frank vinyl

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Danlechief

frank vinyl

Post by Danlechief » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:36 pm

hi everyone. i was wondering if anyone knew a bit more about a few vinyl releases, i have been wondering how to tell apart the many represses of SIFTW from the original as they both seem to have the same serial number, and i had heard that the originals were signed by frank as part of like a "kickstarter" project or something. The other thing ive seen is a tape deck heart on sale in germany, which is signed and hand numbered up to 250. does anyone know anything about this?

those questions aside, im trying to build my collection so if you have any doubles youd like to sell or trade please get in touch, i have a couple of spares of things myself.

thanks for any help guys

dan
"Age is no object if you're in love.

Oh shit what have I just said?"

frank turner, Birmingham, 18th November 2015

marowak

Re: frank vinyl

Post by marowak » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Danlechief wrote: The other thing ive seen is a tape deck heart on sale in germany, which is signed and hand numbered up to 250. does anyone know anything about this?
think this is the splatter edition ...

evan will be along at some point and will be able to answer all your vinyl desires
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:42 pm

thanks, the strange this is it was a yellow outer, not the brown

SanDimas1988

Post by SanDimas1988 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I bought SIFTW when it was first released from Banquet Records and then when it was offered from Xtra Mile. As far as I can tell, there wasn't any difference between either version. I can check tonight when I get home, but I believe they're the exact same. This happens a lot actually. The regular Tape Deck vinyl is the exact same in Europe and the UK after you take off the plastic wrap. The shrink wrap from the European version has a different sticker, which is a different bar code.

The Tape Deck you're talking about is a splatter version, it was limited, somewhere around a couple hundred. There were 100 offered through Xtra Mile, and apparently some were offered on a Germany tour. I believe it's the same pressing, just released in different places.

There are so many variants of everything, you're better off not getting sucked down that hole like I've been. It's impossible to find some of the stuff.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:29 pm

There is only one pressing of Sleep Is For The Week. It was never released first time around, and only came out via a Pledge drive after XMR lost loads of stock in a fire. Some were signed, some were not. It depended on whether you asked for it to be so. The exact number pressed is unknown, but it would have been a round number due to the constraints of pressing records in certain quantities, so a number were available beyond the Pledge thing.

Tape Deck Heart splatter is about 250 I think. Most sold on tour. XMR did have a few, although have a feeling it was less than 100 (I might be wrong). Although the vinyl is very nice, the inner sleeve is absent which I think is a crime.

For the most part, vinyl wise, although you might get different shrink wrap etc in Europe it is the same pressing. American pressings are different, but SIFTW has never been released over there, and I dont know what the deal is with TDH. The others came out on Epitaph though, and were editions of 300 White, 700 Red (1st press) and 1000 black (2nd press) for LIS and POTD. No idea about England Keep My Bones.

This needs updating, but is about all the info there is available (at the time of writing): http://gettinggaywithrecords.wordpress.com/
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

SanDimas1988

Post by SanDimas1988 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:41 pm

I was close, but damn is Evan a fountain of information.

I love his blog, but he needs to get it current! I check it every so often because I love the pictures and commentary (I'm a vinyl geek).
Last edited by SanDimas1988 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 pm

SanDimas1988 wrote:I was close, but damn is Evan a fountain of information.

I love his blog, but he needs to get it current! I check it every so often because I love the pictures and commentary (I'm a final geek).
I will get around to it at some point. I got all excited about it and then kind of forgot. I have a bunch more 7"s to add and obviously TDH. Plus, you know, the masses of vinyl that isn't by Frank that i own. I am lazy
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:13 pm

The splatter edition of TDH was in a brown outer though wasn't it? Mine is. The one I saw online was a yellow outer but hand numbered...

SanDimas1988

Post by SanDimas1988 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 pm

It's not complete, but it's close, and it's a good reference for just what's out there http://www.discogs.com/artist/Frank+Turner

As for the different versions, Xtra Mile's site has a picture of the regular cover, then also what the splatter looks like here

http://www.xtramilerecordings.com/Music ... =12&brid=5

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Danlechief wrote:The splatter edition of TDH was in a brown outer though wasn't it? Mine is. The one I saw online was a yellow outer but hand numbered...

This one: http://frankturnerstore.sandbaghq.com/t ... vinyl.html ?

The lithograph is numbered. The vinyl is the same

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:27 am

Yes that was it, thankyou Evan. I'm also relieved I don't have to hunt down another TDH!!!

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:30 am

Danlechief wrote:Yes that was it, thankyou Evan. I'm also relieved I don't have to hunt down another TDH!!!
You and me both, dude. I have a disgusting amount of Frank vinyl that I am almost certainly never going to listen to. I just can't help myself though. I must have it all.

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:05 pm

The joys of having to explain to the wife that I don't want to listen to it, it's just there because I need it. And there is absolutely no excuse for removing the shrink wrap "just to take a look".

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Danlechief wrote:The joys of having to explain to the wife that I don't want to listen to it, it's just there because I need it. And there is absolutely no excuse for removing the shrink wrap "just to take a look".
I only started with the variations because Frank didn't seem all that bothered about collecting his own records, and I thought someone had to do it. Except that was years ago when he just had a couple of 7"s. Its hard to keep up now as I simply can't afford it, so I have resigned myself to not having everything.

There was one point when I was collecting variations of CDs as well; promos, US releases etc... I am slightly over that. I have like 6 copies of EKMB on CD alone. I really don't need them.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Evan wrote: I have like 6 copies of EKMB on CD alone. I really don't need them.
I don't have that many, but I had to remind myself that I don't need any more copies of EKMB when I saw the blue cover and thought it looked pretty.