Gaslight anthem - live music vs films

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Gleena

Re: Gaslight anthem - live music vs films

Post by Gleena » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:47 am

Craven wrote:
oakworth wrote:I'm not sure a Frank crowd would be so demanding, mainly because:

1. He always delivers, regardless of set list;
2. We all respect him too much to behave in such a way.

Maybe GA don't have the same sort of following?
I think that as Franks fanbase widens that this is something he will have to deal with. Frank always does a great setlist for shows but as he releases more music there will be songs we consider undroppable now will be dropped. Newer fans might have only listened to the newest album and will expect him to play all of that when seeing him live.

I can't wait for Reading Festival next week. I've seen interviews of Frank talking about festival set lists and how generally you play your hits, but after the huge success of TDH will he sneak more of that in?
But he's already dropped some 'undroppable' stuff - Thatcher (for other reasons, but still), he seldom does Ballad of Me & My Friends anymore, or any of his political things like Practical Anarchy. I can't see him dropping Photosynthesis or anything, but who knows? My Frank list has 156 songs on it, he's got quite a catalogue, but he'll play his huge things and drop some other still popular things for newer stuff. I suspect it's place dependent as well - he's very well known in the UK (and maybe Europe, I can't say) but not as well in the US or Australia, so I would think those setlists would be different.

Think of the howls he got dropping Thatcher, though. I don't envy him.

I just can't ever see myself howling for a song at a show. It just seems so....rude, I dunno. Ick. I can see GA's frustration, even if they aren't my favourite thing.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 am

No-one really cared about him dropping Thatcher, only the people who liked only that song and wanted Frank to be Billy Bragg. I think ballad was much more undroppable, I miss it.
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Craven

Post by Craven » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 am

Gleena wrote:
But he's already dropped some 'undroppable' stuff - Thatcher (for other reasons, but still), he seldom does Ballad of Me & My Friends anymore, or any of his political things like Practical Anarchy. I can't see him dropping Photosynthesis or anything, but who knows? My Frank list has 156 songs on it, he's got quite a catalogue, but he'll play his huge things and drop some other still popular things for newer stuff. I suspect it's place dependent as well - he's very well known in the UK (and maybe Europe, I can't say) but not as well in the US or Australia, so I would think those setlists would be different.

Think of the howls he got dropping Thatcher, though. I don't envy him.

I just can't ever see myself howling for a song at a show. It just seems so....rude, I dunno. Ick. I can see GA's frustration, even if they aren't my favourite thing.
Franks made his reasons clear for not playing political stuff anymore and Ballad (but he's gone back on that) so nobody expects him to play that stuff and those that don't like that probably no longer go to his shows. If GA had come out and said "we ain't playing X,Y and Z anymore and definitely no covers" before the last tour instead of releasing this blog after the tour they might have been heckled less.
683 727 909 1081 1082 1139 1216 1258 1289 1381 1442 1522 1539 1585 1611 1615 1681 1720 1790 1889 1955

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 am

Tomasz wrote:No-one really cared about him dropping Thatcher, only the people who liked only that song and wanted Frank to be Billy Bragg. I think ballad was much more undroppable, I miss it.
This. I'd never state Thatcher as being undroppable. Trying to look at this from the outside and I'd say Frank has more "hits" than GA, so even if some were dropped (like Ballad) there's always plenty of others that the majority of the crowd want to hear.

Unorthadox1080

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Trying to look at this from the outside and I'd say Frank has more "hits" than GA
You're definitely right about that, thinking about it though that's probably a big reason why I like the Gaslight Anthem so much because you never know what you're going to hear when you go and see them, every time I've seen them they've played 4 or 5 random songs off each album which I think is a good idea. I can see why this might be a turn off for people who like them but don't know their stuff that well meaning it's probably a good thing for Frank that he has so many "hits"

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Unorthadox1080 wrote:I can see why this might be a turn off for people who like them but don't know their stuff that well meaning it's probably a good thing for Frank that he has so many "hits"
This is how I am for the majority of gigs I go to. You want at least a couple of songs you're familiar with when you go to a gig.

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 pm

I defer to the judgement of others about Thatcher, and in any case you're right in that those people stopped turning up anyway. I hadn't thought of it like that.

I think the over all point stands. If I made one.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Fans who get pissed off because a band won't or don't play their favourite song are annoying as fook. If you are really a fan, the way to show it isn't to shout out obscure songs to show you're better than everyone else. It's to just enjoy the show.

The Gaslight Anthem are a band with a fair few songs, chances are they aren't in perfect time for all those songs at any given time. So they can't play the songs at the drop of the hat, they have a set list the way they want the gig to go, how they want to manipulate the crowds feelings, And THAT folks, is entertainment.

If you want a band or person to play a specific song it's really as easy as hitting them up on twitter the day before, not on the day of the show. I'd never shout the song I want unless, as frank does on occasion at small shows, the artist asks for requests.

As for asking for covers..... No, just no. Unless it's a cover by a relative unknown, (you can't choose the one that you love) that you know the artist does, then just don't.

Asking for Bruce Springsteen Covers..... that's a mortal sin. Bruce Springsteen is fantastic, but his fans are one trick ponies who want everyone to be just like him, to the point of doing loads of his songs. If you want a Cover band, go to the pub and watch whoever the fook is playing.

To shorten, They are entertainers, there to entertain a crowd. It's not entertaining to listen to a set list that is jarring to the ears because it's a fan picking their favourite songs in a terrible order that provides no flow or segues into stories.

Brian was right, though, he didn't phrase it as tactfully as he could. The biggest problem he will face is that the people it's directed at won't realise that they are the problem, he's surely talking about OTHER people, not ME!
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:03 am

Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 am

Brian should lighten up. Whilst I can appreciate that the incident he describes was annoying, I reckon it would be wiser if he just got on with it and concentrated on the music. It is precisely this kind of stuff that puts me off Gaslight Anthem.
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 *1216* 1257/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 *1700* 1704/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 *2000* 2076/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55 2339/40/41/42/43/55/58/76