Is anyone else getting a bit bored with the setlists?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Blonde

Re: Is anyone else getting a bit bored with the setlists?

Post by Blonde » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:54 pm

minidazzler wrote:To be fair, he's an entertainer, if the majority of the people in the room aren't entertained then he's doing his job badly. And since the majority in the room are rarely going to be the super fans who know every lyric to every song and have their favourite song as an exceptionally obscure one from a limited release. They're gonna be the ones who are there for the hits and then get to like the more obscure songs.

I go to 1-3 frank shows a year, so I suppose it hasn't started boring me at all, the problem comes when people go to 15 shows in a row. Of course there's gonna be a lot of repeats.... think about it from the point of view of someone who is only going to go to one show for definite..... they better hear their favourite songs or they'll give up.
I get this, this is what I'm like for most of the non-Frank gigs. Doesn't mean I can't say that I'm bored of hearing some songs night after night. We're not demanding that Frank changes the setlist cos some of us are a bit bored of it/parts of it, we're just giving an opinion. There are a lot of songs that are the hits that I'd be disappointed that got dropped. It's more the lesser songs that I'd liked swapped.

Unorthadox1080

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:21 pm

I think it's important to mention as well, I don't think any of us want the setlist radically changed at all but it would be cool if there were 3-4 songs where you just think "I wasn't expecting that" I don't even mean obsure B sides maybe songs that were once played a lot e.g Poetry of The Deed, Fathers Day. That's my 2 cents anyway.

hermoine

Post by hermoine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Personally, I think this is a distinct First World Problem - "I get to go to so many Frank Turner shows, I'm bored with the setlist". I wish I had that problem. Frank is not likely to be in my neighbourhood, or even the continent I live on any time soon (I live in South Africa). So do me a favour, and enjoy the show, and sing along to all the songs you must know so well (having heard them before), and enjoy the show :) Hopefully I will be able to join in some time before Frank gets to show no. 2000!

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Unorthadox1080 wrote:I think it's important to mention as well, I don't think any of us want the setlist radically changed at all but it would be cool if there were 3-4 songs where you just think "I wasn't expecting that" I don't even mean obsure B sides maybe songs that were once played a lot e.g Poetry of The Deed, Fathers Day. That's my 2 cents anyway.
I used the b sides as examples
there are definitely songs I would love to hear but I cannot claim to be bored of a set I keep going back to hear. Although granted could equally be about seeing friends as it is Frank
sorry Frank :P

With Poetry and Fathers Day, haven't they also been accused of being long standing always in the set songs?
Always nice to hear something you haven't heard for a bit though, I liked hearing Rock N Roll Romance at Hatfield
had forgotten about that song

Unorthadox1080

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 pm

moomin wrote:
Unorthadox1080 wrote:I think it's important to mention as well, I don't think any of us want the setlist radically changed at all but it would be cool if there were 3-4 songs where you just think "I wasn't expecting that" I don't even mean obsure B sides maybe songs that were once played a lot e.g Poetry of The Deed, Fathers Day. That's my 2 cents anyway.
I used the b sides as examples
there are definitely songs I would love to hear but I cannot claim to be bored of a set I keep going back to hear. Although granted could equally be about seeing friends as it is Frank
sorry Frank :P

With Poetry and Fathers Day, haven't they also been accused of being long standing always in the set songs?
Always nice to hear something you haven't heard for a bit though, I liked hearing Rock N Roll Romance at Hatfield
had forgotten about that song
Yeah songs like Rock N Roll Romance are great songs to throw in now and again but regardless we're always going to get a great show.

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:39 am

Blonde wrote:I know quite a few people who would love it if you dropped The Road. But I love that live and part of it is down to the reaction it gets from the crowd.
...really? But... It's the best... And the pointing...

But seriously, I agree with everything Moomin said, and I don't envy Frank for the hellish quest of trying to please the most fickle humans that have ever existed. Just because we have access to the performer doesn't mean we should dictate what is performed. This is unprecedented in terms of society, outside a royal court.

When I buy a ticket to an artist I want to support and see live, I feel as though I am entering into an investment deal with that artist (especially lately with the travel, but that's neither here nor there). I am not only investing in the cost of the ticket, but I'm investing my time. If I feel as though the artist has put great effort into a quality performance, no matter what that performance contained, I consider the night a win. Fuck what I want to hear at a given moment. That's not my role in the deal. What brings me back to Frank and the Souls is that the quality so far surpasses anything else I have seen live. And yet, when people ask me for the set list...I can remember about 90% of it, and I KNOW I danced and yelled and sang...and I know there were a few songs I was elated to hear...but it's the show on the whole. I've been to three this year, and with those and YouTube, I have a fair idea of what will be played, and the intro that Frank will give for each. I go, and will continue to go, despite this. How often do you get a guaranteed return on investment???

Fuck the set list. Don't go as often if you tire easily of the same songs. No offense to anyone.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

marowak

Post by marowak » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:58 am

now a days i'm lucky if i get to 1-2 frank shows ... i no longer care what the set list is - i just go and enjoy the show for whatever it happens to be on that evening.

everyone always wants their favourite tracks played - but everyone is different and one mans the road is another mans redemption.

frank pays more attention to all this than most other artists - so many bands (wrongly) just play what they want to play and don't take into account the audience
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

valderie

Post by valderie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am

SB wrote:And, to be fair to Frank, for the two shows in Brooklyn, as he was aware a lot of the crowd were going to both nights, the set list was changed a fair bit. Again showing that the set list is chosen for the majority of the crowd.
yeah i loved this. ive seen him do the same city on the same tour a few times and the 2nd night always manages to get the ~hits~ in while including some other less played songs so that when they start you're like OHHHH SHIIIIIIT. its a good time, always liked he did this.

but i concur, if im bored of a song it's my own fault for going to too many shows + listening on my own to albums, not his problem :)

DecanoLP

Post by DecanoLP » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm

frank wrote:
minidazzler wrote:I go to 1-3 frank shows a year, so I suppose it hasn't started boring me at all, the problem comes when people go to 15 shows in a row. Of course there's gonna be a lot of repeats.... think about it from the point of view of someone who is only going to go to one show for definite..... they better hear their favourite songs or they'll give up.
Yeah also this. I've recently started asking how many people are seeing me n the Souls for the first time. Every night it's a lot of people, usually about half the crowd...
I agree, but I think it would be cool if you played 1-2 rare songs at every show for the die-hard fans. The rest could be the usual stuff which is of course great as well. For example during the acoustic part and as an encore opener where the atmosphere is pretty low anyway.
We aren't talking about any B-sides here, but songs like Isabel, To Take You Home, St. Christopher's Coming Home, Sons of Liberty or Jet Lag are pretty rare and should be known by the majority of the crowd :)

But it's cool to see you check the setlist you played last time you were in that specific town. Still love your shows and the new stuff works really well, but I was taking a look at the Hatfield setlist which was a standard one except Broken Piano maybe =/ Well, I'm still really looking forward to seeing you in Hamburg. It's gonna be a blast as always!

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:03 pm

DecanoLP wrote:
frank wrote:
minidazzler wrote:I go to 1-3 frank shows a year, so I suppose it hasn't started boring me at all, the problem comes when people go to 15 shows in a row. Of course there's gonna be a lot of repeats.... think about it from the point of view of someone who is only going to go to one show for definite..... they better hear their favourite songs or they'll give up.
Yeah also this. I've recently started asking how many people are seeing me n the Souls for the first time. Every night it's a lot of people, usually about half the crowd...
I agree, but I think it would be cool if you played 1-2 rare songs at every show for the die-hard fans. The rest could be the usual stuff which is of course great as well. For example during the acoustic part and as an encore opener where the atmosphere is pretty low anyway.
We aren't talking about any B-sides here, but songs like Isabel, To Take You Home, St. Christopher's Coming Home, Sons of Liberty or Jet Lag are pretty rare and should be known by the majority of the crowd :)

But it's cool to see you check the setlist you played last time you were in that specific town. Still love your shows and the new stuff works really well, but I was taking a look at the Hatfield setlist which was a standard one except Broken Piano maybe =/ Well, I'm still really looking forward to seeing you in Hamburg. It's gonna be a blast as always!
I guess it comes down to at what point you came in as a Frank Turner fan. A song like 'Sons of Liberty' was played pretty much constantly when Poetry of the Deed came out so I for one am not bothered about hearing it played again any time soon.

Besides, I'm sure these things have to be rehearsed pretty tightly before the tour so you can't just decide to throw in an old song on the day (unless it is played solo, and even then it relies on Frank remembering the words) as the band might not remember it!

Some bands (such as Fugazi and the Wave Pictures) have an extensive back catalogue and don't do setlists, but they are exceptions to the rule.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

slowmyke

Post by slowmyke » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:10 pm

This is a problem for all performers with this sort of fan base. You get the superstars that the whole world lives and they get along fine with just playing the hits because the tickets are expensive and a relatively small portion of your fans get to see you. You don't have many people who see multiple shows each tour. But you get the smaller performers that build their fan base by touring and you get a lot of people who do go to multiple shows. The hardcore fans have got to realize that while they feel more ownership of the show, the show wouldn't be nearly as cool without the new fans who only know the hits. They are the ones who really bring the energy, they came to hear the songs they they know and are glad to hear them. If it were all hardcore fans getting their way, eventually the shows lose the energy.

In any event, I feel like Frank mixes it up a lot more than most, and really any change should be appreciated. The shows I've been to have been great and the energy was way up most of the show.

sewer samuel

Post by sewer samuel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm

"the fastest way back home" should be in every set. such an amazing song.
732, 833, 1009, 1110, 1112, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1216, 1273, 1408

js2

Post by js2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:44 pm

I felt this a little the last time I saw him but then he *always* pulls something out of the bag that makes the show special. Examples:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMXbgnZY9BE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3C28zC1ew (Dan's)
26/11/11, 13/11/12, 17/4/13, 9/2/14, 28/6/14(MH)
Next: 29/1/15

Tumblr:
http://letsbeheroesletsbemartyrs.tumblr.com
Other interests include Manic Street Preachers, future of the left, the unbelievable hopelessness of the human race and really bad jokes.

DieselBenz

Post by DieselBenz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 pm

DecanoLP wrote: I agree, but I think it would be cool if you played 1-2 rare songs at every show for the die-hard fans. The rest could be the usual stuff which is of course great as well. For example during the acoustic part and as an encore opener where the atmosphere is pretty low anyway.
But he does this pretty much exactly. Case in point, in the last four gigs I've been too, in the mid-set acoustic spot he's done The Real Damage, Redemption, Worse Things Happen At Sea and Jet Lag and in the first encore spot St. Christopher Is Coming Home, two brand new songs and Sailor's Boots. I don't check every setlist, but in my observation it's pretty standard that he pulls out a rarity or two at every show, usually requests. I tend to go to shows in bunches and there's always some surprise at each one. Anyhow, I'm pretty thrilled at whatever gets played, even if I'm hearing it for the 20th time. I feel lucky if I get to do it all over and over. Most people, whether they are new fans or diehards or whatever, only get to go to one show on a tour, and it makes sense and seems fair to me that the bulk of the setlist would be written with that in mind. I personally think Frank strikes a really good balance in his song selection, and it ends up reflected in the atmosphere and all-encompassing enthusiasm at shows, which to me is what makes them worth going to rather than if this song or that is played.
2011: 8/26, 28, 11/4(x2); 2012: 2/21, 22, 23, 24, 3/9, 11, 12, 18, 9/8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 28, 29, 30; 2013: 6/5, 6, 7(x2), 8, 7/26, 31, 8/1, 2, 10/4, 5, 11/16, 19, 29(X2). 2014: 6/4. 2015: 3/8, 9(x2), 5/12, 13, 14, 15. 18

reitzel6570

Post by reitzel6570 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 pm

I personally like the Springsteen setlist model. The man has 324 studio tracks to choose from, and usually plays about 27 songs per show. Obviously, he can’t please everyone. Each show there’s about 10 songs that get played at almost every show of the tour (part of the tour theme, new album, or just warhorses or whatever), 10 that are songs from a list of about 30 that are on “every 4 or 5 shows” rotation (songs people want to hear that just don’t get played every night), 3 audience requests (could be anything), 2 that are songs from a list of about 40 that are on a “once in a while” rotation, 1 from a list of about 75 that are on a “Holy shit, I can’t believe he played that” rotation, and 1 cover (often location-specific).

I went to 17 shows on the Wrecking Ball tour, and saw 114* different songs. Frank is mostly also following this model, and he beats Bruce in the “introducing a new song” category. The mix works well for me. I love that mid-set acoustic spot, DieselBenz. It’s just going to get harder as he adds more songs to his catalog, even if he starts doing 3 hour shows.

*And, no, I don’t obsessively keep track of this stuff. Someone else does. You can download complete tour stats here: https://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Tour+Statistics