"Think Before You Ink"

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

darlenet.

"Think Before You Ink"

Post by darlenet. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Yup, that is actual legislation proposed by the city of our nation's capital. A 24 hour waiting period before getting tattoos or piercings. Apparently one of the motives is to "save people from themselves." Our fucking tax dollars at work.
shows? 90 so far...

Pete

Re: "Think Before You Ink"

Post by Pete » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm

I actually think it's a reasonable idea - have a look at Frank for an example of avoiding the needle when you've had a few beers ;)
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Pete wrote:I actually think it's a reasonable idea - have a look at Frank for an example of avoiding the needle when you've had a few beers
:lol: Well, damn, that took the wind out of my sails.

But, here is a link to the story:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/washington-dc- ... d=20192619
shows? 90 so far...

helentx

Post by helentx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:34 pm

You'd think Washington would have more important things to worry about ..... like the economy & stuff.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:13 pm

helentx wrote:You'd think Washington would have more important things to worry about ..... like the economy & stuff.
It's the city making the decision, not the Government of the US. :)

Not an overly bad idea really, but it would be more in line to make it illegal to tattoo obviously drunk people. If someone is sober and wants a stupid tattoo that's fair enough :)

The law as it stands could make it hard for tourists to get tattoo's with artists they specifically go to see.
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm on both sides of this one.

First and foremost, more government barging into private life, which I am completely and wholeheartedly against. Fuck off.

However... There is a lot to be said about not getting inked impulsively. I defend Frank, because his all have a cool story. But... I know a loooot of people who have gotten stupid stupid things and regretted it THE NEXT DAY. Also, sometimes the artist fucks up. It happens.

I know a few tattooists, and most of them no longer take walk-ins. You have to book an appointment and have a consult. They draw up the design. Then you come back in. Some charge for this, some don't.

I prance around with what I want for a few days to see if I still want it (except for the most recent). Will I ever get something completely out of the blue? Maybe. But likely not. To each their own.

So, I hate that it's the government doing this. Again, it's my body, I can do what I want (and still can, thankfully, in the GWN). But the idea is correct, IMHO.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

helentx

Post by helentx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:40 pm

minidazzler wrote:
helentx wrote:You'd think Washington would have more important things to worry about ..... like the economy & stuff.
It's the city making the decision, not the Government of the US. :)

Not an overly bad idea really, but it would be more in line to make it illegal to tattoo obviously drunk people. If someone is sober and wants a stupid tattoo that's fair enough :)

The law as it stands could make it hard for tourists to get tattoo's with artists they specifically go to see.
Thanks for the clarification. So it's only a local decision. There's only so far a government ought to go in trying to prevent decisions which might be regretted the next morning.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I've considered all sides, but sorry, nope! How is the fact that it's a city government make a difference? It's a slippery slope. "Let's give you 24 hours to reconsider shaving your head. It's for you own good; could get skin cancer." Let's give you 24 hours until you can do.....because we know best. " Just, nope!!!

Most reputable tattoo parlors have ethics regarding inebriated people (Frank Turner excluded I suppose). This will destroy business owners' walk in business. Also, in my humble opinion.

darlene
shows? 90 so far...

inca

"Think Before You Ink"

Post by inca » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I've neverbeen able to get a same day appointment but then again I usually walk in with a picture or idea and they have to draw it for me so that takes time. I've not had one done on impulse. It took me months to have lyrice on my forearm because I considered it my first visible tattoo all my others were easily hidden
Edited to add just because i cant get a same day appointment, it doesn't mean i think anyone should be able to make you wait any amount of time before getting anything done. Far too much state involvement in our personal lives

marowak

Post by marowak » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:02 pm

i had to book 3 months in advance for my last tattoo ...
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:12 pm

darlenet. wrote:Apparently one of the motives is to "save people from themselves."
as opposed to being able to buy firearms ........... :shock:
:D

ScarletPlanetMoon

Post by ScarletPlanetMoon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:55 pm

I'd've thought most tattooists refuse to tattoo people who have been drinking.

But then again, at the tattoo studio I go to you have to book months in advance. I guess it's different if a place does walk-ins. I just don't like the idea of a law being against such a thing. I mean, how is someone supposed to know for sure that a person hasn't thought about getting the tattoo/piercing for a long time before they actually do? I thought about having my lip pierced for months before the place I go posted on facebook with an offer for piercings, so I rang and booked an appointment for later that day...

It just seems to me that it's something that'll be hard to police.

Then again, I don't see how anyone can think it's a good idea to get a tattoo while they're drunk. It whole idea just seems stupid to me (sorry Frank!).
I'm no good at thinking of something funny enough for these things.
http://www.hellyeahjlandtss.tumblr.com

helentx

Post by helentx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:13 pm

So I'm thinking how drunk before the person is too drunk to be tattoed? Or is it easier to tattoo someone the more inebriated they are? & surely the tattoist already takes precautions against contracting HIV etc?

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 pm

seamiedev wrote:as opposed to being able to buy firearms ...........
Exactly!!!!! Violent crime in DC increased by 40% in 2012. I would think the city government might find a better way to help people than from elective tattoos and piercings.
shows? 90 so far...

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:02 am

The law wouldn't have saved Frank from Texas anyway. I recall the story was the tattoo artist sat on his chest on a fluffy kitten floor, some fair few hours of drinking later.

This is just dumb, though. I presume people are grown adults who know that a tattoo doesn't wash off in the morning. Most studios make the choice as to whom they will tattoo and who they won't anyway. Mine has big signs up saying if you're obviously off your face they won't do it, and that's their choice. But I don't relish any government making that choice for me.

There is walk in space on weekends at my artists, but they only do flash for that.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.