Gaslight anthem - live music vs films

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Tomasz

Gaslight anthem - live music vs films

Post by Tomasz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:48 am

http://thegaslightanthem.tumblr.com/

I appreciate that Brian is annoyed by people shouting for Springsteen/Springsteen songs during their set, but I don't see the similarity between a live gig and a film at all. If they were the same I'd just sit at home and watch a music DVD, much less effort than going out to a show.
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

drinkthesunshinezine

Re: Gaslight anthem - live music vs films

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 pm

I think that people should stop shouting requests, full stop. Let the band/artist decide what they are going to play. It especially annoys me when people shout for really obscure stuff that isn't that great anyway - it's just old.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

moomin

Post by moomin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 pm

I thought one of the points of the blog was that movies and live shows aren't the same?

I don't mind requests as long as it isn't the whole gig for the same one song - that gets a bit old. Its the idiots who won't shut up and are constantly taking selfies whilst screaming for that one song, who when the song comes on (tends to be the big one) screams its their favourite song and continue to shout their conversation over it and take more selfies.
I hate those people

Otherwise I can kinda get over any thing else

Unorthadox1080

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm

The thing that annoys me about requests is that the majority of bands write their setlist on the night meaning the songs they plan on playing are the songs they feel like playing which should mean it's the songs they'll perform the best due to how they feel. To me requests skew that a bit. However I can't help but admire how smooth bruce is in the way he handles requests. Another thing that annoys me is bands that shape the majority of the setlist around songs they know are the most popular, I understand that they do it to keep the atmosphere as good as possible and not to lose the attention of the crowd but I'd much prefer they just played a handful of the most popular songs throughout the set and worry less about that and just play what the band actually wants to play. Maybe I'm talking shit as usual but I feel like if the bands having fun the crowd will have fun anyway even if the majority of the set isn't songs that everyone in the room is going to know.
Last edited by Unorthadox1080 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Tomasz wrote:http://thegaslightanthem.tumblr.com/

I appreciate that Brian is annoyed by people shouting for Springsteen/Springsteen songs during their set, but I don't see the similarity between a live gig and a film at all. If they were the same I'd just sit at home and watch a music DVD, much less effort than going out to a show.
I kind of understand what he means. When you see a film in theatres for the first time, you might have read reviews, you might love the work of the actors, have seen every movie they've been in, but you just don't know if you'll love it or hate it, or if it speaks to you until you've seen it. You just don't know.

Same with live music - I love FT's music, I'm familiar with his work, I've listened to his albums, but I might go to a show and he might not play my favourite songs, or play something else he wants to play, and I might not love it. I might hate it, I might be disappointed, I just don't know.

That's the same gamble if you buy that movie ticket or that ticket to a live show.

And Brian has a point. It makes the artists pissed off, and it pisses off people who are there to see the artists. It takes me right out of the space I'm in with some wanker yelling in my ear for an artist to play something else.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:53 am

Gleena wrote:And Brian has a point. It makes the artists pissed off, and it pisses off people who are there to see the artists. It takes me right out of the space I'm in with some wanker yelling in my ear for an artist to play something else.
I went to a Revival Tour show in a small venue, and there was a group of drunken annoying people yelling out the name of an obscure Chuck Ragan song after each number (even the other RT performers' sets). Then they would act openly disappointed when it wasn't played. However, being the lovely that he is, Chuck handled the situation beautifully with style and grace. Quite the gent.
shows? 90 so far...

Bella

Post by Bella » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:38 pm

There are a couple of things in this piece that I think he’s trying to make a pretty clear point about

Covers

“….I feel it necessary to address that we are The Gaslight Anthem. We play Gaslight Anthem songs. We’re not the band you think we may be akin to. My name isn’t Bruce, It’s not Eddie, or Joe, or Paul either. If you’d like to hear their songs they are readily available and the former two tour quite often. You should go see them, they put on great shows. They play long sets over two hours sometimes. It’s truly amazing to watch them at their craft. But again, we’re not them…”

I agree with him – going to a concert and expecting the band on stage to play someone else’s songs when they have TONS of their own material is just wrong! Really, really wrong!

There are a number of bands/musicians whom I love in their own right, who I have also heard cover other people’s songs and love the covers they perform – if we get a cover on the night I go and see them I count it as a BONUS.

It is NOT something I expect to see.

The only time I would shout out for a cover is if the person on stage asks the audience if they have a preference for a cover they could play.... “So we normally play a cover at this point in our set – what do you want to hear?”

Changes

“Bands who have long careers change. Drastically. That doesn’t mean they no longer like what they did in the past or what got them where they are. It means they have to create and be true to who they are RIGHT NOW, not be true to what people want them to be. …… The ticket doesn’t promise what happened at a show three years ago, or five years ago, or ten years from now. Live music is beautiful that way, because it’s that night only. It’ll never be that show again. …”

Don’t go to a show expecting the exact same songs you saw at the last show, for a number of reasons. Like he said – its not a movie.. its not going to be the same running order (scene 1 followed by scene 2 followed by scene 3… till the end) or set list every time. As well as that though – the band matures, the people in the band have matured, and more songs get written along the way.

At a bands first show they might have written twelve songs total. By their one thousandth show they might have written sixty songs, so don’t go to the one thousandth show expecting to hear the same twelve songs that were played at their first ever gig – not going to happen so stop shouting for just those songs.

Personal vs Private vs Stage Performance

“I love the movie Kill Bill. I love Uma Thurman, but no matter how hard I wish or yell at the screen, or insult, or wave my hands. She’s not coming over after the film…. She’s not gonna make out with me because I think she’s pretty. She doesn’t owe me anything because I like her or her movies. She is not her work.
I am not my work. ..”

Again to me this is pretty clear – just because the people on stage are singing a love song does not mean they are in love with you.

Just because you have been to 20 gigs/40 gigs/ 100+ gigs - it does not make you a part of the band. You have no say over the set list. You have no right to insist that you get to talk to the band each night (if they CHOOSE to talk to you that is a BONUS).

Musicians are real people. They have private lives that they wish to keep private and that includes who they are dating who they are friends with and ANY other thing that they wish to be private. Just because you don’t know of that person has a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/partner doesn’t mean they don’t have one. It is never going to matter how much you love what they do on stage – that does not give you the right, or expectation to get make out with them after the show, or be their best buddy just because you talked to them once (or twice) or anything else!

I think we are all very lucky – we get to talk to a fair few musicians on a regular basis, and as long as we treat them like they are real people, allow them to have their space and a private life, accept that no means no and they are not being mean, or acting like a diva if they want/ask for privacy, then it should be ok. They will want to talk us as long as we stick to some very basic rules – treat them like people!

Never expect stuff to happen because it happened before – take it as is it and anything else is a bonus.

Umm yeah – so that’s what I think

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

oakworth

Post by oakworth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am

Hmm, interesting points by BF. While I understand where he's coming from, the general tone doesn't sit well for me. I've seen GL a few times and have all their albums. However, I still can't work out if I genuinely like them. This is mainly because at best a lot of their songs are a little samey. I also find Brian a little awkward as a front man. Of all the bands I've seen, GL are the only one I've seen people streaming out of before the end of the gig. They don't have many 'core' songs (2 maybe 3), but they have a habit of not playing them. Is it that unreasonable for fans to expect to hear 59 Song or American Song?,its not as if they have 15 albums to select from. As for Bruce, well I would suggest GL have done extremely well out of that link. On the whole its all a bit self indulgent for me.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 am

oakworth wrote: Is it that unreasonable for fans to expect to hear 59 Song or American Song?,its not as if they have 15 albums to select from.
I'd be disappointed if I saw Gaslight Anthem and they didn't play 59 Sound or American Slang. I want some 'hits' when I see a band play.

As for fans shouting out requests. I've never seen anything as bad as when I saw Nizlopi at a festival the other week. Everyone was chanting "JCB Song" between songs, despite the band saying they would play it and everyone knowing it would be their last song. Felt a bit bad for them.

Unorthadox1080

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 pm

oakworth wrote:They don't have many 'core' songs (2 maybe 3), but they have a habit of not playing them.
Don't they play 59 sound, handwritten and 45 pretty much every gig?

oakworth

Post by oakworth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:10 pm

They certainly dropped American Slang for a while this year. Not having a pop at BF, just think he may turn people off with some of his comments. Not sure it speaks well of where they are as a band. I'm not sure a Frank crowd would be so demanding, mainly because:

1. He always delivers, regardless of set list;
2. We all respect him too much to behave in such a way.

Maybe GA don't have the same sort of following?

AliceE67

Post by AliceE67 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Seems to me he is having some growing pains with popularity....just sayin.. not everybody makes music. Next record should be interesting.

marowak

Post by marowak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Blonde wrote:. I've never seen anything as bad as when I saw Nizlopi at a festival the other week. Everyone was chanting "JCB Song" between songs, despite the band saying they would play it and everyone knowing it would be their last song. Felt a bit bad for them.
If I were them - I'd have played it at the start to get it out the way.

Did they actually have other songs tho?
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:35 pm

marowak wrote:
Blonde wrote:. I've never seen anything as bad as when I saw Nizlopi at a festival the other week. Everyone was chanting "JCB Song" between songs, despite the band saying they would play it and everyone knowing it would be their last song. Felt a bit bad for them.
If I were them - I'd have played it at the start to get it out the way.

Did they actually have other songs tho?
And then play to 3 people for the rest of their set? They have more songs, there was one they said Ed Sheeran covered. They're alright but it's not making me want to buy their albums or anything. The way the double bass player beatboxed and used his bass as a drum was quite good. They seem like nice blokes though.

Craven

Post by Craven » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:13 am

oakworth wrote:I'm not sure a Frank crowd would be so demanding, mainly because:

1. He always delivers, regardless of set list;
2. We all respect him too much to behave in such a way.

Maybe GA don't have the same sort of following?
I think that as Franks fanbase widens that this is something he will have to deal with. Frank always does a great setlist for shows but as he releases more music there will be songs we consider undroppable now will be dropped. Newer fans might have only listened to the newest album and will expect him to play all of that when seeing him live.

I can't wait for Reading Festival next week. I've seen interviews of Frank talking about festival set lists and how generally you play your hits, but after the huge success of TDH will he sneak more of that in?
683 727 909 1081 1082 1139 1216 1258 1289 1381 1442 1522 1539 1585 1611 1615 1681 1720 1790 1889 1955