Is anyone else getting a bit bored with the setlists?

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Baudelaire

Is anyone else getting a bit bored with the setlists?

Post by Baudelaire » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Sorry Frank! Don't mean to be a dick, but for me, the usual setlist is getting old. You're pretty much guaranteed the same basic, 60% EKMB, greatest hits, setlist every show, with the odd one or two (if you're lucky) rarity thrown in. And I fear with an arena tour coming up, this won't change. It seems that it is catering purely for the newer fans (as you have blown up massively lately, and congrats on that!). But I feel you neglect a massive amount of awesome songs, in favour of playing the same ones day in day out.

Maybe it's just me. And sorry again (I still love you Frank).

moomin

Re: Is anyone else getting a bit bored with the setlists?

Post by moomin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Not really, there are songs I have over heard live but then that is my fault for going to more shows than maybe some others would consider.

I would hate to be a compiler of a setlist, the songs you want to play, the songs for the people who see one show a year, the hardcore who want their favourite obscure number and all the while make sure it flows, peaks with energy and rest, and gets the latest songs in there, the unknown quantity of the special request and sometimes I guess even the venue will play a part. Probably not going to go in for a full on punk gig at Union Chapel for example.
As long as the show is good and I have fun I am pretty forgiving on bands set lists. I have found there to be a danger when bands play that obscure number that you love, if not enough people know it, it can kill that part of the show and while you want to be in bliss at hearing your fave song it gets ruined by people chatting all around you.

I wouldn't mind more Tape Deck Heart stuff though, you know make the show longer. I am always up for more songs.

Unorthadox1080

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I know what you mean, but if that's the songs frank wants to play then that's great, I'd hate to think he's only playing the songs he does because half the crowd don't know anything else, he should just play what he feels like playing on that particular night, would lead to a better show IMO, but who am I to tell him how to do his job haha.

DecanoLP

Post by DecanoLP » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Baudelaire wrote:Sorry Frank! Don't mean to be a dick, but for me, the usual setlist is getting old. You're pretty much guaranteed the same basic, 60% EKMB, greatest hits, setlist every show, with the odd one or two (if you're lucky) rarity thrown in. And I fear with an arena tour coming up, this won't change. It seems that it is catering purely for the newer fans (as you have blown up massively lately, and congrats on that!). But I feel you neglect a massive amount of awesome songs, in favour of playing the same ones day in day out.

Maybe it's just me. And sorry again (I still love you Frank).
I agree :/

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Unorthadox1080 wrote:I know what you mean, but if that's the songs frank wants to play then that's great, I'd hate to think he's only playing the songs he does because half the crowd don't know anything else, he should just play what he feels like playing on that particular night, would lead to a better show IMO, but who am I to tell him how to do his job haha.
I think in terms of ticket sales that is quite a naive statement, not in a bad way but in a dare to dream way. :D

Maybe I see music differently but I think once the artist has released it becomes partly the property of the listener* thus if you want people to come to your shows you will need to play what the listener will want to hear. Most listeners will want the singles, the big ones, the singalongs and the dancealongs. Unless you are going to something like Philharmonia Orchestra performing Strauss you aren't going to a Frank show to sit reverently appreciating every note, you go for a fun night out. Say for instance as an extreme example of that, Frank turns up and thinks "fuck this I want to play covers tonight" then I for one would be pretty pissed off. I like singing my heart out to The Road. I haven't gone along to hear him play some strange b side from 2007. A song which probably will now sound incredibly dated and out of place next to newer material.
If you then think that the masses will hear the big ones a lot more than the b sides, more people will then relate and be open to a set which they have formed emotional attachments to those songs.
What would be fun about a gig where most people are stood around shuffling their toes, texting and chatting because an artist has come along with a diva complex and only wants to play to his hardcore front row who know that b side from the first single?
I honestly get just a big a kick out of a crowd going mental around me as to the artist playing on stage. Take that away and I wouldn't be bothered about gigging.

*by this I mean, music and any art is open to interpretation, you give a song out to the world you cannot expect it to have the same meaning to you as the listener. They bring their own history to that song. It becomes part of them, I do not mean that songs all should be for free or that the listener gets to chose how its played live or made or anything like that. More that when its out there, there is no retraction, there is no say from the artist on what the listener will bring to that piece.

From other bands I have seen a lot, Frank actually does mix up his set more. He will also pop in a request, or a new one.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm

I love Frank's shows because, more than most live bands I've seen, he makes you feel like part of something bigger, maybe even something important, at least in that moment. I don't get that from anyone else much lately and don't go to many shows anymore, but Frank's shows feel more inclusive (granted I see him in the US where 500 is a good crowd for him yet). So much of that is the audience participation in him playing the greats off each album and maybe throwing in something new or a B side of old. If 3/4 of the audience didn't know and couldn't easily learn the words to most of the songs, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Given the number of requests he gets and accepts, I am always impressed with his set lists.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Baudelaire wrote:Maybe it's just me. And sorry again (I still love you Frank).
It's not just you. I'm getting a bit bored of the setlist, but then like Moomin said, it's my fault for going to so many gigs. I'd love it if Peggy and Glory got dropped as permanent fixtures (it's ok from time to time, like Substitute but every gig, I get bored of them)

I do think more of TDH should be played. It's the current album and got to #2 so it's not like people aren't going to be familiar with the songs.

minorkeys

Post by minorkeys » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Blonde wrote:
I do think more of TDH should be played. It's the current album and got to #2 so it's not like people aren't going to be familiar with the songs.
I agree with you! When I was at Reading, it was definitely Recovery and The Way I Tend To Be that got the most singalongs. I guess they are the recent singles, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear people singing along with the other tracks as well from TDH. I guess choosing a set list depend on lots of things but I do enjoy the crowd participation for the more well known songs, and I love the way the songs grow and develop the more I hear them played live.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:28 pm

just a quick thought on this. obviously, each to their own and all that. here's an example of my dilemma tho: redemption. it's easily the most requested song i have, people ask for it all the time. every time we play it, the atmosphere is lame, and the vast majority of the people in the room don't care / start talking or whatever. the energy levels just crash. which is weird, but there it is. i want to play a set that satisfies me, but at the same time, i'm trying to build an atmosphere, an energy in the room, and to do that you have, to some extent, to play things people know. you can do a set to please the die-hards that will leave the majority of the crowd cold, which isn't really what I want.

i also think the set has revolved a fair bit, i usually check out what we played the last time we were in a given place before writing the set, and in the last 2 years the set has chopped around a lot.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:44 pm

I know quite a few people who would love it if you dropped The Road. But I love that live and part of it is down to the reaction it gets from the crowd.

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:48 pm

really don't think I would like to hear Redemption live now

however if we can start asking for more songs to be added I do have a list :P

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:20 pm

To be fair, he's an entertainer, if the majority of the people in the room aren't entertained then he's doing his job badly. And since the majority in the room are rarely going to be the super fans who know every lyric to every song and have their favourite song as an exceptionally obscure one from a limited release. They're gonna be the ones who are there for the hits and then get to like the more obscure songs.

I go to 1-3 frank shows a year, so I suppose it hasn't started boring me at all, the problem comes when people go to 15 shows in a row. Of course there's gonna be a lot of repeats.... think about it from the point of view of someone who is only going to go to one show for definite..... they better hear their favourite songs or they'll give up.
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:35 pm

minidazzler wrote:I go to 1-3 frank shows a year, so I suppose it hasn't started boring me at all, the problem comes when people go to 15 shows in a row. Of course there's gonna be a lot of repeats.... think about it from the point of view of someone who is only going to go to one show for definite..... they better hear their favourite songs or they'll give up.
Yeah also this. I've recently started asking how many people are seeing me n the Souls for the first time. Every night it's a lot of people, usually about half the crowd...
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

SB

Post by SB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 pm

And, to be fair to Frank, for the two shows in Brooklyn, as he was aware a lot of the crowd were going to both nights, the set list was changed a fair bit. Again showing that the set list is chosen for the majority of the crowd.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

frank wrote:Yeah also this. I've recently started asking how many people are seeing me n the Souls for the first time. Every night it's a lot of people, usually about half the crowd...
Excellent point. I am seeing 4 consecutive shows in November, and bringing people to each one for their first time. They would be disappointed not to hear the songs I have given them to listen to. So I totally get it.

However, I may still have to whine for a birthday request. :wink:

darlene
shows? 90 so far...