Frank Turner: Sellout

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

js2

Frank Turner: Sellout

Post by js2 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:52 pm

So I was looking at Frank's Facebook post about doing what can only be described as a metric fuck-tonne of dates internationally, and roughly half the comments are accusing him of forgetting his roots and selling out for not playing the UK.

I know that the 'sell-out' thing gets put about a lot, but Frank has said on here that he'll be back around as soon as he can, after touring here twice in a couple of months. He last played a date here in April. Three months ago - these fuckwits acknowledge that it's been three months and believe that to be too long. This April tour followed a 28-date stint in November.

Is this selfishness, jaded punk purism, ignorance or just some new kind of mental deficiency that I've missed somehow?
26/11/11, 13/11/12, 17/4/13, 9/2/14, 28/6/14(MH)
Next: 29/1/15

Tumblr:
http://letsbeheroesletsbemartyrs.tumblr.com
Other interests include Manic Street Preachers, future of the left, the unbelievable hopelessness of the human race and really bad jokes.

darlenet.

Re: Frank Turner: Sellout

Post by darlenet. » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:13 am

js2 wrote:Is this selfishness, jaded punk purism, ignorance or just some new kind of mental deficiency that I've missed somehow?
Obviously, the "selling out" and "forgetting his roots" thing has no validity and couldn't be farther from the truth. I rather suspect it's just disappointment for having to wait for more live performances coupled with the ability to instantly respond (before thinking) on the Internet. Or.... i guess it could be maybe what you said. :wink:
shows? 90 so far...

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:49 am

I never understood the concept of "sell out" anyway. I mean, I guess if your song becomes synonymous with toothpaste then MAYBE... But if you are a really good rocket engineer, should you hold back your success and not pursue the next job opportunity to be true to your "roots"? What if you are a really good fry cook? You should never strive to own your own restaurant but rather work overnights at a Denny's all your life to avoid being a "sell out". (North American here, sorry if Denny's is not appropriate. Basically it's a 24 hour breakfast and burger type place).

And I've no first hand experience but I have heard that people in North America are more willing to travel for concerts than people in the UK. At the last show I went to I met people who had driven 12 hours to be there. I have traveled 4 to 5 hours twice to see him and will be doing the same twice this fall.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

SB

Post by SB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:27 am

You are very right about people not being as willing to travel to shows in the UK. I love travel, and see gigs as an excuse to see the country/world, but you often hear people say, "why aren't you coming to x, looks like I'll miss out again" when the band or whoever are playing y and hour down the road. It actually is so nonsensical.

As for selling out? What a bullshit phrase that is.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:04 am

agirlnamedfred wrote:And I've no first hand experience but I have heard that people in North America are more willing to travel for concerts than people in the UK. At the last show I went to I met people who had driven 12 hours to be there. I have traveled 4 to 5 hours twice to see him and will be doing the same twice this fall.
We're spoiled in the UK, it's roughly the size of Michigan and people play in several venues. It's rare I have to travel further than Birmingham (half an hour away), maybe Manchester (1.5 hours) or worst case London (2ish hours). Many people are willing to travel, I go to London for gigs all the time, and I've been to California for a gig previously, it's just that we generally don't have to, and that makes us a bit spoiled and moany when someone doesn't play in our actual town. Thankfully Frank generally remembers that the West Midlands exists (not all bands do) so I don't have to complain, but people did kick up a fuss a few years ago when he played Wolverhampton rather than Birmingham (15ish miles apart, I've walked from one to the other when drunk in the past) - mental.

Mind you, saying all that, Frank announced a massive US tour recently and Americans moaned about that, so it's not just us :)
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

marowak

Post by marowak » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:14 am

an artist cannot make a living by just playing in one single country ... some people really are dicks.
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 am

Tomasz wrote:
agirlnamedfred wrote:
Mind you, saying all that, Frank announced a massive US tour recently and Americans moaned about that, so it's not just us :)
Did they call him a sell out though? Either way it's a strange thing to complain about. I do feel for people who live in Nebraska or Saskatchewan or something and the nearest show is a day's drive away. I feel less bad for someone whose nearest concert is 15 miles.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Unfortunately always going to be a consequence of success and people's never-ending propensity to a) whinge and b) be precious.

FYI Frank - fuck you, when was the last time you played my front room? You utter bastard. etc.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:09 pm

I think the thing that frustrates me most about it is the lack of joined up thinking. I get email threads that go like this:
Q. Announce a UK tour already! Fuck America!
A. Announcing one soon, don't panic, and America (or Europe or wherever) is also full of nice, normal people.
Q. (After UK tour is announced) I don't want to see you in big venues like that, fuck that!
A. ...
Q. (After warm up show at the Joiners is announced and sells out in 2 minutes) I didn't get tickets! Not fair! Put me on the guestlist!
A. ...kill me.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:58 pm

People can be very strange, they have odd ways of showing their love!? Personally I am amazed at how inclusive and thoughtful you lot are, perhaps that's the trouble, folks think they own you and want your blood. But hey don't sweat it most of us have common sense and a bit of savvy. Cheers for all your hard work!

KangarooAlice

Post by KangarooAlice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Some people are just tossers, with far too much time on their hands.
"I'm not hungover, I have the Booze Blues!!"

Sami

Post by Sami » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Sometimes I really, really, really wonder how easy it's nowdays with modern technology and everything to get information about things (like Frank Turner gigs)...and people still cant get that fucking information anywhere and they have to ask these stupid questions and shit. And usually the answer is so easy to find themself. I know everyone isnt useless guys like me with too much time on their hands to search every goddamn detail or something, but still. It really isnt that hard.
Frank. Just keep on doing, whats youre doing :!:
1326, 1327, 1385, 1527, 1536

reitzel6570

Post by reitzel6570 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 pm

We're spoiled in the UK, it's roughly the size of Michigan and people play in several venues. It's rare I have to travel further than Birmingham (half an hour away), maybe Manchester (1.5 hours) or worst case London (2ish hours).
I consider anything within a 3.5 hour drive to be a "local" show, because I can make the drive back and forth without having to spend the night. If I'm spending the night, I have no issues at all with a 7 hour drive. So even though I live in America, which is the size of.....America, I'll have been at 15 shows this year by the end of November. This is mostly because Frank and the Sleeping Souls, and crew, are one of the hardest working bands out there. Who else has such a punishing tour schedule? And still takes the time to speak with everyone who wants to after a show when he's dead tired? Sellout? Not at all.

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:24 pm

agirlnamedfred wrote:I never understood the concept of "sell out" anyway

Why some people get miffed when a lesser-known artist which they hold in high esteem becomes more well known I'll never know. I met Frank post-gig last year & had a quick chat, got a few bits signed, nice bloke. Obviously if his popularity continues on it's current upward trajectory such post gig meets will be a thing of the past, so do I call him a sell for becoming more popular and playing bigger venues or live happy that I had the chance to met him when he was lesser known and found out what a genuine bloke he is ??, the latter me thinks. arse lick over :mrgreen: .
:D

moomin

Post by moomin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:39 pm

seamiedev wrote:
agirlnamedfred wrote:I never understood the concept of "sell out" anyway

Why some people get miffed when a lesser-known artist which they hold in high esteem becomes more well known I'll never know. I met Frank post-gig last year & had a quick chat, got a few bits signed, nice bloke. Obviously if his popularity continues on it's current upward trajectory such post gig meets will be a thing of the past, so do I call him a sell for becoming more popular and playing bigger venues or live happy that I had the chance to met him when he was lesser known and found out what a genuine bloke he is ??, the latter me thinks. arse lick over :mrgreen: .
but that isn't selling out, that is becoming popular and successful. Which is a good thing right?
Selling out in my opinion is doing things against your moral judgement to further your career usually at the expense of your creative and artistic merit. Where doing something for the money/girls/ego is more important than doing it for the art.
Personally I think Frank and associates are having way too much fun with making music for the ruling concerns to be the money/girls/ego.
I could be wrong in which case well done Frank you hide it well
:wink: