Frank makes me so emotional.

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

taylor

Frank makes me so emotional.

Post by taylor » Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 am

Anyone else found that when you listen to Frank, you get all these feelings? Like, you want to call up your old best friend or ex who you haven't spoken to in years and you can't because they live in another country or time zone, so you compose sappy, nostalgic texts and e-mails and you don't know what's wrong with you? Like, you're drunk except you're not?

Or is that just me? :|
Making someone feel that it is okay for them to be exactly who they are is the greatest kindness one human being can do for another.

Always make 'em laugh, try to make 'em cry-- always take the stage like it's the last night of your life.

SB

Re: Frank makes me so emotional.

Post by SB » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 am

I'm like that all the time! Literally. There's a fair few people on this forum who can vouch for my soppy, nostalgic, love-being-all-that-I'm-about, loving everything so much I can barely stand it, attitude to life and many have been on the receiving end of my platonic heartfelt declarations of love and gratitude.

I'm all for feeling something about someone and telling them. I'd always rather regret something I did say than something I didn't.

So if Frank's music makes that happen for you then I reckon that's bloody brilliant!!!

traci-ann

Post by traci-ann » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:24 pm

not just you.

i've been listening to tape deck heart a lot lately and "the way i tend to be" feels like a little ball of sunshine entering my heart and expanding till my heart explodes with light. it makes me happy and sad at the same time.

his music also feels very personal, like he's talking to you, he gets you and is going through the same stuff and you just want to sit on a park bench or down by the waterfront and watch the sun go down and have a beer or even just a coffee. doesn't matter because you're home and with a good friend.

so yeah, not just you getting all emotional :wink:
traci-ann

But if ever I stray from the path I follow
Take me down to tBoston Harbor...

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:12 am

I may have a different perspective of emotional but mine all the same.

Son of almost 22 years moved out two weeks ago and he night before I played Poloriod Picture a couple of times and watching Lian & Kaila playing video games in his room had me weepy all night! Man, I miss our family unit but I know, he's ready to move on...

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 pm

I first stumbled upon Long Live The Queen not long after I lost my maternal grandmother to Alzheimer's disease and it completely broke my heart. I didn't just cry, I wept.
Even though she was lost to us, completely and utterly, she was still so wise. Now every time I hear this song I think of not just her, but everybody I've lost.
So much so, my next tattoo will be "You'll live to dance another day, it's just now you'll have to dance, for the two of us".
I'm not small, I'm funsize!

mkejenn

Post by mkejenn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:47 am

Wow, YES! Listening to Frank sends me through such an emotional rollercoaster! So much so that I wrote him an embarrassingly sappy email in the throws of an emotional episode. LOL He was nice enough to reply to my babbling email, which makes me love him all the more! ;-)
~ Jenn ~

agirlnamedfred

Post by agirlnamedfred » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:57 pm

The Way I Tend To Be reminds me so much, not OF my daughter, but of ME with her, and how I want to be so much better than I am and how she seems to have no idea of how truly awful I am compared to whom I strive to be. I know it's not a romantic love but I really kind of "get" it. The bit about love being about all the changes you make and not just three small words chokes me up. We went through a lot to bring her into our lives via adoption from foster care after infertility and every second of that anguish is worth it, every bit of those changes.
Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul. ~~Walt Whitman

moomin

Post by moomin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:15 pm

I can't say Frank's music makes me more emotional than anyone else's music to be honest
But I would hazard a guess that most of us are moved by music in some way otherwise why are we here supporting any artist. With that I am going to go on topic and off it.

The strongest emotional memory I have for specifically for Frank was listening to Tape Deck Heart for the first time whilst walking along the Thames, from Battersea Park up along Victoria and across Green Park under a hot sun just before the Forum gig and feeling exceptionally happy. It has had an effect on how I listen to the album as I see it as something really positive, bright and sunny. Not really in keeping with a break up record, but then I guess if you can write a break up album you must have come through it and that obviously is something to celebrate.

Musically the biggest emotional affect from any band has been BRMC, who upon re discovering felt like I had come home. I can't really describe it any other way.

Saying that, hearing the cover of Plea From A Cat Named Virtute bought me to melting point yesterday, that song has such strong resonance with me, reminds me so much of the cat I lost and I love being reminded of her despite how much it truly hurts. Talk about bittersweet.

Mostly it is about certain songs at certain times, and how they sit in my life at the time which decide how emotionally involved I will be with that artist.

Today I decided if I was to get a tattoo of any other lyric than
I gave my heart to a simple chord
I gave my soul to a new religion

then it would be
if happiness won't come to me
Hand me the nitrous gas
because damnit baby I plan on making life worth it
Last edited by moomin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SB

Post by SB » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Oh god Nitrous Gas by FR gets me like nothing else.

So, music in general moves me. More than anything else.

moomin

Post by moomin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 pm

SB wrote:Oh god Nitrous Gas by FR gets me like nothing else.

So, music in general moves me. More than anything else.
having a bit of a Frabbits mood at the moment, although the rest of the lyrics read like someone is giving into the pain that bit shouts out damn it all I will make this happen for me and I will make sure I can laugh at and about it so bring it on!
I can get on board with that in a big way

with regards to the latter, yes agreed, I loved the T Frank wore to Maida Vale but I would change it to
Dear R'n'R
you break my heart
always
Love Me

Bella

Post by Bella » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 pm

One of the things I love at Frank's gigs - not just the meeting of wonderful people, but the shared stories about what various songs meant to each of us.

Its the most amazing thing to me, to find out that I am not the only one who gets teary eyed during certain songs, or that some songs make me wonder if Frank is some kind of mind reader and he's busy telling the world about my/you/our lives because the lyrics are uncannily describing events that have happened to me/you/us.... whilst at the same time being vague enough not to name names/places/dates.

:D

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

moomin

Post by moomin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Oh yes you nailed it Bella

I am a huge fan of fans, I love all our crazy stories.

Bella

Post by Bella » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 pm

"We have all the best stories to tell...."

:D :D :D
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:30 am

I agree, me too, it is part of his genius!
Long live the queen makes me sob, my Mum died of breast cancer.
Recovery gives me hope as I have been in and out of hospital all year, and am struggling to walk again.
Polaroid picture makes me sob, my Dad died in Feb.
Reasons not to be an idiot kicks me up the arse and makes me keep trying.
Not what the songs are about I know, but pertinent all the same.

SB

Post by SB » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:08 am

sarahg wrote:I agree, me too, it is part of his genius!
Long live the queen makes me sob, my Mum died of breast cancer.
Recovery gives me hope as I have been in and out of hospital all year, and am struggling to walk again.
Polaroid picture makes me sob, my Dad died in Feb.
Reasons not to be an idiot kicks me up the arse and makes me keep trying.
Not what the songs are about I know, but pertinent all the same.
Just wanted to write something to you about struggling to walk after a year in and out of hospital - in January I could have written that sentence.

Obviously everyone is different, and conditions vary, but I left a neuro rehab unit in November with significant paralysis and extensive paraparesis from T6 down. I was pretty much wheelchair bound.

I take a significant amount of medication, work my arse off at physio, have an amazing rehab consultant and am stubborn, but I can now walk with crutches/a stick (both short distances) and am still getting better.

I just couldn't read what you'd written without saying to you that it can get better. Even if it seems dark, hopeless and awful, keep hoping, because amazing things can happen. It can just be a long road ;o)

Xx