21/04/14 - 'The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett' by Eels, also got 'Rented World' by The Menzingers
28/04/14 - 'Indie Cindy' by 'Pixies'
05/05/14 - 'Magic Mountain' by 'Black Stone Cherry'
12/05/14 - 'Turn Blue' by The Black Keys, also got 'Half The City' by 'St Paul & The Broken Bones'
19/05/14 - 'Upside Down Monutain' by Conor Oberst, also got 'Ghost Stories' by 'Coldplay'
26/05/14 - 'Are We There' by Sharon Van Etten, also got 'House Of Jacks' by Blair Dunlop
02/06/14 - 'Disgraceland' by 'The Orwells', also got 'Nights Like This' by Eli 'Paperboy' Reed
09/06/14 - 'Favorite Waitress' by 'The Felice Brothers'
16/06/14 - 'heartsouldblood' by 'Royal Southern Brotherhood'
23/06/14 - 'X' (Multiply) by Ed Sheeran
30/06/14 - 'Remedy' by 'Old Crow Medicine Show
07/07/14 - 'Deep River' by Jon Allen
14/07/14 - 'Wild Animals' by 'Trampled By Turtles'
21/07/14 - 'Songs' by John Fullbright
28/07/14 - 'Hypnotic Eye' by Tom Pety & The Heartbreakers
04/08/14 - 'Angus and Julia Stone' by 'Angus & Julia Stone
11/08/14 - 'Get Hurt' by 'The Gaslight Anthem'
18/08/14 - 'Alias' by 'The Magic Numbers'
25/08/14 - 'Royal Blood' by 'Royal Blood'
01/09/14 - 'The Day's End' by 'Lonely The Brave'
08/09/14 - 'A New House' by 'Deacon Blue'
15/09/14 - 'Bulletproof Picasso' by 'Train'
22/09/14 - 'Popular Problems' by 'Leonard Cohen'
29/09/14 - 'The Weird & Wonderful Marmozets' by 'The Marmozets'
06/10/14 - 'Standing In The Breach' by 'Jackson Browne'
13/10/14 - 'Rose Ave' by 'You & Me'
20/10/14 - 'Melody Road' by 'Neil Diamond'
27/10/14 - 'Honor Is Al We Know' by 'Rancid'
03/11/14 - 'Indian Ocean' by 'Frazey Ford'
10/11/14 - 'Sonic Highways' by 'Foo Fighters'
17/11/14 - 'Lost On The River' by 'The New Basement Tapes'
24/11/14 - 'Listen' by 'David Guetta'
01/12/14 - 'Rock Or Bust' by AC/DC
08/12/14 - 'It's A Wonderful Christmas Carol' by 'The Retrospective Soundtrack Players'
15/12/14 - 'Black Messiah' by D'Angelo
22/12/14 - 'Take Pride In Your Long Odds' by 'Centro-Matic'
29/12/14 - 'Talking Dreams' by 'Echosmith'

Bossman

born2run2

Post by born2run2 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:11 am

great stuff Bossmann. Thanks for this and your recommendations. I discovered some great music !

What about 2015?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:03 pm

born2run2 wrote:great stuff Bossmann. Thanks for this and your recommendations. I discovered some great music !

What about 2015?
Well my circumstances have changed over the year & I don't think I can realistically repeat the thread.

I was thinking I'd maybe start a thread & buy one I really like each month, but maybe invite contributions from other members of the forum too?

What do you all think & will you play if we do it that way?

Bossman

Peter T.

Post by Peter T. » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:33 pm

If you're looking to "back in time" and obtain some magnificent older, though somewhat obscure stuff, I heartily recommend:

Paul Kelly's "Songs From The South". Imagine a cross between Dylan and Springsteen from down under. He's world-class!

Weddings Parties Anything's "Trophy Night". My all-time favorite Australian band. They rocked with authority and should have been huge.

Tom Robinson Band's "Power In The Darkness". This 1978 release still explodes through my speakers with passionately delivered politics and the coolest guitar riffs.

I imagine that all three discs can be purchased relatively cheaply at Amazon Marketplace. Do yourself a favor and seek these out. You won't regret it.

Peter T.