Tattoo Ban

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

LoveStreet

Tattoo Ban

Post by LoveStreet » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Came across this article and I was stunned. No one has the right to tell you what to do with your body. http://politicalblindspot.com/bill-to-b ... es-senate/
(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

metronome

Re: Tattoo Ban

Post by metronome » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Wow, this is ridiculous. Some of the comments (I know, you should never read the comments) are equally baffling
1376 1419 1421 1423 1441 1522 (MH 8) 1615 1790 1793 1984 2160

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

It's Arkansas. I am unsurprised.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:09 am

"If the freedom of speech [read: expression] is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” - Washington

Acquiescence and apathy are a fucking epidemic in North America. Hurts my heart. We elect these people, and this is what they propose? Fuck you, Arkansasian Senators; may you hear the prolonged needle buzzing on my next VERY cosmetic tattoo, and may it shake your very foundations. And actually the one after the next one is "pacem sine acquiescentia" (peace without acquiescence), so I hope you feel that one even more.
Finally, I hope you can see this, because I'm doing it as hard as I can... *raises transcontinental middle finger*
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

LoveStreet

Post by LoveStreet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:15 am

Venomous_Bear wrote:*raises transcontinental middle finger*
This made me smile really hard. :D

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:32 am

As much as I love you, VB, and you know I gives you some serious wuvs, it's not apathy. It's Arkansas. They are all for banning that ungodly shit. Cause reasons and Jesus and guns and fuck you, that's why.

Mel, Mississippi Native, who thanks og for Arkansas so Miszippi ain't last.

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am

LOL you're so sweet, m'lady. I'm glad you brought that up. You can always feel free to cut my opinions down with vicious rhetoric if we disagree on things, because we are buds and I know you're not malicious in your intent. That goes for everyone on here, unless you specifically use incendiary language and call me names that make me feel bad about myself. And actually, even then, if I deserve it, name call away!! I don't take political discussion personally. Or really any discussion.

You bring up a good point though. I know I am not from there, so my view is skewed by the few people I know from Arkansas and the surrounding states. As I understand it, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The majority of folks are moderate and have stopped caring about politics (but this is not how you say it is, so maybe it's more like "some"). My friend Hannah moved to NYC, as she figured it was easier to leave than live where she didn't agree with the politics. So that's the reason for my comment on lack of participation. Also, because it's happening in Canada as well; our government keeps passing "omnibus" bills that cover everything from environmental regulations to healthcare decisions. They have a slight majority and a split opposition, so unless our MPs bail from their fearless leader, we get a whole bunch of new, bullshit laws. Election is in 2015, parliament prorogued for now. Unelected senate busy using taxpayer money for expenses. Even if I were conservative and sided with them, this is not democracy. Stay out of our shit, true north strong and free, etc.

I could see our government trying to shove through something like this as well. Just throw it into the omnibus and let it fester. "No way, they wouldn't do that." Oh? We've done nothing about any of the other bullshit laws they shoved through. Why not this? Takes one loser to suggest it...
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 am

Hahahaha can you imagine if I posted a quote about free speech and then got sad that you disagreed with me? ;)

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 pm

I think a lot of it is apathy, really, and just extreme shortsightedness. I suspect there was a good intention somewhere; perhaps 2 or 3 people got near fatal infections from a dermal implant and some doctors said that should really be considered a "medical procedure" and thus the bill was written. It's the unintentional consequences that usually fuck the whole thing up. (And thus the root of the problem of all forms of statism). And most people are like, well that's not me, so I don't care.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:21 am

agirlnamedfred wrote:I think a lot of it is apathy, really, and just extreme shortsightedness. I suspect there was a good intention somewhere; perhaps 2 or 3 people got near fatal infections from a dermal implant and some doctors said that should really be considered a "medical procedure" and thus the bill was written. It's the unintentional consequences that usually fuck the whole thing up. (And thus the root of the problem of all forms of statism). And most people are like, well that's not me, so I don't care.
Maybe some of it, sure. I'm probably biased in that I deal with my red state family far, far too often. And policy on the fly is ridiculous and has unintended consequences.

But I suspect at least some of it is not letting freaks and godless hippies look like freaks and godless hippies.

LoveStreet

Post by LoveStreet » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:28 am

Gleena wrote:
agirlnamedfred wrote:I think a lot of it is apathy, really, and just extreme shortsightedness. I suspect there was a good intention somewhere; perhaps 2 or 3 people got near fatal infections from a dermal implant and some doctors said that should really be considered a "medical procedure" and thus the bill was written. It's the unintentional consequences that usually fuck the whole thing up. (And thus the root of the problem of all forms of statism). And most people are like, well that's not me, so I don't care.
Maybe some of it, sure. I'm probably biased in that I deal with my red state family far, far too often. And policy on the fly is ridiculous and has unintended consequences.

But I suspect at least some of it is not letting freaks and godless hippies look like freaks and godless hippies.
But isn't that the issue at debate? The government doesn't have the right. They might "own" you via Social Security Number or Birth Certificate, but what you walk around wearing on the flesh is your own business, your birthright.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:37 am

Gleena wrote:

Eh, red state, blue state, it's all the damn same. What's that expression? Republicans want to control your bedroom and Democrats want to control every other room in the house. I don't want them telling me whom I can love, what I can do with my body, or what kind of light bulbs I can use.

Feeling a little hopeless on the topic lately.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 am

I tried finding objective info on this and it was so hard to find a source without political bent. Senator Irvin's comments reek of southern conservative ignorance. She compares these "nontraditional body art and skin implants" to "female circumcision" in Africa.. Look at her voting record and the things she voted for below and you will see she is a whack job. Unfortunately there is a Republican majority, so even if they don't agree with her, they will vote with her most likely. (However, the 4 dissenting votes were Republicans). If I had to guess, her strong opinion against abortion figures into this as an agenda for her in some way.

http://votesmart.org/candidate/119194/m ... hleL5i9CGk

However, this is American democracy and we have to exercise our voting rights, and get these crazy bastards out! Problem is, it IS Arkansas. :?

darlene
shows? 90 so far...

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:14 am

It may well have a root in pro-life causes. If they can make it where dermal implantation is defined as a "medical treatment" and only allowed to happen in certain "medical facilities" then maybe they can limit the locations of a certain other medical procedure to only certain other medical facilities.

And the comments from Senator David Burnett really bother me, probably because of his history as judge of the first West Memphis Three trial: "Sen. David Burnett used the question time to announce that tongue-splitting was 'the grossest thing I've ever heard of.'"

But I don't see the marginalization of a party as helpful in the end though. The end I have in sight, when I'm not blinking back tears of impending defeat anyway, is one in which people embrace the idea that the government doesn't control them.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:26 am

agirlnamedfred wrote:It may well have a root in pro-life causes. If they can make it where dermal implantation is defined as a "medical treatment" and only allowed to happen in certain "medical facilities" then maybe they can limit the locations of a certain other medical procedure to only certain other medical facilities.
Ah, that may be it. But the whole thing makes me forlorn, and fills me with hopelessness.
shows? 90 so far...