A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Blonde

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by Blonde » Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 pm

smithyramfan wrote: Dammit I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive!
I've had my copy since March!
Rubber_Soul wrote:How does it compare to the old stuff? I loved the first album but haven't been too keen on the things that followed.
Having only listened to previous Ducking Punches stuff once, I actually can't answer this question as it was a while ago.

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Wed May 28, 2014 9:14 am

I'll give it a spotify and have a listen.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:19 pm

This week I bought ‘Are We There’ by Sharon Van Etten……………………………..and if you really listen to it, it’s a very strong collection

I know very little about this girl other than she’s from New Jersey (which is always promising for a Springsteen fan), & this is her third album.

It appears to go into detail about a crumbling relationship, the clues being in titles such as ‘Your Love Is killing Me’, ‘Break Me’ & ‘I Love You But I’m Lost’.

It has strong melodies & lush production throughout & sounds like the work of an artist who is confident & clearly in charge of the finished album.

My favourite tracks are the opener ‘Afraid Of Nothing’, ‘Our Love’:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIEEQXrNkNo

& ‘Every Time The Sun Comes Up’ which I think is a great song to end on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDW-W2J84Hc

I shall need to give this further listens, having been away this week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also bought a more folky/acoustic album by a British artist ‘Blair Dunlop’ called ‘House Of Jacks’

This too is a really good listen, although very different than the American’s album. This review is pretty accurate in my opinion from ‘The Guardian’:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/m ... cks-review

Here’s The opener:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K18Ty_y-IlM

My Favourite tracks on this one were the opening 5, ‘Something’s Gonna Give Way’, 45’s (c.’69), Fifty Shades Of Blue, the title track & ‘Chain By Design’ & 45’s (c.’14), Song Of Two Bridges, & ‘The Station’

If you like any British folk, such as 'Show Of Hands' it's worth a listen I reckon..............................

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:10 pm

This week I bought 'Disgraceland' by The Orwells..................and it's a rocker!

The Orwells are a young punk/rock/pop band from Elmhurst, Illinois & this is their second album. The sticker on the front proclaims 11 ear-splitting Teenage Anthems.........I think it's a bit better than that, 11 rocking tracks with some nice hooks, and better than most teenagers I know would be aware of.

They remind me of 'The Strokes' most maybe & I think they have potential.

Starts with the great guitar hook laden opener 'Southern Comfort' (which includes the great line, 'Give a smile and then take off your pants' followed by 2 more rockers 'The Righteous One' & 'Dirty Sheets' before my favourite so far 'Bathroom Tile Blues' which isn't really blues, but which I like a lot. It reminds me of something, link below, any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBmWV84muVI

'Gotta Get Down' plods along a little in comparison and is more downbeat in lyrics such as 'I'm starting to feel down, Come See me in a bit, My Daddy's got a twelve gauge, I hope I don't find it'. Nice guitar work as there is throughout the album

'Let It Burn' seems to consider a new love, 'My stomach was turned, Is It love, Is it lust?' for example, drumming more noticeable on this one as it is on the next one 'Who Needs You' too, which sounds a it like early 'The Strokes' to me.

'Norman' is the longest track, the title character is not mentioned by name in the lyric but seems to be some sort of killer or reaper, more nice guitar licks.

The next song is called 'Always N Forever' which may be ironic as it seems a very new relationship being sung about. 'Blood Bubbles' is a little slower but by no means a ballad, then the closer 'North Ave,' is another I like a lot, a bit more of a pop hook.

I really like this album & will watch their progress.

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:20 pm

The updated list of what I've bought each week:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'
03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'
10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'
17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'
24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey
31/03/14 - 'Out Among The Stars' by Johnny Cash, also got 'Education, Education, Education & War' by The Kaiser Chiefs
07/04/14 - 'Tremors' by Sohn
14/04/14 - 'Caustic Love' by Paolo Nutini
21/04/14 - 'The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett' by Eels, also got 'Rented World' by The Menzingers
28/04/14 - 'Indie Cindy' by 'Pixies'
05/05/14 - 'Magic Mountain' by 'Black Stone Cherry'
12/05/14 - 'Turn Blue' by The Black Keys, also got 'Half The City' by 'St Paul & The Broken Bones'
19/05/14 - 'Upside Down Monutain' by Conor Oberst, also got 'Ghost Stories' by 'Coldplay'
26/05/14 - 'Are We There' by Sharon Van Etten, also got 'House Of Jacks' by Blair Dunlop
02/06/14 - 'Disgraceland' by 'The Orwells', also got 'Nights Like This' by Eli 'Paperboy' Reed

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:34 pm

I also got 'Nights Like This' by Eli 'Paperboy' Reed, already having his 2 previous albums.

He's a bit like a modern day 'Jackie Wilson' to my mind. I like a good half of this album which is on a par with the previous ones, tending to prefer the more traditional soul, adult songs and lyrics such as on 'Growin' Up', the title track 'Nights Like This', Lonely World', 'Shock To The System', & 'Two Broken Hearts'.

On this album he definately tends towards the moe throwaway pop which is a bit of a shame for me as I liked his soul voice more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smt_DFY5lsw

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:36 pm

This week I bought 'Favorite Waitress' by The Felice Brothers and I enjoyed it..........

It's a proper Americana/Folk/Country album.

The cover brings to mind 'Breakfast In America; by Supertramp just because of the waitress, the colouring is nothing like it, lol

It's quite similar in places to the recent Conor Oberst album & indeed he's mentioned in the album 'credits'

The only other album of theirs I have is 2008's 'The Felice Brothers' which featured 'Frankie's Gun' & with that one I liked only about half of it although I like the similarities to the sound of Dylan & 'The Band'.

Not gonna go into too much detail other than it starts with a great threesome in the shape of 'Bird On Broken Wing' (which is dedicated to the memory of Pete Seeger), 'Cherry Licorice' & 'Meadow Of A Dream' then I also like the next two 'Lion' & 'Saturday Night'.

Here's 'Cherry Licorice':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b328xL_3U4g

Not so keen on the next couple 'Constituents' which builds over it's 4 minutes but drags too much for me & 'Hawthorne' which is ok but for the 'Baa Baa Blacksheep' reference.

'Katie Cruel' is better with it's tempo changes & then I really like the ballad 'No Trouble'

'Alien' & 'Chinatown' are both quite nice before the more rocky 'Woman Next Door' which I like a lot. Then it ends with the pwerful 'Silver In The Shadow'

All in all A nice album & a good companion to 'Upside Down Mountain' by Conor Oberst

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:04 pm

This week I bought 'heartsoulblood' by Royal Southern Brotherhood....................blues rock fans would probbly enjoy a lot of it!

Think of Bonamassa, Kid Rock even a little Led Zep & you get the gist of this album.

RSB are a New Orleans (I believe) collective, Davon Allman (son of Gregg Allman) & Cyrille Neville (the 4th Neville Brother) and the front line completed by top blues rock guitarist Mike Zito then bassist Charlie Wootton & drummer Yonrico Scott complete the line up.

This is blues rock with elements of funk, blues, hard rock, reggae & even a little jazz I think.

Here's Rock & Roll which claims 'Blues rock is the child of rhthym & blues':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc3TnsuRC2g

Really like the opening tracks 'World Blues', Rock & Roll, & 'Groove On' which supplies the album title in the lyric.

'Here It is' is more soul like, 'Callous' is more of a heavy blues riff, 'Ritual' is more of a 'rocky' blues with ailing guitar, then comes one of my favourites 'Shoulda Known' which is quite soulful with a lilting groove.

'Let's Ride' is back to blues with rock guitar & solo (which sums up the album really), as is 'Trapped', then 'She's My Lady' could be a summer soul, lite jazz effort, almost Rod Temperton like.

'Takes A Village' sounds so familiar I thought it was a cover, the kind of thing I imagine from Donny Hathaway (who I don't really know) or Eddie Hinton (in ballad mode), then it comes to a close with 'Love And Peace' which is funk/reggae like, meanders a bit without really catching light for me anyway.

Overall this is a competently played album. Not sure why I chose it over Lana Del Rey. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Quite a nice one for a summer's drive maybe............which is mostly how I heard it this week.

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:47 am

Anyone any suggestions for this week? Looks like I may have to resort to Ed Sheeran otherwise!
Bossman

marowak

Post by marowak » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:38 pm

06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

Craven

Post by Craven » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 pm

The new Mastodon album came out today, and it is a beast, but seeing as you found some of the albums you've reviewed already as a bit heavy for your liking you might want to stay clear :P
683 727 909 1081 1082 1139 1216 1258 1289 1381 1442 1522 1539 1585 1611 1615 1681 1720 1790 1889 1955

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:55 pm

This week I bought 'X' (pronounced 'Multiply' apparently) by Ed Sheeran....................and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it!

I'd only really heard his previous singles, despite having a copy of the previous album + (Plus???), but this seems a real step forward to me anyway

It starts off as if a continuation of + with two semi acoustic numbers 'One' (which has really grown on me), and 'I'm A Mess'.

Next up is his recent, and first, number one single 'Sing' which is quite funky, dancey & features a rap, followed by the equally funky, soulful 'Don't' (which will surely be a future single) and then 'Nina' featuring the lyric 'And I could Play A Guitar, Just Like Ringing A Bell' - even my daughter could pick up the Chuck Berry reference in there!

I love the more slow building 'Photograph' - 'We Keep This Love In a Photograph, We Made These Memories For Ourselves', then I gets even better with 'Bloodstream' (one of my favourites) - not sure if this is a drug reference song or saying love is in his bloodstream, but another potential single anyway, imo.

'Tenerife Sea' is more acoustic again, but builds with the 'So In Love' chorus refrain.

The pace picks up again with 'Runaway', the standout track I think, more funky soul with a great hook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFaX66sdHwc

'The Man' could be Plan B in my view - enjoyed it a lot, and that's followed by another great song 'Thinking Out Loud' - hit written all over it I reckon, delivery almost sounds like Michael Buble, more of a love soul ballad. Another favourite for me.

Then it ends with the mid tempo 'Afire Love' which is good, almost David Gray like, but not great.

As I said at the beginning, I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this one, only having bought it as I couldn't see anything a bit more alternative this week.

Ed's clearly got the marketting right too. releasing 5 songs on itunes prior to the album release, seems likely to put him all over this week's singles chart as well as having possibly the second best seling first week album sales of the year too. A ploy that I can see other artists imitating in future.

Favourite tracks, 'One', 'Sing', 'Don't', ''Nina', 'Photograph', 'Bloodstream', 'Runaway' & 'Thinking Out Loud'.

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:32 pm

What am I gonna choose tomorrow?

Toss up between 'Bellowhead', 'David Gray' and 'George Ezra' and at the moment, I'm leaning towards Bellowhead.

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:03 pm

This week I bought 'Remedy' by the 'Old Crow Medicine Show' and in a word it's.........................patchy.

It came under 'Folk' in HMV, but it's more Americana, Bluegrass, Country to my ears with some folk elements thrown in.

When it's good, it's really nice, on tracks like 'Brushy Mountain Conjugal Trailer', 'Sweet Amarillo' (see the clip), my two favourites which feature back to back mid album, 'Dearly Departed Friend', & 'Firewater', & also on 'Shit Creek', & 'the closing 'The Warden' which made me think of The Shawshank Redemption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNUCD9US5I

Then sometimes it's a bit rag-tag hoedown such as on '8 Dogs 8 Banjos'.

An interesting selection though & definitely something I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:07 pm

The updated list of what I've bought each week:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'
03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'
10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'
17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'
24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey
31/03/14 - 'Out Among The Stars' by Johnny Cash, also got 'Education, Education, Education & War' by The Kaiser Chiefs
07/04/14 - 'Tremors' by Sohn
14/04/14 - 'Caustic Love' by Paolo Nutini
21/04/14 - 'The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett' by Eels, also got 'Rented World' by The Menzingers
28/04/14 - 'Indie Cindy' by 'Pixies'
05/05/14 - 'Magic Mountain' by 'Black Stone Cherry'
12/05/14 - 'Turn Blue' by The Black Keys, also got 'Half The City' by 'St Paul & The Broken Bones'
19/05/14 - 'Upside Down Monutain' by Conor Oberst, also got 'Ghost Stories' by 'Coldplay'
26/05/14 - 'Are We There' by Sharon Van Etten, also got 'House Of Jacks' by Blair Dunlop
02/06/14 - 'Disgraceland' by 'The Orwells', also got 'Nights Like This' by Eli 'Paperboy' Reed
09/06/14 - 'Favorite Waitress' by 'The Felice Brothers'
16/06/14 - 'heartsouldblood' by 'Royal Southern Brotherhood'
23/06/14 - 'X' (Multiply) by ED Sheeran
30/06/14 - 'Remedy' by 'Old Crow Medicine Show

Bossman