I can't figure out which album!

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

nickcarraway

I can't figure out which album!

Post by nickcarraway » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi everyone!

I spent a weekend at a friend's house and he was constantly listening to a Frank Turner lp. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what album he said it was. I was going to order one online, but can't seem to find which one to get. I don't really remember the name of any songs, so I'm going to try to give a short description of some of the tracks and see if anyone can help me out:

- One of the songs on the first side started off acoustically, but ended with him belting out this loud, punk-rock chant as he sang the chorus over and over. Stellar.
- Another song started with soft piano, before turning into this all-out full band-featured Springsteen-inspired rock ballad.
- One song kept making references to ancient history, which was really cool, and another made reference to other artists like Hemingway, Bob Dylan, Black Flag,
- Quite a few songs dealt with depression due to romantic interests and/or drug abuse. I guess this is a phase he was going through for this album. Anyone have any idea?
- While I can't remember the exact album title, I'm pretty sure it came from a small lyric obscuredly placed in a non-album single.

Please help, I'd love to pick it up!

Pete

Re: I can't figure out which album!

Post by Pete » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:39 pm

England Keep My Bones, the name of the backing band (the Sleeping Souls) came from the lyric in I Am Disappeared.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Pete wrote:England Keep My Bones, the name of the backing band (the Sleeping Souls) came from the lyric in I Am Disappeared.
I assumed this was a joke post: "One of the songs on the first side started off acoustically, but ended with him belting out this loud, punk-rock chant as he sang the chorus over and over. Stellar." - oh THAT one...

Why could you simply not ask your mate?
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 pm

It honestly describes at least the last three albums in pretty good accuracy, depending perhaps on how one defines "ancient history" (English Curse, Sons of Liberty, perhaps even (song) Love, Ire and Song). I vote buy them all! You won't be disappointed.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

js2

Post by js2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Whether intentional or not, this is a list of Frank Turner clichés. I mean this in the best way possible.
26/11/11, 13/11/12, 17/4/13, 9/2/14, 28/6/14(MH)
Next: 29/1/15

Tumblr:
http://letsbeheroesletsbemartyrs.tumblr.com
Other interests include Manic Street Preachers, future of the left, the unbelievable hopelessness of the human race and really bad jokes.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:49 pm

England Keep My Bones doesn't have the title mentioned as a lyric anywhere does it?

My first thought was Tape Deck Heart. But anyway, I'm sure a quick text message to your mate would have sorted it more quickly! Dying to know the answer now...
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Black Flag bars make me think Tape Deck Heart.

But it doesn't reconcile with the rest of the clues.

Hmm...

Mel, who spent the morning re-reading stuff about the Fisher King while nursing a cold. Thanks, Frank.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:45 pm

Maybe the friend was shuffling all their FT albums.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

TheOneWorthLeaving

Post by TheOneWorthLeaving » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:10 am

You might as well buy them all, you're going to anyway.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:57 am

I think he's referring to England Keep My Bones, based on "One song kept making references to ancient history, which was really cool" (English curse) "and another made reference to other artists like Hemingway, Bob Dylan, Black Flag, " (I Am Disappeared?)
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 pm

Go to YouTube. Listen to as many Frank Turner songs as you can find until you recognise one. See what it's called. Come back here and say "The album with [insert song title here] on it." We will guide you from there.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:51 pm

My guess is England Keep My Bones- the album that got me hooked!

Welcome to the club!

newmy

Post by newmy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm pretty sure I agree with Evan here.
Evan wrote:
I assumed this was a joke post: