A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

tenaciousdazz

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by tenaciousdazz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 pm

New Hold Steady album is out tomorrow as well, as is the Roger Daltrey and Wilko Johnson album.
24/08/07, 14/09/07, 22/08/08, 10/12/08, 07/06/09, 30/08/09, 17/10/09, 15/03/10, 26/08/10, 03/12/10, 31/12/10, 09/05/11, 07/07/11, 06/08/11, 26/11/11, 07/07/12, 17/08/12, 17/11/12.
Twitter @tenaciousdazz

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:41 pm

tenaciousdazz wrote:New Hold Steady album is out tomorrow as well, as is the Roger Daltrey and Wilko Johnson album.
Bought both of them as I couldn't decide. Half way through The Hold Steady - much better than their last one so far!

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

placidcasual76

Post by placidcasual76 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Was never a huge huge Hold Steady fan kind of dipped in and out of them for a few years and they never made sense to me.

Really like this LP though.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:21 am

This week I bought ‘Teeth Dreams’ by The Hold Steady. It’s up there with the better cd’s I’ve bought this year………………

It’s the 6th album from The Hold Steady & it’s a return to form after the slightly lacklustre (for me anyway) ‘Heaven Is Whenever’. Punchy rock songs in the main with just a couple of slower tunes mixed in.

It kicks off with the rock songs ‘I Hope This Whole Thing Didn’t Frighten You’ & ‘Spinners’ both of which are among my favourites. I like Spinners a lot including the ambiguity of whether it’s about a girl spinning around dancing or a record spinning on a turntable, or maybe both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvM224AsOc

The Ambassador is an attempt at a power ballad. Not in the same league as one of my favourite THS songs ‘Lord, I’m Discouraged’ but I still like it a lot

Not so keen on ‘Big Cig’ & ‘Almost Everything’, my least favourite tracks after a few listens, but ‘Wait Awhile’ is great, advising a girl not to ‘put out’ so readily. Here’s a snippet:

I'm sure they'll come up in the parking lots and at parties.
You know you don't have to accept.
Collecting boyfriends isn't such a healthy hobby.
I'm sorry, but there's other words than yes.

Once they hear you've got a broken heart
They're going to come around and try to make you smile.
Little girl you're going to rush right in.
Why don't you wait a while?
Why don't you wait a while?

Oaks is a great last song in my opinion, slowly building to a crescendo before gradually fading out over it’s 9 minutes’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZG3jTWlIOs

I like that it comes so soon after ‘Grand Canynon’ by the Drive BY Truckers too, another great closing track. My top 10 of the year is filling quicker than I expected, or some are gonna get relegated as the year progresses.

Bossman

So what about next week:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=br_nf_2_m ... 7NZ4DAZZG0

Johnny Cash 'Out Among The Stars' or something else?
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:26 am

The updated list of what I've bought each week:

30/12/13 - 'Seasons In The Abyss' by Slayer (Re-Issue)
06/01/14 - 'Wig Out At Jagbags' by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, also got 'Naming The Darkness' by Gray & Wyatt
13/01/14 - 'High Hopes' by Bruce Springsteen, also got 'Has God Seen MY Shadow (Anthology)' by Mark Lanegan
20/01/14 - 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by Against Me
27/01/14 - 'No Depression' (Re-Issue) by Uncle Tupelo
03/02/14 - 'Augustines' by Augustines
10/02/14 - 'The River & The Thread' by Rosanne Cash
17/02/14 - The Whippoorwill' by Blackberry Smoke
24/02/14 - 'Bad Self Portraits' by 'Lake Street Dive, also got 'Manhattan' by 'Skaters'
03/03/14 - 'English Oceans' by 'Drive-By Truckers'
10/03/14 - 'The Take Off & Landing Of Everything' by 'Elbow'
17/03/14 - 'Oh, What A Life ' by 'American Authors'
24/03/14 - 'Teeth Dreams' by 'The Hold Steady, also got 'Going Back Home' by Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey

smithyramfan

Post by smithyramfan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Its been mentioned already by someone else but I'd heavily recommend Band of Skulls for next week
crap at dancing and can't hold my drink...
Shows: Lincoln 24/11/12, Nottingham 09/02/14, Y Not Festival 03/08/14

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:01 am

smithyramfan wrote:Its been mentioned already by someone else but I'd heavily recommend Band of Skulls for next week
Is that from personal opinion or having regard to my reviews so far?

I just listened to some clips of them from the itunes store and my initial reaction is they sound a bit 'heavy' for my taste

Bossman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:18 pm

If Band Of Skulls are too heavy for you, how about the new album from Kaiser Chiefs - Education, Education, Education and War? That's out on Monday too.

smithyramfan

Post by smithyramfan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Bossman66 wrote:
smithyramfan wrote:Its been mentioned already by someone else but I'd heavily recommend Band of Skulls for next week
Is that from personal opinion or having regard to my reviews so far?

I just listened to some clips of them from the itunes store and my initial reaction is they sound a bit 'heavy' for my taste

Bossman
Just a personal opinion there.

As Blonde said though the new Kaiser Chief album might be a safer bet. Some of their new stuff is annoyingly catchy
crap at dancing and can't hold my drink...
Shows: Lincoln 24/11/12, Nottingham 09/02/14, Y Not Festival 03/08/14

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Bossman66 wrote:
h26 wrote:chuck ragan till midnight

out tomorrow
I really reckon I should like Chuck, but I've found his voice a little too gruff for me in the past. i do like some of it though. Maybe need to see him in concert to really get it.

Bossman
Someone once described his voice as a guy who swallowed pinecones. This album I love. (It's been streaming around lately before the release, you might find it). His "new" backing band the Camaraderie have added diversity.. He is someone that is amazing live- energetic, passionate. He is going to be touring in the UK at the end of May and end of June. You should do it. (I will say I am totally biased since his band Hot Water Music is from my hometown, and Chuck Ragan is arguably the nicest human being on the planet).

I love this thread. I have purchased music I never would have thought of. Thanks, wise people.

Darlene
shows? 90 so far...

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:49 am

Blonde wrote:If Band Of Skulls are too heavy for you, how about the new album from Kaiser Chiefs - Education, Education, Education and War? That's out on Monday too.
They were another I was considering. My problem with the Kaisers is I've got them all, or at least copies since their huge seller and they've not lived up to that terrific album since.

I have to say I'm nervous about Johnny Cash too though - a set of songs the record company didn't deem fit to release and after the simply brilliant 'American' series too.

Bossman

NikkiS

Post by NikkiS » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 am

Saw Band of Skulls at Rock City last night. Love 'em. Russell Marsden + guitar = pure genius.

suitcaselife

Post by suitcaselife » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Whatch out for the new record of The Menzingers (will be published in the end of april) - it's imo ace!
95 gigs in 21 countries...
moving, keep moving - the tour never stops.

Twitter/Instagram: @MySuitcaseLife

dutton316

Post by dutton316 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Thoroughly enjoying this thread.

Excellent way to stumble across some new music.
Keep Having Dreams

1526: 11th February 2014 @ Pavillions, Plymouth

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:04 pm

suitcaselife wrote:Whatch out for the new record of The Menzingers (will be published in the end of april) - it's imo ace!

Just seen a similar comment on facebook. Please remind me when it's due out, lol