"Think Before You Ink"

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

tampateri

Re: "Think Before You Ink"

Post by tampateri » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:54 am

Next, they'll want meal plans for the week. That would actually be more reasonable in our country. Bunch of fat asses.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 am

I can't get behind anything related to the government saving me from myself.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:28 am

It's usually illegal to tattoo intoxicated people anyway (I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case in DC already) and most tattooists won't do it anyway, unless it's a friend. This, to me, is a classic case of some busybody fucknut sitting around trying to think up things to do with their time. Another reason to hate bureaucracies - they have a tendency to keep themselves busy.

Personally I think people should take responsibility for their tattoo choices. If you're dumb enough to get something stupid done and only later consider the consequences of its permanence, well, you've effectively branded yourself as an idiot. Your problem (and that applies to me too of course).
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 am

darlenet. wrote:
seamiedev wrote:as opposed to being able to buy firearms ...........
Exactly!!!!! Violent crime in DC increased by 40% in 2012. I would think the city government might find a better way to help people than from elective tattoos and piercings.
Any government stats on people waking up the next day with a tattoo they regretted :mrgreen: ??

Oddly enough I can see the point but I'd presume in this day & age the vast majority of professional tattooists would make sure their customers really really want the tatt before inking them. On a similar I thought about getting a barcode tattooed on my wrist a few years back, glad I didn't as I found out later it's supposed to have some sort of eastern European right-wing connections :shock:
:D

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 pm

seamiedev wrote:Any government stats on people waking up the next day with a tattoo they regretted :mrgreen: ??
Oh, please don't ask that. The next thing you know, they will form a subcommittee to establish a task force to appoint a focus group to study this issue. :roll:
shows? 90 so far...

ScarletPlanetMoon

Post by ScarletPlanetMoon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:58 pm

frank wrote:Personally I think people should take responsibility for their tattoo choices. If you're dumb enough to get something stupid done and only later consider the consequences of its permanence, well, you've effectively branded yourself as an idiot. Your problem (and that applies to me too of course).
Of course they should. I could vaguely accept a stupid tattoo that had a funny story attached to it (nothing wrong with memories, of course), but it's these idiots who go off to wherever on holiday, get totally off their faces on christ knows what, walk into a tattoo studio and get something totally ridiculous somewhere stupid - I saw a programme once where a guy had had a speed boat company logo tattooed across his backside or something dumb like that.

And lets face it, it's not going to stop people regretting a tattoo. You could spend years agonising over what to get and still come to regret it somewhere down the line.
I'm no good at thinking of something funny enough for these things.
http://www.hellyeahjlandtss.tumblr.com

scottkeys

Post by scottkeys » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:47 pm

The next thing you know some crazy city will outlaw large soft drinks...

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:02 pm

So does anyone on here have a tattoo they regret? Planned or unplanned?

AliceE67

Post by AliceE67 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:07 pm

scottkeys wrote:The next thing you know some crazy city will outlaw large soft drinks...
lol! I hear that! typical of people who create bullshit to amuse themselves. I equate politicians with drama queens like honey boo boo..little children who wear too much makeup and prance around on a stage...clueless.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:27 pm

I just don't get it, if you make a decision, you live with the consequences, positive or negative. That is the way we learn and grow. I don't have a tattoo, yet, but if/when I do I will be a 'kin adult and won't blame anyone except me if I hate it.
We get nannied far too much and it is dangerous because folks stop thinking for themselves and blame everyone, except themselves.
Rant over.

inca

Post by inca » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:58 pm

marowak wrote:i had to book 3 months in advance for my last tattoo ...
Wow 3 months I normally go in on a saturday and book for tuesday or thursday afternoon

Bella

Post by Bella » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Mmmmmm Tattoos…. Living Ink….

I have a love of tattoos, which I guess is pretty clear from other posts I’ve made on this forum…

I don’t have any myself – I have so many allergies that no-one will tattoo me – dead people are not good for business. It’s probably a good thing – I’d be poor but covered head to toe!

I’ve met a few artists and they tend to be some of the calmest, most wonderful people I’ve had the pleasure to talk to. Half of them are also history nerds in one form or another and all of them are artists in other formats than tattoos and are seriously skilled. There seems to be two things that come up often in conversation 1) regulation of the industry and 2) awful tattoos and quite often the two subjects are intertwined.

From an outsider’s point of view, I have seen some amazing works of art (which accounts for my love of living ink) and some truly utterly appalling pieces! Some of the worst ones are not even DIY tattoos, they were done in a studio and paid for! Not practice pieces either, but genuine requests…

I don’t think they are bad tattoos because they are not to my personal taste, they are genuinely bad art. I am reminded of that picture doing the rounds of the guy holding a picture of Pegasus, the winged horse - and the tattoo itself looks like something three year old might draw.. oval body with dots for a face and blobs for wings.. *shudders*

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that bad tattoos are not necessarily there because the person getting the tattoo was drunk, or that they were not specific enough with their request. It is just as likely that the person doing the tattoo might have little or no experience in that style.

I think the responsibility lies with both parties – it’s all very well wanting to get a tattoo from a particular artist, but if you want… say… a portrait doing – CHECK that the tattooist has skill in that area (See some of Matt Hunt’s work for how it should be done, he works out of Modern Body Art, Birmingham, UK)

Most of the tattooist’s that I have spoken to will draw or sketch the tattoo for you before putting it on your skin, so you can check their skill level before you start. If they won’t – my advice is go someplace else! Most tattooists also take photos of their work – its advertising their skill, and will let you see their portfolio. Always check first!

Regarding Frank’s Texas tattoo – I think it’s a great way to remember seeing the one off Van Pelt reunion show.

I use Frank as an example often when talking about tattoos, particularly since many of his tattoos have more than one meaning, and a number of them are placed with reference to another tattoo. I consider Texas to be a music related tattoo, it’s also a buddy tattoo (Casey Lee from Fake Problems also got a Texas tattoo, and Frank tattooed John Berna in the same session) which fits with the way his other tattoos are balanced on his upper arms. Less of mistake than it seems. Glad he didn’t get it on his “drunk leg”!

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

inca

Post by inca » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:12 pm

All planned no walk-ins no regrets.
First was agonised over for years cos im a coward, scared of needles, last but one desperatly wanted but 4 months consideration because of placement then when I knew for sure there was a high risk of infection due to extracuricular activitys so further delayed till I could have safe healing time.
One done as a kind of reward for compleating an advanced scuba diving course, thats my show peice one, everyone seems to like it.
I found the buzzing of the needle therapeutic, relaxing. Its very strange

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:43 pm

inca wrote:All planned no walk-ins no regrets.
First was agonised over for years cos im a coward, scared of needles, last but one desperatly wanted but 4 months consideration because of placement then when I knew for sure there was a high risk of infection due to extracuricular activitys so further delayed till I could have safe healing time.
One done as a kind of reward for compleating an advanced scuba diving course, thats my show peice one, everyone seems to like it.
I found the buzzing of the needle therapeutic, relaxing. Its very strange
Ahhh, ye olde needle trance. I don't know where the heck I went, but it was pretty cool.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

inca

Post by inca » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Its really weired I had one done on my sholder, I sat backwards on the chair watching his itunes (befor I had my ipod so I had never seen it) he had awesome songs creed, theory of a dead man, 3rd eye blind. Could of been my playlist then I think I fell asleep next thing I know hes asking if he can take a photo