A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

darlenet.

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by darlenet. » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Just bought Frightened Rabbit's Record Store Day release. Of course while in the record store, I had to get Drive-By Truckers new one, English Oceans. And couldn't pass up Townes Van Zandt Live at the Old Quarter. Anybody else have fun on RSD2014?
shows? 90 so far...

tenaciousdazz

Post by tenaciousdazz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:10 am

darlenet. wrote: Anybody else have fun on RSD2014?
As always. Queued from 5.45am, got most of what I wanted except Joy Division and Mudhoney.
24/08/07, 14/09/07, 22/08/08, 10/12/08, 07/06/09, 30/08/09, 17/10/09, 15/03/10, 26/08/10, 03/12/10, 31/12/10, 09/05/11, 07/07/11, 06/08/11, 26/11/11, 07/07/12, 17/08/12, 17/11/12.
Twitter @tenaciousdazz

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:41 pm

suitcaselife wrote:
Bossman66 wrote:
suitcaselife wrote:Whatch out for the new record of The Menzingers (will be published in the end of april) - it's imo ace!

Just seen a similar comment on facebook. Please remind me when it's due out, lol

Little reminder ;)
Thanks, gonna be a toss-up between this & Eels I reckon............
Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:20 pm

This week I bought ‘The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett’ by Eels & it’s pretty good with a few I’m not so keen on too……………………

This is an introspective album where Mr Everett, aka E revisits an old relationship that he appeared to end & maybe have some regrets about so doing.

Rather than a track by track review I’m just gonna say I tend to prefer the more upbeat songs, & to find the slower more mournful songs a little too slow & a tad boring.

The album starts with starts with a nice little introductory instrumental track ‘Where I’m At’ before it begins properly with a really nice tune ‘Parallels’ which sets the tone for the album with it’s chorus:

‘And I know you’re out there somewhere
And I know that you are well
Looking for an answer
But only time can tell
Parallels’

The next track ‘Lockdown Hurricane’ is quite nice, mid tempo & then the first slower song ‘Agatha Chang’ follows where he clearly states his regret at ending that relationship each chorus ending ‘but I should have stayed with Agatha Chang’ (a nice lyric but not sure I love the slow speed of it)

‘A Swallow In The Sun’ is next which is similar in some ways, a lyric that laments a lost love. I prefer the feel of this track though Agatha Chang.

I much prefer the more pacey ‘Where I’m From’ which has the feel of a train beat & again admits he misses the girl (in this case ‘I have to admit ‘Sometimes I Miss Where I’m from’

The next song ‘Series Of Misunderstandings’ was described to me by my wife as ‘like a creepy music box’ (a bit like the beginning of ‘The Nutcracker Suite’). I don’t like the music much & the lyric is basically about a relationship falling apart. My least favourite so far.

‘Kindred Spirit’ is next up & has a much nicer feel. Again it’s a song where he regrets this relationship ending (although one gets the feeling it was HE who ended it) – Try the lyric ‘She’s A Kindred Spirit, She doesn’t Have An Act, She’s Got A Real Big Heart, And I Gotta Win It Back’ or later in the song ‘Everyday I Live In Regret & Pain, You Just Don’t Let That Get Away’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCoxdhZ_-g

‘Gentleman’s Choice’ is next. Too slow for me and the lyric concerns him having reached a low point going as far as ‘I’m Better Off Dead’

This is followed by another dirge ‘Dead Reckoning’ – almost a spoken lyric and sounds like a man who’s given up, which I think was the intention.

The next song, 'Answers' is a little more positive. Again there’s a bit of ‘music box’ about it but it’s a little more like he’s reached the bottom and now has some hope for the future ‘I might make it somehow, the brightest lights might shine ahead, But I thought I’d have some answers by now’

The next song is the first single ‘Mistakes Of My Youth’ & probably my favourite song on the album. It’s more musical, a little faster and he’s basically telling himself he has to stop making the same mistakes, the telling lines perhaps, ‘In the final moments, I hope that I know I tried, to do the best I could’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it8bSb-THFI

The album finishes with the hopeful ballad ‘Where I’m going’ where he admits that he doesn’t know where he’s going but he has a ‘good feeling ‘bout Where I’m Going’. Nice that it ends on a more positive note

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:22 pm

I also bought ‘Rented World’ by The Menzingers this week & I like it more & more with each play

It’s the nearest thing I’ve bought to the ‘Against Me’ cd earlier in this series, punky, punchy rock music

Starts of with 3 straight up rock songs, the single ‘I Don’t Want To Be An Asshole Anymore’, ‘Bad Things’ & ‘Rodent’ before it eases back a little with ‘Where Your Heartache Exists’ which I like a lot which feels like a picture of a troubled relationship where they struggle to live together or apart in equal measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWHnGOVZ3BM

‘My Friend Kyle’ could be early Gaslight Anthem perhaps & that’s followed by the longest track ‘Transient Love’ which builds from a repetitive drum rhythm, guitar joining in before the vocal kicks in over a minute into the song

The Talk is a two minute punk song, depicting ‘good riddance’ after a relationship ends, finishing with ‘I’m Not Like You’, You’ve Got No Heart Of Gold’, We’ll chalk it up to ‘progress’ ‘

‘Nothing Feels Good Anymore’ starts of in ballad territory until the title is repeated 4 times for the chorus. It’s a good one though

‘Hearts Unknown’ is the nearest thing here to a pop song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpGx4H2iWBQ

‘In Remission was a single & is a pretty good rock song, reminds me of some ‘Green Day’ like quite a bit of the album actually, & that’s not a bad thing as far as I’m concerned.

‘Sentimental Physics’ is more rock before the more acoustic slower ‘When You Died’ rounds things off.

I like it more than I did on first listen & am glad I got it

Bossman

placidcasual76

Post by placidcasual76 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:33 pm

darlenet. wrote:Just bought Frightened Rabbit's Record Store Day release. Of course while in the record store, I had to get Drive-By Truckers new one, English Oceans. And couldn't pass up Townes Van Zandt Live at the Old Quarter. Anybody else have fun on RSD2014?
the opening to Live at the Old Quarter might be the best intro ever.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:36 am

So much choice tomorrow:

Imelda May - Tribal
Pixies - Indie City
Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots
Embrace - Embrace
The Delines - Colfax
Eli 'Paperboy' Reed - Nights Like These

I'm favouring the last one as I like a good modern 'soul' record, but far from certain which I'm gonna pick up???????????????????

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Bossman66 wrote:So much choice tomorrow:

Imelda May - Tribal
Pixies - Indie City
Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots
Embrace - Embrace
The Delines - Colfax
Eli 'Paperboy' Reed - Nights Like These

I'm favouring the last one as I like a good modern 'soul' record, but far from certain which I'm gonna pick up???????????????????

Heard the single from The Pixies earlier,I'd go for that one.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:34 pm

This week I bought ‘Indie Cindy’ by The Pixies…………….I can’t say I love it all, but I quite like lots of it………My Dad would hate it I’m pretty sure, lol

So first, I guess I better confess I don’t know very much about the Pixies at all (most of what I’ve written having been researched). I had heard of the albums that I believe they are most recognised for ‘Doolittle’ & ‘Trompe le Monde’ but couldn’t name a ‘hit’ of theirs. I think I probably borrowed their best of some time ago from the library but it doesn’t seem to have made enough impression for me to even copy it.

I’m not really sure what you class them as, Grunge, Rock, Punk or Alternative’? I now know that they formed in 1986, and lasted until around 1993, before reforming (with a changed line-up in) around 2003-2004. I also know some claim their earlier album ‘Surfer Rosa’ supposedly influenced Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’

As for the album itself, it demonstrates a range of styles, crossing the genres I considered above & I hear bits of Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Punk Bands such as Green Day, The Talking Heads & even REM & some Oasis even (in the lighter moments)

The lyrics are included, but their meanings are often not that clear to me, except for the title track, which seems like a guy in love with Indie Cindy, but most certainly not impressed by her father!

The tracks I prefer are ‘Greens & Blues’ (which definitely reminds me of something I can’t put my finger on), ‘Bagboy’ (although I had no idea what a bagboy is [apparently an underappreciated individual who bags groceries at the store], Magdalena 318, Blue Eyed Hexe, which appears to be about a withcraft/the occult temptress type (nice riff but not so keen on the breakdown less tuneful parts), ‘Ring The Bell’ which is the nearest to a pop song here & probably my favourite track. I also like Andro Queen (with it’s reverb & Spanish lyric parts & almost a 90’s feel, a bit like the recent Arcade Fire album even), & the closer Jaime Bravo, which I like a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uqzn5x6dkg

I’m not so keen on the heavier opener ‘What Goes Boom’ (I like the chorus part but not the rest really which sounds like heavier Foos stuff to me) & ‘Silver Snail’, & there are parts of some of the other tracks too that I’m not so keen on, so songs like ‘Indie Cindy’ (where I like the chorus more than the verses & which brings The Talking Heads to my mind), ‘Another Toe In The Ocean’ (which I take to mean taking the plunge or taking a chance, although it may be about no such thing), & ‘Snakes’ I have a bit mixed views on.

Apparently all these songs have already been released on previous EP’s & are now repackaged as this album. I think it would grow on me more with more plays & that’s a good thing. I understand it’s quite tame for them & that’s probably a good thing for this listener too.

My favourite track, ‘Ring The Bell’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMCjAIJuQ9w

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:56 am

This week I bought ‘Magic Mountain’ by Black Stone Cherry & …………………..in a word it’s ‘Big’

Big verses, big chorus’s, big on loud guitar riffs, just BIG and ballsy! It’s loud Southern Rock with some similarities to Nickelback in my opinion, although purists would no doubt say this was more genuine than Nickelback. Overall I like it a lot, after initially not being very sure. I thought this might be their attempt to be a little more mainstream or commercial from the somewhat brighter cover than their usual sepia ones, but to me it’s more of the same, with perhaps a little more consistency thrown in. A nice collection of 4 minute rock songs.

It kicks off with one of the rockier loudest tracks ‘Holding On…To Letting Go’, then the slightly more mid paced ‘Peace Pipe’, before returning to another out & out rocker ’Bad Luck & Hard Love’. Of the 3 I prefer Peace Pipe & least like the heavier opener.

Track 4 is ‘Me & Mary Jane’ which I believe is the single. It’s a heavy riff again but more mid tempo. No idea if Mary Jane is related to Tom Petty’s Mary Jane’s Last Dance – would be a nice link if it was.

Runaway is next & one of my favourite tracks. A little 80’s power ballad in the beginning section maybe, before hitting a more strong middle section (strains of early Bon Jovi too perhaps here). A song about escape in the tradition of rock songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxe3JWHx6M8

Magic Mountain the title track is next followed by Never Surrender, both straight up rockers with plenty of screaming guitars & vocals in the latter in particular & both with big chorus’s. Blow My Mind, another loud rocker, seems to be a call to a lover to have another go or a homage to a hot relationship to me. The solo may be a little wild for me, lol

Sometimes is next where Chris Robertson sounds a little Eddie Vedder like and the song a little like a Pearl Jam ballad as a result, never a bad thing. A call to an ex-lover to come back & try again perhaps.

That is followed by another big rock single Fiesta Del Fuego, in the style of Nickelback & even including a spoken bass vocal similar to their’s in ‘Rock Star’. It’s one of the best tracks though I think, which is followed by the more formularic (imo) ‘Dance Girl’ which is probably one I’m not that keen on.

‘Hollywood In Kentucky’ is a ballad rock song with a hint of Country in it & a bit of a mad guitar rock out finish (which I could’ve done without to be honest). Perhaps they’ve been listening to the Zac Brown Band, lol. I like this one a lot though as a result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_VLnDu9nhs

The last song is ‘Remember Me’. It continues the recent trend of my purchases of The Hold Steady & the Drive-By Truckers of finishing with the longest song as this one extends out to 6 minutes where none of the others get to the 5 minute plus mark. It’s another I like a lot too so this is becoming a trend I like a lot, although the last minute in this one is simply a guitar drone out so it might as well have been a minute shorter.

I’m putting 10 of the 13 tracks onto my iPod (more than I have off their previous albums) which I guess makes it a hit with me & confirms I find it more consistent, although I will be erasing the mad ending of ‘Hollywood in Kentucky’ out I think & fading out the final track early too.

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 am

The updated list of what I've bought each week:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'
03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'
10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'
17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'
24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey
31/03/14 - 'Out Among The Stars' by Johnny Cash, also got 'Education, Education, Education & War' by The Kaiser Chiefs
07/04/14 - 'Tremors' by Sohn
14/04/14 - 'Caustic Love' by Paolo Nutini
21/04/14 - 'The Cautionary Tales Of Mark Oliver Everett' by Eels, also got 'Rented World' by The Menzingers
28/04/14 - 'Indie Cindy' by 'Pixies'
05/05/14 - 'Magic Mountain' by 'Black Stone Cherry'

Bossman

born2run2

Post by born2run2 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:01 am

black keys next?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:50 pm

born2run2 wrote:black keys next?
Yes, but possibly also St Paul & The Broken Boes

Bossman

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat May 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Really, really looking forward to Tim Barry's "Raising Hell & Living Cheap: Live in Richmond." It's unique in that it was a live show recorded unbeknownst to Tim. Also has room mic to capture the crowd's energy. It's available for mail order now. And soon the digital download and LP release.
shows? 90 so far...

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:03 pm

This week I bought ‘Turn Blue’ by The Black Keys’ & in a word it’s quite………………sexy

I’m not sure how best to describe this album except to say that it’s chilled, languid, & a bit sexy

The Black Keys comes from a Blues background & yet have gradually achieved a bigger fan base by stretching out into a more commercial sound with joint producer ‘Danger Mouse’ on board who clearly has an ear for a pop or dance hook, which they’ve added to their armoury over the years.

It opens with the longest track they’ve recorded to date ‘Weight Of Love’ – It’s a slow burner, starting with a 2 minute almost psychedelic ‘Pink Floyd’ like instrumental beginning & building into a sexy opening statement with a ballsy chorus & finishing with a huge guitar solo, leading into a gradual fade out.

Next up is ‘In Time’ which continues the sexiness with layered background vocals and Dan Auebach’s falsetto lead vocals. Stretches out slightly more sprightly than the opener – really nice tune.

Next up is the title track ‘Turn Blue’. Seen it described as a bedtime blues & that’s about right.

‘Fever’, the first single is next & the beattiest track so far with some trademark Danger Mouse ‘beats’ thrown in & a very catchy organ or synth groove. Their last album ‘El Camino’ started with bouncy tracks akin to this one too & whilst this is quite far from their roots, I’m a sucker for a catchy rhythm.

Another great sexy track follows in the shape of ‘Year In Review’. Big on drums from Patrick Carney, and featuring another big guitar solo

‘Bullet In the Brain’ is next with an almost acoustic beginning, again with echoes of Pink Floyd to my ears at least, before it becomes a bit country, a bit bluesy & a bit great.

Possibly me least favourite ‘It’s Up To You Now’ is next up. It’s the most experimental thing on here but I find it a bit directionless, with it’s twists & turns, although I quite like the shouty chorus.

‘Waiting On Words’ is next. I quite like it, but rather like with ‘El Camino’ the earlier part of the album is generally stronger in my opinion. Nice falsetto vocal & gentle guitar opening before the drums build & build as the track develops.

’10 Lovers’ is more immediate I reckon, nice bassline.

Next up is ‘In Our Prime’. This sounds a bit like ‘White Album’ period ‘Beatles’ to me, with it’s changing sections & another big guitar solo fade out later on. Quite like it though.

Then it finishes with my absolute favourite track ‘Gotta Get Away’ – This is a cross between Creedence Clearwater Revival & a great Bar Room thrash out – I love it! See For Yourself.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELFBYSG9tw

Bossman