A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

drinkthesunshinezine

Re: A BRAND New cd each week this year - suggestions?

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:56 pm

He wants to buy a newly released cd that is newly released that week in 2014! Not just any cd every week that someone recommends is good!
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 pm

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:He wants to buy a newly released cd that is newly released that week in 2014! Not just any cd every week that someone recommends is good!

I was trying to find somewhere that listed all the new releases for a certain date but couldn't find anything. Anyone else have better luck?

placidcasual76

Post by placidcasual76 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Blonde wrote:
drinkthesunshinezine wrote:He wants to buy a newly released cd that is newly released that week in 2014! Not just any cd every week that someone recommends is good!

I was trying to find somewhere that listed all the new releases for a certain date but couldn't find anything. Anyone else have better luck?

Metacritic is usually fairly comprehensive - However just realised it is US centric but I think the week of release is usually fairly close.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums ... =condensed

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Blonde wrote:

I saw something on Amazon. It wasn't the best laid out way of listing them, but it had about 6-8 on there from what I could see.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 pm

Does it depend on where in the world you are?
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 pm

placidcasual76 wrote:
Gleena wrote:You might have to look around for it (try Poison City Records in Melbourne) but Jen Buxton's Don't Change Your Plans is amazing. Please go buy so everybody knows how awesome she is. Also from Poison City, get Wil Wager from the Smith Street Band's solo album, Lakita.

Also Smith Street Band - Don't Fuck With Our Dreams

Corry Brannan - Mutt
Linc Lefevre and the Insiders - Resonation
The Bennies - Party Party Party
Perry Keyes - Johnny Ray's Downtown

These are awesome, but if you only get one, get Jen Buxton. Her voice is ace. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZLNEOr6BUA
Poison City are an ace record label.

I would add the Hoodlum Shouts to that as well.
Tis, but I misunderstood the game and now feel properly shamed and wotnot.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:21 am

I'm pretty excited about The Family Rain - Under The Volcano which is released on Monday (3/2)

h26

Post by h26 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Blonde wrote:I'm pretty excited about The Family Rain - Under The Volcano which is released on Monday (3/2)
thanks for the reminder to order it ! :wink:
Shows? nowhere near enough of 'em!

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Maximo Park - Too Much Information is also out this week. I'll be picking up both albums.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi Guys

Sorry I forgot to update you here. Anyway, on 20th Jan I bought 'Transgender Dysphoria Blues' by 'Against Me'

My review went like this:

This week I bought ‘Transgender Dysphoria Blues’ by ‘Against Me’ & it’s the best thing I’ve bought so far in this series other than Bruce.

First off then, let’s get to the elephant in the room. The singer & front man of Against Me was Tom Gabel. He is now known as Laura Jane Grace after coming out as a Transgender since their last album ‘White Crosses’ in 2010. I have very little knowledge, or opinion in fact, of Transgender Issues & I’ve no intention of judging. When I worked at the Employment Tribunal we had a high profile Transgender unfair dismissal claim & I know there was a Transgender case at my work around the time I joined Royal Mail, but other than that, I don’t particularly understand. I can say that ‘Against Me’ certainly don’t hide away from the issue, the first 2 tracks being the title track & ‘True Trans Soul Rebel’ and the whole album touches on the issue.

I’m here to judge the music & I have to say this album which clocks in at 29 mins, rocks from start to finish, with the sole exception being the acoustic slower ‘Two Coffins’, & I really enjoyed it a lot. I’ve certainly played it more than anything else I bought this year (except Bruce again) & it’s also the only album I’ve added some tracks from to my iTunes library.

1) Transgender Dysphoria Blues – Out of the gate then they confront the transgender issue with angry lyrics such as ‘You’ve got no cunt to strut, You’ve got No Ass to shake, You want them to see you like they see every other girl, they just see a faggot’. It’s angry & loud but has some melody to it too.

2) True Trans Soul Rebel – I posted a you tube of this one earlier this week, one of my 3 favourite tracks on the album. Great chorus that I love, ‘Who's gonna take you home tonight?W ho's gonna take you home? Does god bless your transsexual heart, True Trans Soul Rebel?’

3) Unconditional Love – Irrespective of gender, or sexual orientation, anyone can identify with the need for unconditional love & the sadness at the heart of the chorus ‘Even if your love was unconditional, It still wouldn't be enough to save me’

4) Drinking With The Jocks – The most angry song so far, feels to me like a rant against straight guys, or perhaps even resignation at not remaining a macho man herself

5) Obama Bin Laden As The Crucified Christ – Well I don’t really like this one much. Unless I’m misreading it it’s just a warning to Osama, ‘You’re Gonna Hang, You’re Gonna Hang’

6) Fuck My Life 666 – 6 songs in & no letting up still. The second over the top title in a row, but this song is a real anthem, maybe my favourite track on it. The kind of beat you wanna pump your fist along to with a great guitar riff to boot. See attached you tube clip to hear it.

7) Dead Friend – Pretty straight forward rock song with the end of the chorus ‘God damn it. God damn, I miss my dead friend.’ A bit Green Day like to my ears. OK

8) Two Coffins – So then we come to the acoustic ballad. I’m not sure what to make of this. I like the message, but not so much the song itself. It’s very simple subject about 2 friends & their eventual inevitable death, ‘“Two coffins to sleep / One for you, one for me / We'll get there eventually.”

9) Paralytic States – A really nice rock song. Possibly the best lyrically on the record. Try this verse & chorus:

Spread out face down on those stained, cheap hotel sheets
She spent the last years of her life running from the boy she used to be
Cut her face wide open, shaved the bone down, then pumped her lips up exaggerated,
A fucked up kind of feminine

Paralytic states of dependency
Our waking life's just a living dream
Agitated states of amazement
Never quite the woman that she wanted to be
Never quite the woman that she wanted to be

I hope this isn’t a pre-curser to a sad end for Laura Jane. It certainly seems to hint at a fragile state of mind in my opinion

10) Black Me Out – The third of my favourite tracks on here (I’m biased to anything Bruce likes I guess, lol). Love the driving guitar though & she spits the lyrics out:

I don't want to see the world that way anymore,
I don't want to feel that weak and insecure.
As if you were my fucking pimp,
As if I was your fucking whore.

Black me out.
I want to piss on the walls of your house,
I want to chop those brass rings off your fat fucking fingers.
As if you were a kingmaker.
Black me out.

I have to say that on the whole I love this album. I’m not sure how far Tom/Laura intends to go with the transgender process. This band have a few albums out. I shall certainly get the previous one 'White Crosses', which has been recommended to me this week. Were she to have her voice altered, that’d be a huge step for a singer in an established band. Without that it’ll be interesting to see how sales compare to previous efforts, not that I guess they’ve ever been huge here in the UK.

The nearest I get to punk is probably ‘The Clash’, ‘Green Day’ & maybe ‘Gaslight Anthem’ (who started under that genre umbrella). This is highly recommended & I bet that’ll shock some of my friends……………………

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 20666&sm=3

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Then last Monday 27th Jan I bought the re-issue of 'No Depression' by Uncle Tupelo & my review went like this:

This week I bought ‘No Depression’ by Uncle Tupelo (re-issue)

So what did I know about them before? Not a lot. I knew they were ‘Americana’ or ‘Country Rock’ & I knew Jeff Tweedy was involved & that he went on to form Wilco (who I believe are a similar genre). I knw very little about Wilco either, other than they are very highly rated & I once saw them early on (I think Summerteeth was just about to be released) supporting Oasis in the UK. I also knew that I loved the name Uncle Tupelo (birthplace of the King link??)
A bit of research told me this is seen as a bit of a defining album in the US & almost as the first of it’s kind, a bit of a forerunner of the modern country sounds.

Not going to do a track by track review this time, but in the ‘liked’ section I have:
‘Graveyard Shift’ – More ‘Rock Country’ than ‘Country Rock’ & very nice powerful. Reminds me of the best of the Drive-By Truckers who I like a lot.
Liked the opening 4 track salvo actually including ‘That Year’, ‘Before I Break’ & the more country ‘No Depression’
‘Whiskey Bottle’ slower but still rock, a little similar in style to The Hold Steady’s ‘Lord, I’m Discouraged’ but not that good!
Life Worth Livin’ – Another slower one that reminds me of DBT or the Hold Steady. Impressive if this was the pre-curser to those bands that I like A LOT
‘So Called Friend’
‘Screen Door’ – nothing like ‘Thunder Road’ but paints images in my mind in a similar way, lol

In the OK section I have ‘Factory Belt’ (odd & pointless to my ears NOISE to finish with),
‘Outdone’
‘Train’ (although I like the tempo shifts in ‘Train’) – nothing wrong with them, just a bit ‘samey’,
‘Flatness’, &
John Hardy’

Nothing I really disliked, but overall it didn’t blow me away. Not gonna bother with the outtakes etc, all pretty similar stuff though.

Bossman

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Today I purchased 'Augustines' by the same band.

On first listen I like it a lot. Review to follow on Friday

Next week I'm currently intending to get the new Roseanne Cash album for which the reviews I've seen look amazing, unless anyone has a better alternative

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

smithyramfan

Post by smithyramfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 am

Completely agree with your view of Transgender Dysphoria Blues, its a cracking album. The only issue I have with it is that the acoustic versions of FuckMyLife666 and True Trans Soul Rebel that were on the True Trans EP last year are far superior to the full band album versions in my opinion
crap at dancing and can't hold my drink...
Shows: Lincoln 24/11/12, Nottingham 09/02/14, Y Not Festival 03/08/14

dutton316

Post by dutton316 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:44 pm

smithyramfan wrote:Completely agree with your view of Transgender Dysphoria Blues, its a cracking album. The only issue I have with it is that the acoustic versions of FuckMyLife666 and True Trans Soul Rebel that were on the True Trans EP last year are far superior to the full band album versions in my opinion

True Trans Soul Rebel was a fantastic accoustic song.
Keep Having Dreams

1526: 11th February 2014 @ Pavillions, Plymouth

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:16 pm

This week I bought ‘Augustines’ by ‘Augustines’ & I bloody love it!

New Music has to grab me quite early on, as I come by quite a lot of it & often repeated plays aren't happening unless something interests me. This one had no such problem & has been 'on repeat' all week. It’s gonna be very hard to quote lyrics precisely as I’m unable to find them anywhere on the net as yet, but here’s my take on the album as a whole

1) Intro (I Touch Imaginary Hands) – Just a hypnotic minute & a half intro, sets the scene

2) Cruel City – Now we’re off! Rythmic & rockin. Percussion features a lot on this album & I love it. Nice sing-a-long chorus (if you could make it out properly). Anthemic & that applies to a LOT of this album too. Some I can make out ‘I Miss Your Skin, I reach For You In The Night’

3) Nothing To Lose But Your Head – Pounding drums on the lead (?) single. ‘You Got Nothing To Lose But Your Head, Shine A Light In The Dark’. There are some sad lyrics scattered throughout the album such as ‘Have You Ever Lost Someone’ in this track, but yet I find optimism & hope sprinkled throughout it too. Redemption even. Tracks 2 & 3 bring some of The Killers' sound to my ears

4) Weary Eyes – God there are some great tracks on this baby. Seen this one described as 'Springsteenesque' elsewhere

5) Don’t You Look Back – It Gets better & better. Shades of Kings Of Leon possibly, nice bass & guitar anyway.

6) Walkabout – I reckon the whole album is built around this terrific ballad. Piano & voice intro & fade out with a middle section that just builds & builds. Powerful, moving stuff this one! Like the best of U2's work perhaps

7) Kid, You’re On Your Own – Nice rockin riff & chorus. I love this one too & whilst I think it’s sad, again I find optimism & hope within too. Shades of Gaslight Anthem

8) This Ain’t Me – Probably my least favourite, but I still like it a lot. A bit more repetitive than other tracks here though.

9) Now You Are Free – ‘You Gotta Let Go’, ‘What Am I Running From, What Am I Running From, What Am I Running From, Myself & Everyone, Let Go!’ – Another anthem! I find this a real thought provoker. Almost a self preservation chant! Possibly my favourite track on the whole album

10) The Avenue – A bit less ‘rock’ being built from a piano intro. I really like the whole ‘feel’ of this track. Almost reflective & calm after the preceeding 7 great tracks (& This Ain’t Me)

11) Highway 1 Interlude – An instrumental interlude, a bit of a mini ‘Walkabout’ in fact as it builds before the final track

12) Hold Onto Anything – Sounds like a military drum beat behind a rousing finale.

I wish it was easier to make out the lyrics more clearly but I have to say this is my favourite album of all those I’ve bought in this series so far. I absolutely love it from start to finish. I must’ve played it twice as many times as anything (other than Bruce) so far. I just find it SO uplifting! Bought tickets to see them at Bristol yesterday. If they are as good live as they are on this, that’ll be a GREAT show I’m sure!

I can heartily recommend this one to anyone who knows me well & has any kind of similar taste, or who likes bands like U2, Bruce, The Killers, Kings Of Leon, Gaslight Anthem, The Hold Steady, Coldplay even. It's early in the year but I really think it'll make my Top 10 of this year, after just 5 days with it.

Here's a link to an article in the Independent :

http://po.st/cTuihP

I think next week will be the new Rosanne Cash album, having seen absolutely spectacular reviews of it already.