Favourite Tape Deck Heart Songs so far.

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Blonde

Re: Favourite Tape Deck Heart Songs so far.

Post by Blonde » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:11 pm

At the moment, aside from Four Simple Words (I feel like its cheating picking that one, its had a massive head start), Plain Sailing Weather is my fave.

tobefrank

Post by tobefrank » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

We Shall Not Overcome is pretty much perfection to me - plus Frank played that as far as back as November at a Sheffield gig so it was already in my consciousness.

There seems to be have a general consensus this week that there's been 'a lot of love for the bonus tracks' and I find it interesting that already popular songs like WSNO, Tattoos, Time Machine, even Cowboy Chords, have been 'limited' to bonus tracks, especially when there are certain songs on the 'main' album which are proving to be slower growers on people.

But on the other hand I sense that these 'bonus' songs don't quite fit into the main theme of the album, both lyrically and tonally, which is why it's ended up as it has. As ultimately, I think all albums to some extent can be described as 'concept' with a degree of thread to them.

Honourable mention to Cowboy Chords from me too, great lyrics to close with, plus the sound instantly reminds me of the Townes van Zandt cover of Dead Flowers which closes the film 'The Big Lebowski'. I believe Frank is a Townes van Zandt fan so it would be interesting to know if there's a conscious influence there as the sound is eerily similar to me.
...about finding that trail that leads away from everyone.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Out of the bonus songs, I really like Cowboy Chords. From the others, I prefer that chunk at the start (Losing Days, The Way I Tend To Be, Plain Sailing Weather, Good & Gone, Tell Tale Signs) as well as Anymore.

Not fussed at all on Four Simple Words - seems a bit cheesy (for want of a better word) to me and Broken Piano.

Really enjoying the album overall. I didn't listen to any of the songs on youtube before hand, and I'd only heard Four Simple Words Live I think. I expected it to be wildly different to everything he'd done before but it's not really. It's a little more polished and there's some extra instrumentation, but all in al it's still a solid and consistent Frank Turner album. For me, it's probably on a par with England Keep My Bones (but not as good all round as SIFTW and LI&S).
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

Unorthadox1080

Post by Unorthadox1080 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:14 pm

If I had no narrow it down to three, I'd say Plain Sailing Weather, Fisher King Blues and Polaroid Picture. Time will tell however.

mintfresh

Post by mintfresh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm

OK... small thing, First, I love Frank, and the new record, could well be his best.
But.... broken piano, is it me, or does the end not remind you of something else... like the Baywatch theme tune or something!

Anyway... still loving the album, Plain Sailing Weather is going to be a live fav I think, it was great on the live stream yesterday.

moomin

Post by moomin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Tell Tale Signs, Polaroid Picture and Fisher King Blues are the top three so far
however Plain Sailing Weather, Oh Brother and Good & Gone aren't that far behind

Tell Tales Signs was the first title I was drawn to as well so glad I like it, wanted to enter the artwork comp but feeling I could be too late for that one
might just do it anyway for something to do.

The only one I think I haven't bonded with yet is The Way I Tend To Be, but I think that's not to far behind, unlike the previous albums where there has been a song I haven't liked/loved on pretty much all of them this one so far hasn't got any that I would consider skipping.

If we include the bonus tracks then Tattoos might get skipped in time but mostly because I have listened to it to death already from the Xtra Mile showcase, However We Shall Not Overcome is a firm favourite and I can see myself playing it a lot.

Skuzafan

Post by Skuzafan » Wed May 01, 2013 4:54 am

I can't stop singing We Shall Not Overcome. I was already in love with Four Simple Words. I also keep going back to Polaroid Picture and Recovery. Other than going back and replaying WSNO, I've pretty much let the cd keep cycling so I can just get familiar with all the songs. Loving it all :D
~Susan

I dance for Cam and Bradley

Leilalei

Post by Leilalei » Wed May 01, 2013 9:40 am

A week and bit on my 2 favourites are narrowed down to Fisher King Blues and Plain Sailing Weather.
But I love every song on the album although Gene Simmons and Undeveloped Film havent had much of a listening to.

I didnt like Broken Piano but I was listening to it through headphones for the first time the other day (as opposed to my shitty laptop sound) and its actually fucking awesome, especially when the drums and shit kick in, goosebumps.
Never put a sock in a toaster!

nihilist waffles

Post by nihilist waffles » Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 am

Tell Tale Signs was one of those songs that just grabbed my attention. I don't think it's my #1 favorite necessarily, but it jumped out at that first listen. We Shall Not Overcome is a great one to just blare. Then I'm also quite fond of Plain Sailing Weather and Four Simple Words. Overall a solid album though.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm really surprised at everyone loving fisher king blues and polaroid picture, probably my least two favourite tracks. Perhaps I'm just a hipster or something :)
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

SpyKi

Post by SpyKi » Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Broken Piano, Plain Sailing Weather, Good and Gone, The Way I Tend To Be.

LoveStreet

Post by LoveStreet » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 am

I would say "Tell Tale Signs" is my favorite off the album. But the entire thing is so good, it's hard to have just one!
(But our beginnings never know our ends!)

unibowler

Post by unibowler » Sun May 05, 2013 2:58 am

Favorite is between Plain Sailing, Recovery, and Polaroid Picture.

Least favorite is either Fisher King, or Oh Brother.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 am

I think Plain Sailing Weather is emerging as my favourite.

moomin

Post by moomin » Sun May 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Recovery seems to be a favourite for the British Touring Cars coverage, heard it every race now usually when they discuss the standings for the championship